Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Do you enjoy being middle aged?

2K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  Luzali 
#1 ·
Some things are better, but is it crazy to say life was more magical as a young adult?

#2 ·
I suppose being middle aged you are wiser than you were when you were younger & less experienced

#5 ·
There was nothing even slightly magical about my young adulthood.

I'm not ready to admit that I'm middle aged yet, but until I lose my health I'm not going to miss being younger.

#7 ·
I'm not middle aged yet, I don't think, but it's nice being older. People make a lot of stupid assumptions about youngsters, and at my age they are starting to leave me alone and accept that I am an adult. I am better off work-wise and my housing is more stable. Health has deterioriated a little, but not so much as to cause serious hassle. What's not to love?

#8 ·
I don't feel middle aged at all. I've been exercising and eating good, so I'm in better shape than I have been in a while. I felt like having a kid, not getting older, really affected how my body started to break down. But with those issues being resolved, I feel much more comfortable in my body. I'm also a lot more sure of my identity and confident in who I am at my age. You spend a lot of your 20's insecure about the world in general.

#11 ·
Indubitably.

#13 ·
Worldwide, the average life expectancy at birth was 71.5 years (68 years and 4 months for males and 72 years and 8 months for females) over the period 2010–2015 according to United Nations World Population Prospects 2015 Revision, or 69 years (67 years for males and 71.1 years for females) for 2016 according to The ...

#15 ·
...Yeah but you can't really go by life expectancy cause it's different for everyone, if someone lives to 100 that means they technically weren't middle aged till 50, if someone dies at 40 years old they were middle aged at 20 :con.....in general I would class middle age as 40 to 60 though I suppose the lines could get blurred either side : /

#19 ·
Well I'm 60 and I don't think it's that great. (no kidding) I think I stopped thinking of myself as middle-aged about 5 or 10 years ago. I guess there are positives - but it obviously depends completely on the individual and their circumstances.

I think in many ways my mental health was better when I was younger - and I had a much busier life. My family life was great and my social life was good too. It's sort of depressing when you get older and your looks fade - you become invisible. I wasn't invisible before - I was pretty vain tbh.

I also worry about getting old - actually moreso for my wife. I hope she doesn't get something horrible like Alzheimer's. That would really break my heart to see that.

Edit: I guess the only really good thing is you no longer have obligations, or at least they are a lot less than before. I'm lucky that I have a pretty full life to look back on, plus I have an ex-wife that I'm still close to and a great son. If I had lived a solitary boring life I think I would be very depressed now.

#21 ·
I think middle age starts soon or varies after 40. If you've ever seen the movie "10", they mention it as "patchwork". Scars don't go away, wrinkles start forming and persist, eye vision focus changes, hair thinning or loss, more white hairs, extra hair starts growing in undesirable places, back aches more, etc.

Ironically, even with all the glut of fad "health" and alternative products out there , it's been reported recently that average lifespan hasn't improved or gotten worse for everyone. So it could be while maybe people can look younger longer, true aging hasn't really been slowed and life threatening diseases and conditions, cancer, Alzheimer's etc. still has much to do with luck in surviving.

#26 ·
I don't much think about it. Denial's a helluva drug.

Ironically, even with all the glut of fad "health" and alternative products out there , it's been reported recently that average lifespan hasn't improved or gotten worse for everyone. So it could be while maybe people can look younger longer, true aging hasn't really been slowed and life threatening diseases and conditions, cancer, Alzheimer's etc. still has much to do with luck in surviving.
Life expectancy has decreased because the wealth gap has grown. Fewer people, on average, can afford expensive medical interventions that prolong life. So the average life expectancy goes down, even if the wealthiest continue to live slightly longer each year.

#24 ·
Rotfl!

But seriously there are pluses and minuses. I've learned some important life lessons with age (34 so maybe just hitting middle age?) like the importance of work life balance and knowing my worth.
But my body doesn't function as well as when I was younger - my lower back is a ***** - and I'm starting to wonder if I'm too old for crop tops 🙂

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.