Social Anxiety Forum - View Single Post - Psychotherapy Scams?
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:20 AM
Hopeful12
SAS Member

Hiii there friendly fearful

I think a lot of them believe they can help, but if they were asked to provide evidence of recovery, they'd be hard-pressed to produce it.

I'm sorry you've had such an awful experience. We trust people to help; this is your life we're talking about. It makes me angry that people can be so casual about another's well-being, and there are no consequences.

I was diagnosed with social anxiety, OCD, panic attacks in 2003. I'm on Cipramil which stopped the panic attacks immediately. I've tried CBT but found it quite shallow. In another thread I've written about another therapy, ISTDP, which I found to be very effective.

I initially was with a supervised psychologist as she was in her 3rd year and I seemed to get along with her well. She though would end up arguing with me about things which was immensely frustrating and counter productive. She was still green and trying to find her way. To her credit, she informed me her supervisor was much better at this therapy than she was.

Then last year her supervisor moved up from Melbourne and I started seeing him: very professional he was and I started making great progress til my money ran out.

I've had 30 years of some truly shonky therapists who, looking back now, I'm disgusted that they could look me in the eye and take my money. CBT did give a little relief only so much as I could talk about things and get it off my chest but I NEVER got close to recovery like I have in ISTDP.

Hope it has helped😊

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome