Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Has anybody tried Propranolol?

15K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  easydoesit 
#1 ·
I was prescribed propranolol and am not familiar with it. Does anybody know anything about it in regards to fight or flight response? I saw some reviews explaining how it has the potential to effect the heart negatively in an otherwise healthy individual. Haven’t taken it yet.

#2 ·
It's a beta blocker most commonly used to treat irregular/fast heart rates, but also used for anxiety. According to my pharmacology textbook, propranolol can cause difficulty breathing if overdosed for a healthy individual.

Why was it prescribed to you, for the reasons why could help explain if you could encounter any negative side effects.

#3 ·
It's a beta blocker most commonly used to treat irregular/fast heart rates, but also used for anxiety. According to my pharmacology textbook, propranolol can cause difficulty breathing if overdosed for a healthy individual.

Why was it prescribed to you, for the reasons why could help explain if you could encounter any negative side effects.
It was basically prescribed for anxiety and times of panic, but only because everything else my doc tried for anxiety didn't work. I don't necessarily have a high heart rate issue anymore, as I don't experience fight or flight anywhere near as often as I used to. I also take ashwagandha which seems to help even further with this.

I'm just skeptical of propranolol because Ive always thought I had low blood pressure, not high. In addition to that, I wasn't tested or anything so I don't see why my doc would prescribe a med that treats high blood pressure if I wasn't diagnosed.

#5 ·
I had it for a while to treat anxiety on a 'take it when you need it' basis. It worked pretty well for me, but I tried not to take it if I could help it, not because it's bad for you or anything but i didn't want to become reliant on drugs to fix my anxiety, but it certainly helped me out when I really needed it :)

#7 ·
I had it for a while to treat anxiety on a 'take it when you need it' basis. It worked pretty well for me, but I tried not to take it if I could help it, not because it's bad for you or anything but i didn't want to become reliant on drugs to fix my anxiety, but it certainly helped me out when I really needed it
I'm glad it worked for you. I've always had that same mindset about drugs like this. Just hoping it will go well and not stop my heart lol

#11 ·
It worked for me to "mask the symptoms", i.e. heart racing, and chest pain that anxiety induced... without causing too much drowsiness. It still made me feel tired tho bc it dropped my blood pressure, and I was on the lowest dose. But I didn't really feel "calm". I still felt physical symptoms of anxiety (tense shoulders, muscle pain etc). Also if you are in a testing environment beta blockers affect memory and recall. So I had to stop taking them.

#12 ·
:nerd:I liked propanolol because it isn't too hard core. Few side effects. If you are going into a panic-inducing situation you start to have 'anticipated anxiety'. you cause your anxiety attacks because you are afraid of the anxiety symptoms. So, a beta blocker stops the reaction once or twice, you stop anticipating it, then you aren't dealing with the monster of anxiety reactions, just the run of the mill nervousness and insecurities. There are still issues you will have to address, but it is a nice little tool.

Personally I didn't have the negative effects. But different people react differently :/ maybe there is something out there that will work better for you

#18 ·
Propranolol

I used to have to testify frequently in court, and I was always a nervous wreck. I read in an article that propranolol can help to calm a person down, so I asked my Dr and he agreed to write a script. This was over 30 yrs ago, it was actually Inderal then. It does keep me calm, makes social interaction easier, and I'm more confident when I'm on it. I don't like that it seems to "slow me down" tho, and I find I consume more coffee when I'm on it. I take it when needed, and usually only one half of a 10 mg pill. Interestingly, I also take Adderall and the combination really keeps me focused and steady. I'm actually at my best with this combination, but I don't combine them often at all because I'm not sure of the long term effects.
This is my first post, so glad I found this forum...thank you!

#25 ·
I know this thread is a little old from 2018, but I don't post here often. I was diagnosed with GAD many years ago and the psychiatrist gave me 10mg propranolol with .5mg Xanax. I have a job which requires occasional public speaking and it was getting to the point where my heart was palpitating and I couldn't think straight. The combination propranolol/Xanax cured it. I get up in front of dozens of people with this combo Rx and things go well. Sometimes, I'll take a little more Xanax (.25mg) and once or twice a little more propranolol (5mg more) ... but must say this is my go-to for speaking in public. I also use it to be in meetings when I'm leading them, too.

All in all, propranolol is a great drug and treatment for me.

Good luck and God Bless You. Having anxiety is a terrible curse. Having a support system makes it so much easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.