Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

How much did you pay for your eyeglasses?

• $0-50

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • $50-100

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • $100-150

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • $150-200

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • $200-250

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • $250-300

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • $300-350

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • $350-400

• $450-500

• Over $500

Votes: 4 11.1%

How much did you pay for your eyeglasses?

5K views 51 replies 22 participants last post by  Mlt18 
#1 ·
Not including the exam costs.

#3 ·
Why do you ask?

#5 ·
Usually I get glasses on online since I only wear glasses when at home. I wear contact lenses when I leave the house.

But recently I got vision insurance from my work. In general vision insurance isn't that great though and they only pay for partial costs. So I was wondering how much in-house optometrists charge. None of them post their fees online of course.....since they are shady. My insurance isn't very easy to understand either.

#10 ·
Anyways, at the minimum I need an eye exam, since I haven't had an eye exam since 2011. Need to make sure the prescription hasn't changed and also to check on the "freckle" in my eye (small risk of turning into cancer). Not sure if I will get glasses or contacts through the insurance. The insurance with either pay for contact lenses or glasses. Not both.

The damn thing is the insurance pays for less if you go to an out-of-network optician or online glasses/contact lens website. The in-network ones all sell overprices glasses and contact lenses.

https://eyecancer.com/eye-cancer/conditions/choroidal-tumors/choroidal-nevus/

#15 ·
215$ in 2012 just the lens and frames. From 2014 'til now i wear reading glasses for school and work for a few hours daily. I tried Warby Parker, but paying 90$ for just the frame, idk. I also have a strong prescription, so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet.

#17 ·
I actually thought my glasses were expensive, someone else I knew when I bought them balked at the price and said he got his for like £30 online somewhere or something. £100+ is a lot for me either way though. I haven't bought a new pair in seven years for this reason.

#18 ·
I really don't remember how much the glasses I have now cost. It's been quite a while since I got them. I have been past the point where I needed a new exam for a long time (probably because diabetes) but that's not happening anytime soon.

Most likely mine were about $200. I remember turning down a bunch of special coatings and stuff. I actually got two pairs just in case but for some reason the frames on the other pair never fit me right. And also I didn't put much thought into the frames I picked out and I ended up hating the way they look even if they did fit.

I did try Zenni a couple of years ago (before I lost my prescription) but I screwed up and entered one of my eyes wrong. When I got them they were surprisingly nice and I could tell they would have worked perfectly if I had gotten the prescription right but by that time I had lost it and that was the end of that. I honestly don't know how I got it wrong because I remember double checking it at least once.

#20 ·
Over $500. I get the highest quality top name brands like ray bans or oakley and the best possible lenses regardless of price. I'm not rich. I have been wearing glasses my entire life and considering you can get years out of one pair of glasses you might as well have the best.

In my experience the expensive labels really do feel so much better. They are made out of higher quality materials, weigh less and are stronger.

The better I look, the better I feel. It does hurt handing over so much money, but I believe it's worth it if you wear your glasses everyday. I just think of it as paying a really expensive rip-off bill you have no choice but to pay. At least my top quality glasses reward me everyday for years to come.

Edit: I probably should have added I use two pairs of glasses. One expensive pair as stated above and another cheap pair for work. The cheap ones are very satisfactory for work and save damaging the expensive ones. Also there is nothing worse then breaking your glasses and not having a backup pair.

#21 ·
Too damn much.

I bought mine on a special where (supposedly) you get a FREE pair of frames if you buy one pair and an eye exam.

Ended up paying over $600 when all was said and done. :no

#23 ·
I think mine was about $350. It was one of those same-day places that wasn't on my insurance.

#28 ·
If you buy the glasses at a regular optometrist (not Zenni), I actually think it's cheaper to wear contact lenses. Especially if you have a strong prescription and need high index lenses in order to not end up with coke bottles.

Weird. All these years I thought it was the cheaper to wear glasses.
I can't wear contacts though. I can't put things in my eyes. I can't even do eyedrops.

#31 ·
I think it was about $300 for the two pairs I got last year from the optometrist. After I got them, I got more from Zenni, which cost between $20 and $35 a pair. I wear those more than the expensive ones. One of the expensive pairs I have hurt my ear, so I can never wear them for long. The optometrist said my eyes shouldn't change much for a few years, so I have about 13 pairs of glasses (I can still wear my old prescription because it's not much different).

I wanted to get contact lenses, but they said I wouldn't see as well with them and they would be expensive to get made. I still want coloured ones that aren't prescription so I can change my eye colour whenever I want. My eyes get itchy easily, so I probably couldn't wear them.

#33 ·
Today I went to some big eyeglass place just to get an idea of what looks good on me. Definitely my right ear is higher than the left ear, so all the glasses sit crooked on my face. I asked the lady there what they do in that situation and she said they heat up the frame and bend it. For the past few years, I've mainly been using wire frames, so I guess I always just adjusted them myself. Plastic frames are a bit trickier. If you bend too far you'll break them.

Tried on like over 100 pairs of glasses. And yep, I look pretty damn ugly in glasses. Don't have a face suitable for glasses. I see that the new trend is to wear cat eye glasses, which just looks awful on me. I'd say like over 80% of the women's glasses they had were cat eye shape. Same thing with these other online eyeglass sites. Almost all cat eye shape.

This is cat eye:

#41 ·
Tried on like over 100 pairs of glasses. And yep, I look pretty damn ugly in glasses. Don't have a face suitable for glasses. I see that the new trend is to wear cat eye glasses, which just looks awful on me. I'd say like over 80% of the women's glasses they had were cat eye shape. Same thing with these other online eyeglass sites. Almost all cat eye shape.

This is cat eye:

Those are not attractive glasses for women, IMO. I know they're in fashion right now but I personally don't like them. Aside from that, almost every woman looks sexier in glasses if she gets the right ones. There are some plastic ones that look good on just about every woman but they're probably not "in style" right now so if you get them people will treat you like there's something wrong with you because you don't want to look just like everyone else.

I don't know if I'd call those cat eye. I mean, that might be what they're called but I'm not sure why. They look more owl-like to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.