Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Therapy...So so so nervous

683 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  TheAbundanceGuy 
#1 ·
Hey all..So I'm about to go to my dads to set an appointment for therapy..I have severe social anxiety/phobia (cant even socialize with family) and I dont think I've been more scared yet also excited at the same time. I just really need to get rid of this and have a normal life :serious:

Anyone here been through therapy? What was it like? How anxious did you feel and if you remember what were the questions they asked?

Thank you :grin2:

#2 ·
Hey all..So I'm about to go to my dads to set an appointment for therapy..I have severe social anxiety/phobia (cant even socialize with family) and I dont think I've been more scared yet also excited at the same time. I just really need to get rid of this and have a normal life :serious:

Anyone here been through therapy? What was it like? How anxious did you feel and if you remember what were the questions they asked?

It's going to be a completely different experience with each therapist. I've had really bad, really good, and mediocre experiences. Just go in with an open mind but don't be afraid to look for another therapist if you don't match with this one. I've read that one of the most important factors of whether therapy helps is if you trust them and feel supported by them.

#3 ·
Honestly, I think just going there and sitting with a therapist is amazing. I would write something ahead of time just to say you are new to this and isn't really comfortable doing much and just give it to the therapist when it begins. It is so important that your therapist builds a sense of honesty and a sense of trust and it is really hard to gain back any trust. There is no doubt your therapist is going to invade your privacy and ask very personal questions. Remember, you don't have to response to them; it's okay to say "I am not comfortable answering that at this moment". But it is their job to do so. If you ever think it is too much, you can ask to be excused for a little bit; I am sure they will understand. It is important you to at it your own pace. And you should always be the one to set that pace.

#5 ·

Hi Mick,

The thing to try and remember is that they're job is to try and help you - they aren't there to judge you in any way, shape or form. And their opinion of you as a person is completely irrelevent. Their job is to try and ascertain what the problem is and then attempt to do something about it.

The problem when you first start going is that you'll be nervous and inexperienced. You won't have any other therapists to compare them with.

It can be hard to find a good one. I've talked to so many people over the years and tbh most I think were pretty mediocre - but I guess they tried their best. Have you looked at their website to see if they have any experience with people and anxiety issues?

First sessions will most likely be getting to know you a bit (taking a bit of a history), and hearing about your life in general. And basically just talking about what you see the problem as being and what you expect from them.

#6 ·
My experience was i was shaking i was so nervous but dont be scared to tell them everything mine was great she just asked me what triggers my anxiety and stuff and asked what is my biggest fear what is the end goal you want to have set

Just remember your going to have days where you can do anything then other days when you want to just quit

Good luck hopefully you can beat your anxiety

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Hey there,

We'll done, it's a huge step being able to do this and go to a therapist.

Strongly believe if you do a little every day, to step outside your comfort zone it helps. This is the 1st major step. So congrats to you, please keep us posted on how you are doing.

All we need is something to push a boundary, that is the 1st step, after you go, ask yourself 1 question: What was I so worried about in the 1st place and say to yourself it could always be worse then it is now. Every time you do that, you will get better and better and better, just takes time. Do this with every scenario :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.