Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

What are some things that you're doing to treat your SA?

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  BrokeTech 
#1 ·
What are you doing that pushes you out of your comfort zone and is helping you with your recovery? This includes little things like saying "hi" to a stranger everyday.

I wasn't sure where to post this, so feel free to move this if it's more appropriate elsewhere.

I'll start.

I'm seeing a therapist every week, and I have been trying different meds out over the past year. I've been more independent. I used to ask my dad to make appointments for me, and he would drive me everywhere because I was too scared. I finally got past these things over time, and I now make most of my appointments on my own and drive myself everywhere. I've been posting my opinion on SAS more which is something I was afraid to do before. I just signed up for this 6 week anxiety workshop that starts next month, and I'm hoping that'll help as well.

#2 ·
. Being here.
. Taking small practical steps when it comes to work. Doing it all one step at a time. It's more of 2 steps forward, 3 steps back. But moving along slowly but surely.
. Actively nurturing current relationships. I'm not always consistent, though.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

#3 ·
~ Trusting in God
~ Practicing driving
~ Working
~ Talking to coworkers a little
~ Trying to go to more "social" events
~ Youtube vids

#4 ·
- I've started a 12-to-16-week (weekly one-on-one sessions) 'interpersonal psychotherapy' regimen (which is meant to improve upon relationships and address social anxiety as a means to alleviate depression).

- I attend a weekly 'open peer support group' (it's ongoing and no-referral/drop-in, so the participants vary week-to-week).

- I am avoiding less often (I take care of my own day-to-day affairs like groceries or banking, etc., and I take advantage of most family social invitations).

- I am more open about my struggles with more people (some members of my extended family are now fully familiar with my problems, so with them, I feel less pressure to be something I'm not).

Beyond that, I see a counselor regularly, and I'm on wait lists for two other groups (a 'CBT for Depression' group and some 'mental wellness' peer group tentatively scheduled to start in the fall).

I just signed up for this 6 week anxiety workshop that starts next month, and I'm hoping that'll help as well.
Good luck with that :)

#8 ·
- I've started a 12-to-16-week (weekly one-on-one sessions) 'interpersonal psychotherapy' regimen (which is meant to improve upon relationships and address social anxiety as a means to alleviate depression).

- I attend a weekly 'open peer support group' (it's ongoing and no-referral/drop-in, so the participants vary week-to-week).

- I am avoiding less often (I take care of my own day-to-day affairs like groceries or banking, etc., and I take advantage of most family social invitations).

- I am more open about my struggles with more people (some members of my extended family are now fully familiar with my problems, so with them, I feel less pressure to be something I'm not).

Beyond that, I see a counselor regularly, and I'm on wait lists for two other groups (a 'CBT for Depression' group and some 'mental wellness' peer group tentatively scheduled to start in the fall).
Wow, you're really all in on treating your SA, huh? Do you think these things are helping so far? If so, which seems to help the most, if you can tell?

I'm not really doing anything on purpose to treat my SA, except taking anxiety supplements. I'm forced to interact with customers at my job at times, and I'm forced to ask for help/ask questions at work. But I feel like I go in circles with stuff like that, like "exposure therapy" and CBT just do not help me with any of these types of things--it's constantly anxiety about talking to customers-->try to avoid-->forced to talk to customers-->anxiety about talking to customers-->try to avoid-->forced to talk to customers-->anxiety about...and on and on. The supplements tend to help with things like pre-event symptoms, and how I react in and to these situations and their outcomes, though, even if the outcomes are embarrassing or otherwise bad.

#6 ·
-Seeing a psychologist once a week, talk based therapy.
-Doing exposure exercises daily (or at least *something* outside my comfort zone)
-Generally trying to take any resources available to me that include things like groups
-Keeping to my schedule which includes stuff like swimming and gym which force me to be around people and sometimes interact

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.