Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Post a Quote that Inspires You

566K views 5K replies 1K participants last post by  Starcut83 
#1 ·
I'll start.... with 2

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.

Helen Keller

I do not want the peace which passeth understanding, I want the understanding which bringeth peace.

Helen Keller

I take this to mean ... for me... that I can't give in to this urge, like I have been, to stay home and avoid all the hard and uncomfortable stuff out there... I have to make myself uncomfortable, make myself sick to my stomach, risk embarrassment and failure and push through the suckiest stuff - like I used to - and make myself get back out there and live this freakin' life the best I can and then try to go one step better than that.

Now - to just find more motivation around here to do that... nope, it's not under the couch, or under my bed or in my closet... where they hell is my motivation hiding?

See less See more
#5 ·
The two quotes in my signature. One of them is in Hebrew. It means "This too shall pass", reminding me that any bad moment will pass and I will be happy again. It is pronounced "Gam Zeh YaAvor"

Also the entire Beatles song "Here Comes The Sun"

#7 ·
I have a lot of quotes I like, here are a couple

It does not matter who you were, all that matters is who you are
it does not matter where you are from, just where you are at
It does not matter what you drive, but rather what drives you

I also like this one

Today is just another day to not care about what happened yesterday.

That last one I made up myself

#14 ·
This is a great quote. I find it genuinely helps me when I'm dealing with people who act mean.

Here's another one:

"Be selfish" - A family friend told me that once

"What do YOU want to do?" - Another family friend asked me that once. It really shocked me. I didn't know I was allowed to ask myself that. I thought I had to do what my mom wanted me to do.

"I feel like people get over it" - my work friend's response to me saying, "but didn't your family get upset when you went up and left to a foreign country for a semester?"

Be selfish
People don't need me as much as I think they do
So I just have to do what I want
and if people throw temper tantrums about it
just remember, they will get over it
because they can take care of themselves better than they think they can
and they will find a power in themselves to do what they want to do too

-I made that up actually. It might be extreme and sound bad. But the thing is, being selfish doesn't have to be bad. If I genuinely want to help someone, that is me being "selfish" because I'm doing what I want to do. But it's better than doing something just because someone else asks me to do it. I was kind of hesitant to post this because I'm afraid people will interpret it the wrong way as though we shouldn't care about people. I'm not saying that at all.

#19 ·
Philippians 4:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

#22 ·
I'm pretty obsessed with Eleanor Roosevelt quotes. An amazing woman.

-Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

-Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product.

-Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

And my FAVORITE one:

-We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.

#25 ·
And when I stand on these tables before you
You will know what all this time was for-John Mayer

He's talking about how he spent years 6 hours each day crammed in his little room practicing guitar and writing songs when his parents and everyone around him told him he should be making friends. I find it inspiring that he found his "thing" and really capatalized on it instead of wasting all his time worrying and complaining about why he was so socially ackward and not well liked. (i do realize that fame has made him a doushe but trust me cuz I've followed him for a long time he wasn't always this way.)

#26 ·
heard THIS quote lately. don't know who wrote it, but it really stuck out to me and is inspiring
"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand."

marylin monroe had lovely quotes aswell, so true
"No one ever told me I was pretty when I was a little girl. All little girls should be told they're pretty, even if they aren't."

"Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

#2,641 ·
It'd probably have been better for me as an ugly girl to have heard that it's not the end of the world if you are ugly looking and a female. Why in the world should all little girls be told they are pretty even if they aren't? It seems that would give a girl a misguided view on the importance of being pretty...I mean, if being pretty is so important that adults should actively lie to kids about it then the ugly child will just have that much more of a rude awakening when real life creeps in and is in direct contrast with what she has been taught is the truth.

I'm glad you get comfort from those quotes though, even if they are not my cup of tea.

#27 ·
Shakespeare:

Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once.
Of all the wonders that I yet have heard,
It seems to me most strange that men should fear;
Seeing that death, a necessary end,
Will come when it will come.