Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Cop gave me a ticket for running a stop sign. What should I plead or do?

1K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  gunner21 
#1 ·
I saw lights go off about 200 feet behind me and I pulled over and the cop was pulling me over. The cop came up and asked for my license. He asked If I knew why I was pulled over and I said no. He said I ran a stop sign. He then said "Didn't even see it did you." I don't remember it. I know there is a stop sign back there but I don't remember it. Normally when nobody is there I slow down and stop for a half second and go. He says I ran through it. I'm not sure if they have a dash cam on it or not and I'm afraid to plead not guilty, but if I'm guilty that could hurt my chances at going for a new mail carrier job at the post office.

#2 ·
Dash cam or not, you have a slim chance of the court taking your word over the officer's. Unless you have some very solid evidence that you didn't speed through it, you probably have a lot more to lose than to gain by fighting it (expensive court fees in addition to whatever effect it has on your job prospects).

#4 ·
I don't like cops, I got a ticket once and it was turning red but I passed before it did, I even saw it wasn't red yet even while I crossed, I was so pissed off that I opened and slammed the door like 3 times while cursing while the female cop was behind me parked, then I left the door open and just lay low so the cop couldn't even see my head

Nas

I peeped you frontin, I was in the Jeep
Sunk in the seat, tinted with heat, beats bumpin
Across the streat you was wildin
Talkin bout how you ran the Island in eighty-nine
Layin up, playin the yard with crazy shine

#6 ·
I don't like cops, I got a ticket once and it was turning red but I passed before it did, I even saw it wasn't red yet even while I crossed, I was so pissed off that I opened and slammed the door like 3 times while cursing while the female cop was behind me parked, then I left the door open and just lay low so the cop couldn't even see my head
Don't blame you for being mad, but I'm surprised acting that way didn't escalate things with the police officer.

#8 ·
It sounds like you probably ran through it without knowing it at the time even though you knew it was there before. I don't think it's a big deal. I wouldn't challenge it and if there is an optional driving remedial class it would be better for the insurance. But yes, I dislike these cops hanging around at corners or in spots looking to ambush for their quota while they don't bother with real endangering crimes. Some of them don't even make a signal turning.

#11 ·
I never been pulled over for a stop sign but speeding i have everytime i get let off just agree with them and make out what you did was very dumb i was doing 100km/h in a 40km/h zone he let me go because i was not a smart *** and admited to what i did wrong
2nd time i was drag racing on my way to work cop did not catch up to me until i was parked he just checked my licence and gave me a talk about how he does not wish to knock on my family door and tell them i have died so i missed 4k worth of fines plus my car been impounded and lost of licence for two years

#14 ·
Fight it. Always fight your tickets. Sometimes the cop doesn't even show up to the court hearing which means your ticket is null. If you put a claim in the court to fight it, they'll probably give you a date months from now. There are a lot of things that can go wrong during that time. Hell, the officer may even totally forget about the violation. Always fight your tickets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.