Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

"Online Therapy" for Social Anxiety Disorder (Social Phobia)

78K views 29 replies 25 participants last post by  CaptainPeanuts 
#1 ·
What has your experience been with online therapy? Positive? Negative? Neutral?

Was it for a commercial website or for a research study? What website or study was it?

What kind of therapy was used (e.g. Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy)?

How did you view the experience overall?

For more information, please see our Online Therapy page.

#3 ·
LearntoLive

I actually had a great experience with a new online program called "Learn to Live." I was introduced to it through a friend who knew I was struggling, and though I was skeptical, I was willing to give it a try. I was tired of doing nothing about my anxiety or not seeing improvement from weekly counseling sessions. In this program, I revisited concepts learned in counseling, but I got to work through the program at my own pace. It was easy to use, non-threatening, and addressed my anxiety about food, which I thought would be too specific for it to catch. It provided challenges for me such as fear facing and diving deep into your automatic thoughts. By the end of the program, I was able to successfully go on my first date with my current boyfriend, something that was nearly impossible for me previous to my use of the program.

I would highly recommend the use of the online Learn to Live program. I was really helped by it, as long as you stick with it and take the homework seriously. Here is a link to the website: http://www.learntolive.com/

Hope this helps, and keep fighting that anxiety! You can do it if you are determined to beat it!!

#19 ·
I actually had a great experience with a new online program called "Learn to Live." I was introduced to it through a friend who knew I was struggling, and though I was skeptical, I was willing to give it a try. I was tired of doing nothing about my anxiety or not seeing improvement from weekly counseling sessions. In this program, I revisited concepts learned in counseling, but I got to work through the program at my own pace. It was easy to use, non-threatening, and addressed my anxiety about food, which I thought would be too specific for it to catch. It provided challenges for me such as fear facing and diving deep into your automatic thoughts. By the end of the program, I was able to successfully go on my first date with my current boyfriend, something that was nearly impossible for me previous to my use of the program.

I would highly recommend the use of the online Learn to Live program. I was really helped by it, as long as you stick with it and take the homework seriously. Here is a link to the website: http://www.learntolive.com/

Hope this helps, and keep fighting that anxiety! You can do it if you are determined to beat it!!
roberh98 joined this site, made one post to promote L2L, and disappeared. Not that I would suggest his/her (whatever) post was actually from made by L2L. :sus

#7 ·
Correction Learn To Live Pricing

Hi PaxBritannica,
I am Stephen Bowie, Director of Member Outreach at Learn to Live. I'd like to correct some misinformation you seem to have found - the program is currently free for all users for a three month trial period (the normal price is $149 for the same period). At the end of the trial period, no charges will be made to any accounts unless an individual elects to continue using the program. One simply has to use the coupon code found on the website at <https://www.learntolive.com/get-started/> to sign up and use the program for free. If you have any questions about the program, or would like to share where you came across the misinformation about the price, please feel free to contact me directly via this site or at <sbowie@learntolive.com>.

Best,
Stephen Bowie
Director of Member Outreach
Learn To Live

#9 ·
Hi PaxBritannica,
I am Stephen Bowie, Director of Member Outreach at Learn to Live. I'd like to correct some misinformation you seem to have found - the program is currently free for all users for a three month trial period (the normal price is $149 for the same period). At the end of the trial period, no charges will be made to any accounts unless an individual elects to continue using the program. One simply has to use the coupon code found on the website at <https://www.learntolive.com/get-started/> to sign up and use the program for free. If you have any questions about the program, or would like to share where you came across the misinformation about the price, please feel free to contact me directly via this site or at <sbowie@learntolive.com>.

Best,
Stephen Bowie
Director of Member Outreach
Learn To Live
hi wanted to try this site, but don't see the coupon code. Could i get some help with that.

#8 ·
I'm not sure how I'd feel about it. I have never tried it though it sounds interesting. I'd have to look into cost and if there's insurance involved.

#10 ·
New Coupon Code for 30% Discount

Thanks for the inquiry. The coupon code you're referring to was tied to a unique promotion and expired at the end of July. That said, we're always trying to work with people who suffer from social anxiety to get them the help they need. We're currently offering a 30% discount to anyone using the updated coupon code LIVENOW1. We're excited for your interest in the Program and hope you'll join our community. Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any other questions.

#16 ·
I am just about through the online course about Social Anxiety at Learn to Live. It's about $150 so if you can afford that I'd recommend it. If you can't a workbook would be good albeit not as multimodal/interactive.

The course is self-paced but if you fall behind L2L sends prompts which is kind of nice if you are a bit of a procrastinator. The content is straightforward and simple to understand. There's lots of encouragement to do the fear facing exercises and it's done in small doses so I didn't find it overwhelming.

I have not seen the new forum so must check that out. They do have a feature where you can have "Teammates" from your life, people who will cheer you on basically.

#17 ·
I think therapy online sounds like it could be useful if you live in a rural area where there just are not a lot of therapists around. But the rates they charge...makes me feel like I would probably be getting scammed. I know they need to make a living and all, but still. I guess I felt the same with a face-to-face therapist too, though...

I never really know whether my therapist really wants to help or is just doing it for the money. Charging by the minute, or even by the hour makes it all seem monetary to me.

#21 ·
I have a lot of social aniexty, hard to look my own brother in the eyes when we speak sometimes. I feel it inside me when I pass a person who is extroverted, I feel like I'm all shaky inside, and the worst fear is that they'll notice me as shy. I fear that the most and will try anything to mask that. Cause I need to always look super confident. I put a lot of pressure on myself to uphold that look. For some reason I put this belief in my head that if an extroverted person sees me shy my whole world will crumble. I know it's a fake fear but it's so hard to shake. And I feel the other person will see my shyness and be shocked and act like they have never seen anything like this before, when I know everyone has some degree of shyness in them. I hate shyness!!!

#22 ·
Also, my shyness I really see it as a hugh life hindering problem. I think about it everyday. I wish I can just power over it and say, it's not a hugh part of my everyday life, it's a small glitch in my life. Because by saying its a hugh part of life, I feed the fear 100 % which to me is a terrible thing to do. I don't want to feed this fear anymore!

#23 ·
Dr. Richards author of "Overcoming Social Anxiety", the step by step program offers online therapy sessions. I would definitely recommend that over any other. I would do it if I had a more serious case of anxiety, but I don't so am going to erase my fears by reading the book and practicing on the general public. My ultimate goal is to join toastmasters and give speeches.

#29 ·
Have you ever considered letting your fears just be? I know this sounds nuts and for years I put on a fake serious, tough guy macho look. But it's just that an act. Why not embrace your fears and if they give you funny looks who cares? It's okay to be shy and we all experience it at some point.

#30 ·
Yeah, I think that there may be hope in these paid therapy sites but I really believe that anyone can create a "social anxiety cure" that is not real, and sell it on the market without getting in trouble.

No disrespect to the therapy sites already mentioned here but, that is what I believe. We've really gone through enough already and why should we pay for something that we should really get for free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.