Social Anxiety Forum - View Single Post - "Health Anxiety" Anyone?
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 01:17 PM
Depo
Certified Human

My Mood: Devilish
Medication is the only thing that has helped me ease my health anxiety. When I look back at the person I used to be before taking meds, I think about all the pain that health anxiety had caused me. I was 100% sure I had cancer and every little symptom was the beginning of a terrible disease. An eye tick that wouldn't go away and hyperalgesia in my arms = brain cancer, chronic abdominal pain and bleeding = colon cancer/chrohn's disease, a new mole I wasn't aware of = melanoma.

My health anxiety got to the point I could barely function at work, sometimes I had to ask permission in order to leave early (because I was feeling intense abdominal pain), panic attacks that would make think about death and bouts of crying that wouldn't stop. My bf (whom I used to live with) started to think I was crazy, said I was exaggerating. It was madness. I felt that my own body was my worst enemy. I thought I was losing my mind, obsessing over these symptoms which occupied my mind day and night.

Then I went to a psychiatrist and he prescribed me benzos and it all stopped. It didn't stop at once, but suddenly I found myself not caring about the diseases.

I even have a tiny flesh-colored bump on my cheek (less than 1 mm in diameter) which I'm pretty sure is basal-cell carcinoma (the most common form of cancer in the human body, but is not lethal), that hasn't healed for over 2 years and I need to use corticoesteroid cream in order to keep it at bay (I can barely see it when I look at the mirror.) because if I don't use it it starts to feel itchy. A dermatologist told me it was just a wart, but I don't think so. It hasn't grown in size, but even when I think about surgery (if I ever need it), I don't feel anxious about it. But it was meds that took me out of that hole, which IMO is worse than SA.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome