Social Anxiety Forum - View Single Post - Lexapro (escitalopram) [SSRI]

View Single Post
post #310 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 06:36 PM
ZacharyJ
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
I've lurked this forum off and on for a few years but never made an account, but I just had to so I could post a review.

Let me say right off the bat, I no longer have a problem with social anxiety and Lexapro was a huge part of that. Before I started Lexapro, I had nothing. No high school degree, no job, no license, no car - absolutely nothing. I sat in my house all day, every day for literally half a decade, crippled by my social anxiety.

Within six months of starting Lexapro, everything changed. I started by getting into college - a difficult task with no high school education, but I did it. Then I got a job. Then I got my license and a car. And somewhere along the way, I lost my social anxiety.

Was it solely the Lexapro though? No, definitely not. I went to a therapist once a week and, pretty early into my college entrance, I forced myself to join the Student Government organization, which in turn forced me to attend regular social events.

To sum this up, I don't believe Lexapro or any drug can 'cure' social anxiety, but it certainly did make it possible for me to begin exposure therapy by forcing myself into social situations, which rapidly resolved my anxiety.

I've been off Lexapro now for a month (terrible withdrawal symptoms by the way - every day for weeks I had incredibly horrifying vivid nightmares) and I have never felt better in my entire life. I'm still socially awkward and uncomfortable at times, but that's just a consequence of years of being socially crippled.

That's my review. I wish you all the best of luck with your social anxiety.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome