Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Magnesium

134K views 55 replies 40 participants last post by  millenniumman75 
#1 ·
Magnesium in treatment-resistant depression (TRD)

There has been some speculation that magnesium deficiency can lead to depression. Cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) magnesium has been found low in treatment-resistant suicidal depression and in patients that have attempted suicide. Brain magnesium has been found low in TRD using phosphorus nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, an accurate means for measuring brain magnesium. Blood and CSF magnesium do not appear well-correlated with major depression.[33] Magnesium chloride in relatively small doses was found to be as effective in the treatment of depressed elderly type 2 diabetics with hypomagnesemia as imipramine 50 mg daily.[34]

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium#Magnesium_in_treatment-resistant_depression_.28TRD.29
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16542786
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19944540

#2 ·
Well

Unfortunately, it didn't do anything for me as far as relaxation goes. There are different forms though so I haven't completely given up on it yet. I tried the magnesium citrate (powdered form) and it sent me to the bathroom and kept me regular but did nothing for relaxation. Actually, most forms of magnesium are known for doing that in high doses. Anyway, I've heard nothing but good things about magnesium taurate. It's a superior form because the taurine in it acts on the gaba receptors along with the magnesium (supposedly) relaxing your body. If after trying that, I see no success then I'll consider it a fail. By the way, magnesium oxide is the WORST form of magnesium to use. That's the one that you'll find in 99% of the stores. It's bioavailability is very low. Your body will only absorb 4% of the magnesium making it pretty much useless.

Reactions: ianm91
#3 ·
Magnesium Taurate worked for me, but currently I'm taking Doctor's Best chelated magnesium. Supposedly it has the highest absorption of them all and I haven't had any problems with stomach or from taking a lot. The only downside is that each pill is only 100MG of magnesium, so if you are really deficient you will have to take a lot to level it out. I've been taking magnesium in a few different forms for the past year and ended up settling on that one. It has done tons for me in terms of relieving muscle tension and relaxing muscles in combination with exercise.

#5 ·
Which one worked for you the best as far as relaxing your body and relieving muscle tension? Were you able to take less of the magnesium taurate to get the same effect as the chelated magnesium?

#4 ·
I've been taking Source Naturals Ultra-Mag from iherbs.com. It's a mixture of magnesium citrate, taurinate, malate, glycinate, and succinate. It's taken over a month for me to see a difference, but I think it helps my anxiety. It's also awesome for menstrual cramps.

#9 ·
I was diagnosed with essential tremor in July this year, but I have suffered social anxiety most of my life. I couldnt take the recommended drugs and turned to magnesium as I had read a great deal of research in Australia and France had been done on using it for all sorts of nervous conditions and sleep disorders. I have tried various forms and some sent me to the bathroom... But I know you have to take a high enough dose so I persevered. I can take magnesium malate 5 times a day now and my nervous problems have almost disappeared. Not just that but I feel fantastic most of the time, even my hub says I am like a new woman.

It does take a lot of experimentation to find the right magnesium at the right dose for you. But this is the closest I have ever got to finding a miracle cure. I want to tell the world of people like us to give it a go. I have never felt better and because my general anxiety has dissipated I dont feel so inadequate in social settings, because I am relaxed and things just seem to be ok.

#10 ·
Full study links worth a look:

"Case histories are presented showing rapid recovery (less than 7 days) from major depression using 125-300 mg of magnesium (as glycinate and taurinate)
with each meal and at bedtime." http://www.george-eby-research.com/html/magnesium-for-depression.pdf

This next one is really interesting (to me) because it states that magnesium modulates NMDA-receptor function. That's something that may catch your eye because low-dose Ketamine (which works so consistently to relieve depression) supposedly works the same way. And in fact the paper states that Ketamine acts "in place of" magnesium. http://george-eby-research.com/html/magnesium-treatment-resistant-depression.pdf

From there, if you're inclined to try magnesium supplementation, the difficulty is figuring out which form to buy. If you search around enough about elemental magnesium, and bioavailability, and you're human, then I think you'll wind up thoroughly confused (as I am).

Oxide is supposedly the best bang-for-your-buck despite low bioavailabilty, but then you'll read something like "Oral magnesium oxide treatment was ineffective and promoted diarrhea." That's from the second study I linked to (which, for what it's worth, mostly endorses magnesium glycinate, and recommends you stay the hell away from magnesium glutamate and magnesium aspartate).

I have to say magnesium oxide has been a lifesaver for me in tolerating any calcium, but I still freak out if I take any vitamin D or too much calcium. So I'm in the process of trying other magnesium versions (more oxide hasn't panned out).

#12 ·
Of all the supplements being discussed, this one is one of the more important ones. although it is very weak against depression. Magnesium is a limited NMDA antagonist, along with zinc.

TIP: One can swallow unscented epsom salt USP, one teaspoon per day, if they have a hard budget for supplements. a pound of Epsom satl UPS is a few dollars. There is instructions on the container on how much to take internally as a laxative. Less than this amount acts as a poor-man's magnesium supplement.

#14 ·
Anyone encountered a situation where although initially helpful, magnesium supplementation increased anxiety, rather than decreased it? Cause I experienced that. I had some bloodtests done and whilst my magnesium levels were within normal range (0.8mg/L), my ferritin levels (iron) were very low (13ng/ML) - I somehow associated that magnesium backfires in cases of people with low ferritin levels, because magnesium would impede the absorption of iron, which is essential for the functioning of the heart.

#17 ·
I just upped my dosage of magnesium citrate to 600mg/day in the last month, and have definitely noticed a difference. I also, somehow, don't crave alcohol much anymore (a big deal for me). Except for the past few days, where I stopped the magnesium and the cravings came back. And bad things happened. Sp, I found that interesting.

Anyway, magnesium seems to help a bit with my anxiety when I take it consistently. So I'm thinking I'll continue it at this dosage for now. I would try a different kind but I fear it might be more expensive....

#18 ·
took magnesium

I'm a chronic insomniac for about 16 years. Today I took 1500 milligrams of magnesium, 500 milligrams of gaba, and 1000 milligrams of taurine. I slept for a good six and half hours. I'm so thrilled. I know this sleep will continue.

I'm still taking 1.5 of klonopin but I used to take 3 milligrams. So there is progress there.

Let's get healthy!

#19 ·
I started taking Nature's Bounty high potency Magnesium 500mg once every 12 hours when I was going thru Tramadol withdrawals. When I quit Tramadol I had very bad restless legs, and my head felt like it was 100 lbs and filled with water, and I had brain zaps. The magnesium made these symptoms either go away or take most of the aggitation away. I am done with the withdrawals, but I still take the magnesium daily bc I've always been a light sleeper and this helps me stay calm.

#20 ·
Magnesium is an extremely effective tool in combating anxiety. I personally use Magnesium Citrate. It has various mechanisms of action, but one of them is actually to reduce the electrical potential of neurons. This is basically what gaba and benzodiazpenes do.

As far as dosage goes, when taking the full RDA of magnesium, I find myself feeling extremely bored, and sometimes some strange side effects accompany that. I usually only take 1/3rd of the RDA of magnesium from supplements, sometimes 1/2.

#21 ·
I've seen some help with magnesium when accompanied with other supplements in relation to my anxiety relief. what I most like about it is the fact that it helps with my restless leg syndrome which drives me insane when I'm anxious or stressed. also loosens up my bowels if I take too much. overall it works and its magnesium oxide w
oddly

#22 ·
I've been told by a medic that so long as you have stomach acid, Mag Oxide is all that's needed and is our natural source of the stuff anyway (stream and spring water). Citrate and other forms are only needed if you are permanently on Zantac or anti-acids, since Mag Oxide won't get absorbed. They're also needed in fairly enourmous amounts compared to Mag Oxide, to get the same amount of magnesium. If the medic's right, then they are a waste of money for most of us.

#23 ·
Does nothing for anxiety or helping sleep. BUT it's great for bowel regularity and relieving constipation. Helps those with chronic constipation/ IBS-C.

I take Magnesium caps which has magnesium oxide, aspartate, taurinate, citrate, and alpha-ketoglutarate all in one cap. Saves the time and money in trying to figure out which form is better.

#24 ·
In my research I found that Magnesium needs to be highly absorbable for best results. I had incredible results with Magnesium, Vitamin D3, chamomile tea and an herbal formula called Calm and Relaxed. I have been axiety free for years now, and I think Magnesium helped greatly. What I did was do a complete anxiety healing package this herbal medicine company, Eastern Essentials had that came with Magnesium/Glycinate/Lysate. There is a free video on the site you can check out. It was tremendous in my healing.

The Magnesium he sells is the one I took and I can vouch for it's effectiveness. But check out the video. He goes into how anxiety depletes magnesium levels which causes more anxiety. http://www.easternessentials.com/store/other-remedies/stay-calm-and-relaxed-formula/

#28 ·
I've started taking Magnesium Glycinate Chelate the other week and I can tell it is a much better sleep aid than what I was taking previously--which was Magnesium Oxide. Supposedly the Glycinate form has one of the highest bio-availability and absorption rates out of them all. I'm in need to experiment more with higher dosages as an anxiety-reducer. I have a question if anyone can answer--doesn't one need to compensate for a loss of another vitamin as a result of taking a lot of Magnesium? Isn't more Calcium needed if Magnesium levels are higher than normal? I'm gonna have to do more research on this.

#29 ·
calcium to mag ratio.. 1:2 or at the very least a 1:1 calcium-magnesium balance." But that's just what the last article I read says, you can check it out for yourself (link below)

I am going to order bulk powders mag glycinate they have a pretty good deal with a lot of reviews on amazon. Most people take it before bed and get good sleep which I feel its a big problem with people who have anxiety. Which often worsens your anxiety the next day.... I'm also adding a good multi

http://deliciousliving.com/blog/time-ditch-21-calcium-magnesium-ratio

#30 ·
Thank you guys for the lovely discussion.
I find it very funny that more doctors aren't clued in to the benefits of magnesium, because we use it all the time in conventional medicine. But we never stop to think about why or how important it is to our general health or why it helps our bodies function better.
I remember using magnesium when I worked in the emergency room. It was a critical "medication" on the crash cart. .
This critical mineral is actually responsible for over 300 enzyme reactions and is found in all of your tissues - but mainly in your bones, muscles, and brain. You must have it for your cells to make energy, for many different chemical pumps to work, to stabilize membranes, and to help muscles relax.
You might be magnesium deficient if you have any of the following symptoms:

• Muscle cramps or twitches
  • Insomnia
  • Irritability
  • Sensitivity to loud noises
  • Anxiety
  • Austins
  • ADD
  • Palpitations
  • Angina
  • Trouble swallowing etc
Magnesium deficiency has even has been linked to inflamation in the body and higher CRP levels.
Health Tips

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.