Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Has anyone noticed pain relievers/anti-inflammatory meds helping?

891 views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Noca 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
i had surgery over the summer and had to be on a load of different pain meds for a couple of weeks and during that time I noticed when i was on oxycodene my anxiety and ocd almost vanished. now i'm noticing the same thing with ibuprofen. is this just me?

#4 ·
yea oxycodone is an opiate, and that's one reason they are so addictive and so great (in the short-run) basically makes you feel so good and euphoric that anxiety and depression just melt away

#6 ·
Interesting i actually saw a lecture about this on TV, (Swedish knowledge chanel)

It had to do with inflammation that stresses the body and increase noradrenaline, and the effect NSAIDs have on prostaglandins.

But otherwise some people can get abit tired from Ibuprofen and Tylenol. That might also play some role on anxiety.

#8 ·
There is plenty of reasons why opioids are not the solution. One of these reasons is that opioids deplete androgens, and eventually with enough use your testosterone levels will reach rock bottom. If you think you are depressed now, you have no idea how depressed you will be when your T levels are all ****ed up. The effect that you received from opioids now will require more and more to achieve the same effect, which will also become less and less beneficial over time. Before you know it, you are taking more and more simply to ward off withdrawals, which are hell on opioids. It is a guaranteed recipe for disaster.

#14 ·
Freshman year, I was hanging around this sophomore who talked about pain killers how they not only kill your physical pain but also your emotional pain. I think there's some truth to that statement like what @forgetmylife stated. Of course, it could be a placebo effect: anxiety and ocd I feel like are often perspectives and if you believe hard enough, then they will work.

But just be careful with medications in general. Addiction is a serious issue.

#15 ·
Opioids, most definitely help with anxiety and depression in the short term, it is not just placebo, but they will definitely lead to disaster and are not a solution for either of those problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.