Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

us

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  VanDamme 
#1 ·

spider sex seems interesting

#2 ·
So are you saying we are resilient? Btw I had the same issues trying to flush a spider like that, I had to flush him like 6x.

#3 ·
I hate spiders. It's embarrassing how afraid of them I am. There was one walking outside my car driver's side door window. I was afraid to get out the car. It was pathetic. lol

#4 ·
Let's just say it had 2 inch long fangs and huge eyes (yes, all 8 of them)! :D

The great news is that fears like that can be changed! (But only if you WANT to)

I remember watching two documentaries about 20 years ago. One was about creating, the other about removing fears. The one about creating showed people mentioning that a certain event happened in their life where they got scared by something. The end result was the creation of a certain connection/trigger that (when present) will start the fear response. But the strange thing is that the brain can connect fear to anything that is present (could be specific: spider, mouse, person or general concept: peers, authority figures).

Do you remember a specific scary event like that? Or could be that somebody present may have been scared and you "learned" it that way. It is also possible connect emotions if you experience them again and again in the same context.

An interesting type of fear: Fear of falling into the sky. http://www.socialanxietysupport.com...ar-of-falling-into-the-sky-174898/index4.html I suspect it is a learned fear because a few people mentioned that they only have issue with blue sky but are fine if it's cloudy. It makes sense if the "scary event" happened when the sky was blue and the brain connected fear to both the blue sky and flying up (e.g. one person mentions really disliking being thrown up as a child). But if the blue sky part of the "trigger condition" is not present, then there is no fear response. Another person mentions "learning" the fear about a year ago.

I've listed a few of my examples here for sounds: http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f26/anxiety-for-sounds-1619217/#post1082692050

There's another issue which may or may not be fear related but also interesting: Hurts to look at corners - Social Anxiety Forum

There are many techniques that can completely remove the fear. If you're interested in changing it, I can list a few techniques that you can try yourself. There are also other techniques that work differently but those are best done with someone trained.

#5 ·
Am I the only one on the planet that likes spiders?

They are creative architects that rival humans for their ingenious web designs. I've seen webs go 20 feet in the air and attached to dozens of completely random points. How the heck did the dude make his way over there without some flying apparatus?

Plus they are more afraid of you than you are of them. So I usually pick them up in my room and put them outside where they have a better chance of finding dinner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.