Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The place where everything is trying to kill you (Australia)
Are you unhappy?
Very interesting video based on Bertrand Russell's works.
Source of unhappiness 1
- People are unhappy because we set up a goal which demands of us certain things: and we do these things. We adjust to the demands of a concept which isn't valid.
Source of Unhappiness 2
- Don't dedicate a life to reaching a pre-defined goal, but rather choose a way of life you know you will enjoy. Goals do not guarantee satisfaction or happiness upon being obtained: the goal is absolutely secondary. It is the functioning toward the goal which is important and is where you will find happiness.
- People are also unhappy because they have unrealistic concepts of themselves and expect others to adhere to the specifics of their self perception. Envy leads to unhappiness and basing decisions on envy will lead to even more unhappiness.
Source of Unhappiness 3
- Realize that nobody is judging you the way you think they are and it doesn't matter anyways and don't base you decisions on envy.
- Unhappiness is also a manifestation of anxiety caused by the fear of not being constantly stimulated and anxiety resulting from fear of negative public opinions.
- Accept boredom as a break for the constant and tiring stimulation of modern society. Don't expect others to take as much interest in yourself as you do.
Now suffering from a disorder such as SA is going to complicate this I realise, but it might be food for thought and a little insight.
Your 100% in anything, even if you're not the best at it, is a success.