Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

What CBT handouts did you read today?

24K views 345 replies 24 participants last post by  Esteban 
#1 ·
And how did they make you feel? What behavioral exercises are you doing (for those who are further along in the therapy)?

-ANTs
-Seeing The Present
-Acceptance Is An Active Experience

These three handouts are the ones I read the most. They generally clear up my negative thoughts for the most part. I just need to make sure to read them daily.

I read them daily for about three months about four years ago. They worked. I need to keep at it.

It would be a good idea to read them before or after going to the gym to help keep myself healthy psychologically and physically.

#2 ·
-ANTs
-Seeing The Present
-deserving statements
-power statements

#3 ·
-ANTs
-Seeing The Present

#4 ·
-ANTs
-Seeing The Present
-deserving statements

#5 ·
-ANTs
-Seeing The Present
-deserving statements
-power statements

#6 ·
-ANTs
-Seeing The Present
-deserving statements
-power statements

#7 ·
-ANTs
-Seeing The Present
-deserving statements
-power statements

#8 ·
-ANTs
-Seeing The Present
-Deserving Statements
-Power Statements

#9 ·
-ANTs
-Seeing The Present
-Deserving Statements
-Power Statements

#10 ·
Um, I have NO idea what these things are. Do you maybe have a helpful hint about how I can get some of the material? Is it available online? Are my psychologist(s), psychiatrists, occupational therapist(s) and host of medical professionals and doctors deliberately keeping me in the dark? :sus

#12 ·
See post below yours. It's not too surprising you haven't heard of it before, even from mental health professionals. That said, I've done individual therapy and group therapy with a number of mental health professionals. They haven't helped me nearly as much as Dr. Richard's CBT program. You might be different though. IDK. I would definitely recommend checking it out.

There's a treatment review thread about it on this forum here . Good luck.

#11 ·
Judging by the names, the CBT hand outs are from the Dr. Richards Overcoming Social anxiety Step by Step audio series.

You can get the book handouts from amazon for $10-$21. The online audio series has 25 session audio explanations of the therapy, PDFs of the handouts, and a few videos, and songs for each session. It's a bit of a steeper price though at $150.

I originally got the audio and handouts from torrents for free, but that was the old series, not sure if there's any for the the new series which came out a few months ago.
-------------------------------------

On topic:
This has always been the hardest for me, just reading the handouts. I never seem to have the time or focus to do it. I do listen to the tapes a lot and that helps, but the examples and stories do go on for a bit too long when you're listening to it for the 20th time, lol....

I think it's partially a general laziness I have, as well as a bit of a video game addiction, but also due to shift work and a constantly changing schedule. I'd always plan to devote a certain time to reading handouts, doing the therapy, going to a monthly meetup, etc. and then my schedule gets changed 3 days later and messes everything up.

I did set up reminders on my phone though, to go off at certain times each day or when arriving/leaving places. I had set ones up for:
The worrying hand out
Deserving statements
ANTs handout
Fighting paradox
And uhh profiency statements?
I didn't include the names
In all of them so not sure about the last one. Though with the reminders an iOS update messed it up and made it really hard to read the handouts, so even those I don't read too often anymore. I'm trying to get back into the swing of it, just gotta focus on my well being more; I should be cutting a really negative person out of my life soon so hopefully that will help.

#13 ·
On topic:
This has always been the hardest for me, just reading the handouts. I never seem to have the time or focus to do it. I do listen to the tapes a lot and that helps, but the examples and stories do go on for a bit too long when you're listening to it for the 20th time, lol....

I think it's partially a general laziness I have, as well as a bit of a video game addiction, but also due to shift work and a constantly changing schedule. I'd always plan to devote a certain time to reading handouts, doing the therapy, going to a monthly meetup, etc. and then my schedule gets changed 3 days later and messes everything up.

I did set up reminders on phone though to go off at certain times each day or when arriving/leaving places. I had set ones up for:
The worrying hand out
Deserving statements
ANTs handout
Fighting paradox
And uhh profiency statements?
I didn't include the names
In all of them so not sure about the last one. Though with the reminders an iOS update messed it up and made it really hard to read the handouts, so even those I don't read too often anymore. I'm trying to get back into the swing of it, just gotta focus on my well being more; I should be cutting a really negative person out of my life soon so hopefully that will help.
Yeah, it can definitely be difficult to stick with it. That's why I decided to make this thread. I figure knowing people are watching might help me stay on track.

If other people decide to post what handouts they're reading each day, that would be great. It would help me stay motivated.

#14 ·
-ANTs
-Seeing The Present
-Deserving Statements
-Power Statements

BTW, I'm reading these repeatedly for 30-60 min each session in slow talk out loud. So far, some of what I'm reading in the handouts has been popping into my mind whenever I encounter negative thoughts.

#16 ·
-ANTs
-Seeing The Present
-Deserving Statements
-Power Statements

#17 ·
-ANTs
-Seeing The Present
-Deserving Statements
-Power Statements

#18 ·
-ANTs
-Seeing The Present
-Deserving Statements
-Power Statements

#19 ·
-ANTs
-Seeing The Present
-Deserving Statements
-Power Statements

#20 ·
-ANTs
-Seeing The Present
-Deserving Statements
-Power Statements

#21 ·
-ANTs
-Seeing The Present
-Deserving Statements
-Power Statements

#22 ·
-ANTs
-Seeing The Present
-Deserving Statements
-Power Statements

#23 ·
-ANTs
-Seeing The Present
-Deserving Statements
-Power Statements

#24 ·
-ANTs
-Seeing The Present
-Deserving Statements
-Power Statements

Doing this for an hour each day is really starting to pay off. I've been able to go and do things without worrying excessively about them. I've also been able to joke around with people, make eye contact, and express various issues I have without feeling much anxiety. I'm making really good progress. I look forward to doing even better as I continue to do CBT. I'm positive that doing this, in addition to exercise, meditation, and medication will considerably reduce my anxiety and pointless negativity.

#25 ·
-ANTs
-Worrying
-Seeing The Present
-Deserving Statements
-Power Statements

#26 ·
-ANTs
-Seeing The Present
-Deserving Statements
-Power Statements

#27 ·
The fighting Paradox
De-stressing strategies
The social anxiety automatic cycle
Turning the tables on the ANTs - Part One
Accepting myself as I am

Can we discuss this on something like Skype please? I would love to have a buddy who I can do this with.

#28 ·
Can we discuss this on something like Skype please? I would love to have a buddy who I can do this with.
Sure. PM me your Skype.

#29 ·
-ANTs
-Seeing The Present
-Deserving Statements
-Power Statements

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.