Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Anyone else have bad depersonalization?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  SOME 
#1 ·
I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on coping with depersonalizaiton/derealization. I've had it near chronic for about a year and half now and absolutely hate it. Some days it's better, but other days I spend all day and night trapped in my own head just looking at my hands or staring at things. It's especially bad in the morning and is unbearable at work.

I do find (which makes sense) that the more anxious I am, the worse the DPDR is and I just get more and more anxious. Especially when it comes to my social anxiety, I find I have to deal with not only freezing up and not knowing what to say, and acting nervous, but I also have to deal with feeling like I'm not really there.

It's so overwhelming. Anyone have tips on how to deal with DPDR?

#2 ·
I've always embraced the altered state of derealisation as it kicked in to lower my stress. At first it was a bit overwhelming but just stay present and let it be. I'd rather this state then the state I was in before. I don't like the feeling of not being here or autopilot but overall it's still preferable

#3 ·
I've tried to embrace it... I just can't. It makes me panic too much, probably because it makes me feel out of control. Mine doesn't seem to lower my stress at all, just increases it. I've noticed lately it makes it extremely hard to focus on things too, especially at work. Which is a problem because I'm worried I'll be fired if I can't focus and get done simple tasks.

#4 ·
Stress, tiredness and an overwhelmed mind contribute to these feelings. I got it badly about a year ago or so, this was after reading about it a some negative comments from people.
What this showed me was that analysing it and worrying about it made it worse and guess what happened when I stopped..... yes it diminished greatly to the extent that it's not really a problem.
Work stress and worrying that it is going to spoil work will put you in a vicious cycle, is there no one at work you can share this with? I think that many people have it and if you felt safer that you would be treated kindly at work this would ease the symptoms.

#5 ·
The people at my work are very old-fashioned and in turn don't seem keen on understanding mental illness or its symptoms or feelings. I've explained to them I have problems with anxiety before and they didn't patronize me for it, or look at me weird, but they didn't do too much to try to ease it either. I try not to analyze it or worry about it but it can just get so tough sometimes!

#6 ·
Yeah I got that real bad from trauma I feel completely gone. there's not much I can do about it but accept it I've hit the point of no return

drugs and alcohol make it worse sometimes or it's even the cause of it I herd you feel like that because of your damaged brain nerves from so much drugs and stress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.