Social Anxiety Forum - View Single Post - Casadastraphobia - fear of falling into the sky
View Single Post
post #18 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 02:29 AM
wrongnumber
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewoman View Post
I just came back from my first trip to New York. I felt like I was going crazy on the double decker tour bus. I was holding on to the seat and guard rail for dear life every-time I looked up at the building profiles. I knew it was irrational, but I felt like I was going to be sucked right up there!

While my family members looked at me like I was nuts, I knew I couldn't be the only one with the issue! Talk about relief when I saw this post!

I've been bothered by something like this since I've been a little kid. I used to fall flat on the ground when planes flew overhead and hold on to the grass (as early as 7 years old). I felt like they were going to pull me up. I am not fond of heights or planes and this trip (4th on a plane) was the worst. I had to focus on my breathing during the turbulence.

I'm fine as long as I'm grounded. I fear plummeting (I had an uncle who liked to toss us in the air as kids...hated that too)...rising and plummeting. I'm kind of concerned that it's getting worse as I get older (45 now). I told my husband I think I'll need something for anxiety the next time we fly. I don't even take tylenol without being in dire straights.

It's not debilitating...yet...any more advice?
That bus trip sounded awful. Since you've had this problem since little it sounds like a long-term visual spatial or balance problem. Maybe get your balance tested. I'd probably just ask for anti anxiety meds for flights and stay off double decker buses if I were you.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome