View Single Post
post #60 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Spungo
SAS Member

Condition Being Treated:
Severe atypical depression.

Other Drugs I'm Still Taking:
-150mg bupropion

I was already taking bupropion, I added fluoxetine, and these are the things that changed:

Rating: 5/5
One major problem with other SSRI drugs was the withdrawal. I could feel citalopram withdrawal at the end of the day, and it was horrible. It would make me emotionally unstable. Sertraline was even worse because I could take it in the morning and feel the withdrawal while I'm still at work (update: this was happening because the dosage was far too low). I specifically asked for fluoxetine because it has an incredibly long half-life that is measured in days instead of hours. As expected, fluoxetine never crashes. I could skip the pills for several days and still not feel any withdrawal. I'm so glad that I don't need to deal with constant drug crashes anymore. I bet fluoxetine and citalopram would make an interesting combination, but I haven't been able to test that.

Positive Effects:
-Very long half-life. This drug never crashes.
-While citalopram would cause body anxiety and tense muscles, fluoxetine seems to do the opposite. I can take fluoxetine then lay down in a comfortable position.
-Fluoxetine makes everything feel softer. After taking 40mg of fluoxetine, snuggling is the most enjoyable thing in the world. It doesn't matter if it's a person or a stuffed animal.
-Fluoxetine sometimes causes closed-eye hallucinations. If I close my eyes, I immediately start dreaming. The dreaming stops as soon as I open my eyes again. It's very similar to the type of hallucinations experienced on MDMA.
-My body is a lot faster to warm up and stay warm. Cold rooms don't bother me as much as they did in the past.
-My girlfriend says I'm a lot more relaxed and agreeable on this drug.
-fluoxetine counters the physical anxiety caused by caffeine. I can drink all the coffee in the world without getting shaky.
-Alcohol makes me more social than ever. Even 2 beers is enough to get me talking for hours.

Negative Effects:
-Swallowing the capsules whole causes major diarrhea. The pills must be chewed first. This no longer happens.
-The content of the capsules is a strong irritant. I tried putting a fluoxetine under my tongue to see what it would do, and it ended up causing severe irritation in my mouth. It took about 4 days for my mouth to heal.
-Fluoxetine severely impairs cognition. If I take this before work, very little work gets done. I'm a lot more forgetful and absent minded these days. I seem to procrastinate more while taking fluoxetine.
-Fluoxetine completely blocks the effects of MDMA.
-I started to crave nicotine after I started taking Prozac. I've been puffing on nicotine inhalers to deal with this, otherwise I would be a chain smoker. I've never been a smoker and I don't plan on starting.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome