Social Anxiety Forum - View Single Post - paroxetine (paxil) Alcohol and blackout
View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 04:30 PM
devin880
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehcorpz View Post
It's not about mixing them, i'm sure most of the time you could be fine. Simply that alcohol is more powerful and it causes neuroapoptosis. And to cure depression/anxiety you need neurogenesis. So... you know... seems weird.

And i'm basing it on the fact that people here are constantly talking about drinking. You think you're the only one? Man go through the threads.

The people who drink think that these pills are this magic answer to their horrible lifestyle choices. And when the pills don't work, god forbid they blame their alcohol habits. If you are serious about fixing a problem, you have to go all in.

And trust me, this is coming from someone who developed quite the alcohol habit as it gave me this temporary relief. I knew I had to drop it.
It's true that some people think alcohol will make all their problems go away. I would also say that excessive alcohol consumption is not good for a mental disorder. However, how does that lead you to assume that most people on this forum have no underlying anxiety or depression disorders?
chronic alcohol consumption + Mental disorder = Self Medication

Also, it is about mixing them, because this thread is about the combination of Paxil and alcohol. The drunkenness is intensified for many (or nullified), blackouts are more likely to happen, and the effects of the Paxil are increased as well. The medication also passes out of the person's system much faster. It would be nice if these things were stated on the Paxil website.

Also I would hardly call 4 beers a drinking problem. Those were the first alcoholic drinks I had in a month and the first I had since starting Paxil two weeks ago. It is not normal for me to experience a black out after 4 beers (or at all), and to not feel the alcohol effects, at all. That is why I posted on this thread. Paxil changed how the alcohol affected me, and I wanted to warn others that it can do this if they do choose to drink.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome