Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Passion Flower (passiflora)

113K views 28 replies 26 participants last post by  sea turd 
#1 ·
The medical utility of very few species of Passiflora has been scientifically studied. In initial trials for treatment of generalized anxiety disorder, Maypop extract performed as well as oxazepam but with less short-term side effects. It was recommended to follow up with long-term studies.

More Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passion_flower

#2 ·
I tried the drops .. about 30 drops 2-3 times a day.
It didnt work for me, and tasted horrible. I think herbal remedies arent strong enough for me.

#3 ·
The passion flower extract I bought reacts differently every time I use it. I can't depend on it to work. Sometimes it makes me drowsy and other times, I feel hyped up. This happens when I am using LTheanine with it, so that may be the cause of the changes. I also may not have shaken the passion flower bottle when I first started taking it and all the good stuff was on the bottom where the dropper was. Even two or three drops would make me sleepy. Wish this was more reliable, because I really need a good nights rest.

#6 ·
I picked up a bottle yesterday and took two 350 mg pills of passion flower. A half hour later I was driving around town, trying to avoid going home (not the best situation) and just trying to think of things to do. Gradually almost all of my social inhibitions lifted and I felt relaxed. I felt happy, confident and more positive. Also I noticed that it helped a lot with my flu-ish symptoms. Today I tried to not be too hopeful, and thought that perhaps it would build up in my system and wear off, but it's the end of the day and while I do not feel quite as happy as I did yesterday, honestly this is the best I've felt in months. Quick warning, it can supposedly lower effectiveness of MAOI's, and its pretty bad for pregnant women.

#7 ·
I started taking these yesterday. 350mg pills, twice each day. I think in order for any medication and herbal supplement to work right with the least amount of side effects is to exercise and eat right. I will post again in February to tell you how it's going.

#11 ·
I know the method! I've used it to cure my anxiety, too!
I suffered from social anxiety and generalized anxiety disorder. Everything was very hard and I had a lot of problems, but now I am free! I enjoy life again and can go in any place. No more fear of illnesses and social situations.

I'm very glad that I don't need to take medication anymore. I paid a lot of money for medication and therapies. Fortunately I don't need anymore. I think that nobody deserves to suffer from Anxiety.
Life is not worth living if you suffer from Anxiety or any other mental illness.

Nobody should miss the opportunity to cure his mental disorder. This is a revolutionary and unique method. It works for everyone! You only need to be open-minded to learn about the anti-conscious and the cause of all mental disorders.

#12 ·
Pardon? Sounds like an advertisement for...something. I'm not even sure if you were speaking about Passion Flower.

I have a dropper bottle of it in the fridge. I'll try it at some point. For now, I'm sticking to L-Theanine, since I want to isolate one product as being good or not, before moving on to another.

Nice to hear some positive reviews of it from some people.

#15 ·
I find that this mixed with l-theanine is the most effective of the herbal remedies.Although others swear by Valerian i find this does nothing for me.The causes of anxiety are myriad and i think different things work for different people.I take Diazepam for very stressful situations but its not something i would use every day due to its addictive problems .No problems with the passiflora after a month try it if nothings worked for you.

#17 ·
Has anyone smoked passion flower? I'd like to know it's effects when smoked. I asked a woman at a store if they carried bulk passion flower and she gave me a stupid look and I was like I don't want capsules. I want the dried herbs to smoke if it's got MAOs in it and I could absorb it better and faster. I went to another store and got a frappuccino with 1,000 mg. of passion flower and didn't not feel anything.

#18 ·
I've been taking it in liquid form for about a week now and feel a ton better.Will it last? I don't know? It sure beats the jacked up side effects of pharmaceuticals.
I started it with Valerian root,but the Valerian made me a touch drowsy.I'm now on the Passion flower drops,30 drops or so,once in the morning and once at night with 30 drops of Valerian.I also take Tumeric drops once a day with Lemon Balm drops.So far so good.

#20 ·
I also used Passion Flower Extract to help heal my anxiety. But it was the extract form I used. Don't just get the flower grinded up to a powder and encapsulated. The standardized extract is the one that is more effective. The one I used was by Now Foods. Extract is more concentrated and the active ingredients are standardized to be a certain level. The medicinal qualities are extracted while the other parts are discarded.

#25 ·
This definitely works for me. It levels out my mood a bit and I don't know if numb is the correct term, but I'll use it, it seems to make my input to stimuli a bit numb, allowing me to care less slightly about things which can give me anxiety. I bought the now 350mg 3.5% extract.
The thing I don't like about passionflower is if I take two or three, it can actually make me feel a bit frustrated, and stressy. I think taking one as a mild sedative is the proper use of this product. At least for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.