Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Let it go. Let it go. Let it go.

282K views 877 replies 723 participants last post by  believer11 
#1 ·
Say it with me. Let it go, let it go, and guess what? Let it go.

One of our biggest problems is that we always dwell in the past. Just let it go, its already done. Thinking about it isnt going to change anything. The only thing thinking will do is WASTE your time, and bring back all those horrible FEELINGS you "think" you had when that moment was actually happening.

Waste our time you say? Yeah. You know how people always ask you if you are okay? If you are feeling sad? Etc, etc. Well thats because we are always lost in thought. Always thinking about the past, and always thinking about the future. We aren't actually PRESENT in the moment. Our bodies are there but our mind is off in a distant world. No presence. Something we all can work on.

So when you think of something and go "crap I wish.. this and that couldve gone better.." Well what can I say? What can you say? It already happened. Worry about the now, and the past wont be such a problem.

This person said something interesting. I highly recommend you all read it. d3lusionkt
Something i've been wanting to add to the OP.here
My opinion on how to improve ourselves.here

See less See more
#123 ·
Lastly, it's unfair to expect others to do the hard work in braking the ice, its simply not fair. Today, Im accepting all thingsd, and I guess when I lay bed tonight I just think about positive things, not neccessarily in the future just things that make me happy , instead of my past. Again, thanks for this post im out
I'm starting to realize the same, I've always been so dependent on outgoing people that I need to get out of my "shell" somehow.

#127 ·
Thanks for the post on the not dwelling on the past. Our brains "want" to be in the present moment, we ( and society ) just habitually trick ourselves into going into the past or the future ...

2 methods to help our brains "settle" .... #1 is thousands of years old and # 2 is recent ....

1) Empty your mind and get in to upright sitting posture .... keep your eyes open if possible ( so you don't doze off ) .... concentrate on feeling the breath in and breath out .... the sensation of it through the nostrils ... or what the belly and chest are doing .... do it 10 times in a row ... if a thought comes in to disturb the concentration then gently go back to 1 again without judgement . Be easy on yourself ...

2) Empty your mind, and listen to Mozart ( musichttp://delicast.com/radio/classical/Radio_Mozart ) ... I like to lie on a hard wooden floor .... concentrate on each passage .... each note if possible .... Scientific study has (supposedly) proven that listening to Mozart calms the mind ....

#128 ·
Another method that one can use to distract the mind and stay in the moment is to "name" things that you are doing or noticing ( non judgementally of course ) as you are going along in your morning /day/evening . This can be something visual, auditory, tactile. You can either think them or verbalize them to yourself. Example; you're walking down the street. You see a stop sign and say " stop sign, red " . Next someone walking their dog you say " small dog, short hair" " woman with dark coat" "car driving fast", "someone shouting" etc . You are cleaning you apartment " wet hands", " picking up shirt" " soft carpet on the bare foot " " breeze coming through window" " hit hand on cupboard" " steep stairway to attic" "carrying trash down to dumpster, opening door" etc, etc. You get the picture ....

#132 ·
I am constantly telling myself "let it go" or "just forget about it". I constantly think about situations over and over, even things that have happened a long time ago. I used to have trouble falling asleep at night. I would lay awake, my mind racing fast worrying and dwelling on something that happened. Now I don't have this happen frequently. I still constantly worry and dwell on things though. When something bad happens or something sparks my anxiety, I worry myself sick sometimes. I also get tension stress headaches that get so bad that pain meds don't even help to take the edge off. I am 21 years old and I can remember having trouble constantly dwelling with reoccurring worries all the time when I was like 13. I want to learn to be able to say "I don't give a F***" so the worrying can stop!

#134 ·
Say it with me. Let it go, let it go, and guess what? Let it go.

One of our biggest problems is that we always dwell in the past. Just let it go, its already done. Thinking about it isnt going to change anything. The only thing thinking will do is WASTE your time, and bring back all those horrible FEELINGS you "think" you had when that moment was actually happening.

Waste our time you say? Yeah. You know how people always ask you if you are okay? If you are feeling sad? Etc, etc. Well thats because we are always lost in thought. Always thinking about the past, and always thinking about the future. We aren't actually PRESENT in the moment. Our bodies are there but our mind is off in a distant world. No presence. Something we all can work on.

So when you think of something and go "crap I wish.. this and that couldve gone better.." Well what can I say? What can you say? It already happened. Worry about the now, and the past wont be such a problem.
Cliche, but so so true.

#146 ·
I just woke up and thought about the people I could have kept in touch with from college, thought about the high school friends I left behind when I dropped out, thought about past co-workers who I could have been friends with.

I only think about these things if I have nothing to do on the day. Today is my day off from work and I'm done with classes for summer break. For most parts, I've been able to let it go it's just during these kinds of situations where my minds wanders back into the past.

#154 ·
Moving on...

Absolutely.

Sometimes it's hard for me to establish the diference.
I know I have to move on from a lot of stuff... Some, I surely know that it is past and not important anymore. But, some other issues are deeper matters and I know I have to deal with my emotions first, before I can really move on. Burying all the rubbish without dealing with it, and accepting that I can't change it (or at least, come to terms with it) is not really moving on. No. And, eventually, it will come again to haunt me.

And, regarding some of those "obsessive thoughts", I just don't know how to start that "healing" process.