Social Anxiety Forum - View Single Post - I think
Thread: I think
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 06:38 AM
Narcissistic Pundit
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessdarkness View Post
my agression will never perish until I fulfill my potential and no pills can make me better without succeeding in life.
I don't know much about anything, but it sounds to me like you are putting an over-emphasis on the destination (instead of focusing on the journey). Many people do this in this day and age...dreaming about how much better life will be in the future when things are significantly different.

There comes a point when one realizes that if one wants positive change in life, one typically has to bring it about oneself. Many people spend their whole lives waiting for something to change, before realizing that they have grown old.

One will never reach one's full potential. This is a simple fact of life. If one spends one's time improving their skill in a particular area, one is at the same time prevented from improving a different skill. Even if one had infinite time to "achieve their potential", I believe many people would never be satisfied.

I'm not sure what you mean by "succeeding in life," but that is one of the beautiful things about the notion of success. One can define it however one wishes. For many people, success is a good job and a lot of money. People that search for lasting peace through money are rarely satisfied. Money can provide temporary pleasure and/or distraction, but such is not lasting. Our consumer-driven society makes this a difficult concept for many to understand, and understandably so.

Freedom from greed; freedom from desire. These are the sorts of things that I believe bring about lasting peace. Achieving inner-peace is what I consider success. There are many paths to happiness, however the path laid out by consumerism appears empty and hollow to me.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome