Social Anxiety Forum - View Single Post - Asperger's Syndrome?
View Single Post
post #143 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Kon
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantingGhost View Post
I was just wondering this! I'd never even heard of AS until about a year and a half ago. I started to intensely research it because I'm interested in social disorders and how they work, since I obviously have one myself. But the more and more I found out about AS the more and more I start to believe there's a possibility I could even have it.
I've been grapling with this issue for almost a year. At first, I thought I might have AS but my psychiatrist wasn't convinced. More recently my psychiatrist is suspecting I might have AS and now I'm not fully convinced. I have sensory issues and obsessions/interests and some social difficulties but I don't think I'm socially blind. I'm not as good as the average person but I don't think that's enough. While I don't take an active interest in other's conversation when socially interacting, I'm aware if I go off tangent, even though I feel like talking more about my interests/myself. I kind of don't listen when conversing but I'm aware of it and catch myself. My psychiatrist said that people on the spectrum tend to talk at you not with you (not engaging in a clear interactive two-way conversation). I'm not sure about this but here's an interesting paper trying to categorize AS into different types including socially anxious ones. I'm not sure how valid these categories are?

Socially Anxious Social Communicator(SASC):

They try to blend in or subtly fade out and others are likely to describe them as shy. They function “under the radar” and often try to appear to others as “fine” but avoid many social situations outside of their family. Those identified as SASC have a highly developed social radar; in fact you could argue they interpret the information they receive through their social radar with exaggeration. Rather than recognize that people have thoughts about each other in mostly benign ways, the SASC is often highly concerned about any thoughts another person is having, even if the SASC logically understands that he or she also routinely has small thoughts about others when around people. This group, we hypothesize, is born neurologically to experience more anxiety and to intuitively doubt their social abilities.

Their resistance to interacting in situations that make them uncomfortable can mean they appear to be more socially limited than they actually are. When comfortable or in their social element (usually around family and close friends), they appear much like a NSC (Neurotypical). However, when their social anxiety emerges, it appears to diminish their access to their social cognition and they appear much more like a WISC (the next group described). The huge shift in their social behaviour from appearing comfortable around others to appearing highly uncomfortable and disconnected from others marks the SASC. When feeling socially anxious, those who are in the SASC group over-focus on their feelings of anxiety and need to retreat from others, leading others to resist interacting with them. This then affirms the need of SASCs for their social anxiety: a catch-22.

http://www.socialthinking.com/images...cp_1.26.10.pdf

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome