Social Anxiety Forum - View Single Post - Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)

View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 11:35 AM
sleepytime
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulact View Post
I am using ACT methods on myself in relation to my social anxiety. I remind myself that I'm a person that is separate from his experiences. Once I am 'reminded' of that idea, I feel considerably more relaxed.
@sleepytime for ACT you can read the Happiness Trap by Russ Harris and Get Out Your Mind and Into Your Life by Steven Hayes. I'm using the methods in these books right now and I'm feeling better and behaving better. I'm also using CBT methods in combination with ACT methods but I use more ACT methods.
Thanks for the recommendations, I will look both those up I've started using the Dr. Richards CBT program, it's pretty good so far but I feel ACT might be even more useful for me.

From what I understand the difference between CBT and ACT is that where CBT attempts to reprogramme your thoughts and beliefs, ACT teaches you to distance yourself from your thoughts and beliefs? I've read a book called 'the power of now' by Eckhart Tolle which seems to based on a similar principle.

Do you practice mindful meditation also? Is that a part of ACT?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome