Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

The SAS "make friends" thread

73K views 727 replies 534 participants last post by  ed1980 
#1 ·
As a long time anxiety sufferer as well as Internet dweller I know that it is possible to make valuable friendships through the web. While those can never fully replace actual human contact, they at the very least help you to cope with life.

What I find funny is that a lot of people seem to think that they will make actual friends just by signing up to a forum, posting 10 or so times and saying that they want to make friends.

The truth is that outside of a few very veteran and active users, we're all just completely anonymous and unknown. And if you want to have some actual chance at making a friend then chances are you will need something more specific and personal than randomly adding people and hoping for the best.

So how about a thread where everyone is free to post who they are and what they're looking for in others?, if there's enough honesty we could all save time and awkwardness by not engaging users with whom we're obviously incompatible.

There are hundreds or perhaps even thousands of active users in this forum, chances that at least one of those people could be compatible with you. So why not try to make an effort and find that person?

Don't be just some anonymous user, share who you are and what you want to find. It doesn't have to be exactly what I'm suggesting next, some people may like to keep some details to themselves. But the more detailed you are the better it will be I suppose.

1) Who are you?

First name/age/in which country or region do you live on/your hobbies or interests/why are you on SAS.

2) What are you looking for?

Do you just want some acquaintances, to make close friendships or even a romantic relationship?

Is it necessary for you that a friend shares most of all of your interests or are you fine with those whom are different?, do you want to meet people with whom to have small talk?, or are you aspiring to find a deep intellectual and emotional friendship?, do you just want to vent?, are you a good listener and want someone to listen to?, do you wish to find people that live close to you and have a meet up or just to make some online friends?, do you want someone positive that will try to cheer up during your bad timed or do you prefer someone with whom to share the unfairness of the world?

Do you prefer males, females or is gender irrelevant?, what about age and nationality?, religion?, ideology?

3) How are you willing to communicate?

SAS private messages, Skype (whether is text only, voice only or video calls), Facebook, texting, Kik, smoke signals?, or whatever.

See less See more
#61 ·
Who are you?
Hey everyone, my real name is Jared, I just turned 25 years old and I live on the East Coast in the US. I'm a huge gamer, I like to watch anime, read manga, and I like sketch drawings and 3D art. I also love animals. I've always had a pet my whole life. Like many, I came on SAS to fight my depression and anxiety. This is my first step.

What are you looking for?
I'm hoping to build long lasting friendships with people. Gender doesn't matter at all when it comes to friendship to me. I wanna chat with people(No small talk btw), I wanna vent to someone or have someone vent to me, play online games, talk about what we like or don't like. I just want to build fond memories with others and connect with people. I'm tired of being lonely and if I can help someone with their loneliness as well, it'll be worth it.

How are you willing to communicate?
PMs, Skype for voice or face chat eventually, any other form of online messenger really. You can talk to me any time! I will respond back.

#62 ·
Who are you?
My name is Phil. I'm a 24 year old from Alberta, Canada. I like playing videos, reading comics and manga, watching movies, TV, and anime. I've been on SAS for awhile but only pop on every now and then during those moments where I'm feeling lonely.

I'd like to have people with similar interests and age to chat with regularly. Don't worry, I won't rant to you at all. Gender doesn't matter.

Skype probably works best for me as I don't come here much. Shoot me a PM!

#63 ·
1) Who are you?

My name is Nicole. I'm 18, and from the US! Video games are my biggest hobby. A big console gamer, as my PC isn't stellar. I have played a few MMO's before though. I'm also a huge Transformers fan. Seriously. It's like a curse.
It's been awhile, but I enjoy watching anime and reading manga from time to time. :) I'm on SAS hoping to meet people I can share my problems with and make good friends.

Acquaintances, BFFs... you name it! I'm not in search of any particular. I've made a friend on here already, but you can never have enough friends. Small talk is fine, but I would prefer to talk more then that. It would be awesome if I could meet people close to me, but its certainly not necessary. Having friends halfway across the world is pretty awesome too. Age, gender, nationality.. those don't matter to me! I would like to point out that I am an atheist, I hope that doesn't offend you.

Skype! I am always on skype. Maybe even facebook, if I ever decide to make one of those again. Shoot me a PM and lets chat!

#64 ·
Who are you?

I'm Raven, I'm 19 now but I'll be 20 in a few days. I live in the U.S. I'm a full-time student majoring in Criminal Justice. My hobbies are playing video games, watching anime, reading, and playing board games. I'm really just a nerd.

Someone to talk to. Many people who I talk to on here message me a few times, and then I never hear from them again which makes me feel like I've said or done something wrong. So I'm looking to make some friends who won't just stop talking to me randomly without telling me why. We don't have to have everything in common, I'll talk about anything. I don't care where you're from, your age, gender or anything like that. I'm not picky.

PMs on here, Facebook, or Kik (my username is the same as it is on here). And maybe Skype later on.

#65 ·
1) Who are you?
Bored person trying to reach out to other bored people all around the world oooh yeah.

People to pass time with. Let's not label it :group

Through pretty much anything... skype, kik, sas. Would be open for camming or voicing if we've talked for a bit.

If the desperation for hasn't shined through properly let me say it like this... I'll talk to anyone that doesn't want to cyber.

#67 ·
1. Who are you?
You can call me Kai, I'm 24 about to be 25 years old. I live in the US. My hobbies include woodworking, archery, taxidermy. My interests include camping, fishing, traveling, hunting, photography. I am on SAS because I have sa and not good at meeting people.
Nerd Fact: I have an ocarina and can play Zelda songs :b
2. What are you looking for?
I am looking for friends, people, someone to talk to. I'm a good listener, non judgmental, non confrontational, down to earth kind of girl. I am religious so if you don't like that we might not along well.

PM or email​

#68 ·
1) Who are you?

I am Thor, son of Odin and Frigga. I, the God of Thunder, fight for the glory of all of Asgard.

I wish to learn new experiences amongst my Midgardian acquaintances and understand how such puny mortals joyfully inhabit this inferior realm.

If you are worthy, we can rendezvous at Bifrost between Midgard and Asgard. I shall strike lightning upon earth to alert you of my arrival. Or you could just send a PM...or something...

I'm not lying...honest :um

#69 ·
1) Who are you?

I'm Sarah, 32 year old married female from Belgium..
Working within IT and in my free time I enjoy drinking tea, yoga, reading books, listening to music, watching thriller movies, travelling and much more!
I stumbled upon SAS and when reading what other people were writing I felt I wasn't alone with these feelings and that there was a name for it...

It would be wonderful to meet new friends who can make me smile when I feel down, who have an ear when I want to vent.. Being able to do be such a friend for you too would be a plus :) Gender isn't really important, neither is location. As for age.. I don't mind talking to older or younger people somewhere around my age.

I'd love to communicate via skype text only ( fae_sarah ) , since that's the easiest for me, though a private message here at SAS is also welcome :)

#70 ·
Ill give this a go, although i don't think ill have much in common with most on here.

) Who are you?

Chris I'm 26 & from the UK

Love music, binge watching series on netflix, wildlife/animals. Walking outdoors, Comics, Mixed Martial Arts, Gaming

Im a big hiphop fan, I enjoy most genres of music tho. I spend 90% of days listening to music. I also have a lastfm if anyone wants to see what im into.

Im a casual gamer, I have a PS4 (pm for psn if u want it) I am planing to build my own PC tho and fully convert to PC gaming.

I enjoy watching the UFC & watch most events. Usually the day after because of timezone differences.

Love reading marvel comics, X-men are my favorite. I read Avengers & a few of the cosmic books.

Driving out to the country or nearby loch for wildlife spotting is also something i enjoy doing.

Someone who shares some of my interests but has plenty of there own so we can learn from each other and possibly gain some new hobbies.

Guys & Girls are welcome as long as you aren't a serial killer/stalker/weirdo

Location isn't really important, I doubt i would meet anyone on here.

Similar age or a little older preferred. If you are younger and think we would get on well together give me a pm on here.

Want to chat semi regularly depending how well we get on, Will probably chat more with ppl i can relate to and be myself with.

PM on here, txt, email, skype..although i dont have an account i could make one if it is easier.

#72 ·
Ok, I'll give this a shot.

I'm Luke. I'm 20 years old and have had SA for as long as I can remember. I live just outside London.
I work in IT and am a complete recluse in my spare time. I spend most of my time gaming (mostly single player, to be honest. I'm usually as bad online as I am in real life.), reading manga/watching anime or reading. I also collect WH40k minutures (though I don't actually play any games with them anymore) and have recently started with magic the gathering.

Someone to talk to online. Nothing romantic. Just someone who shares a few interests to talk to would be nice.

By PM or Skype, or even email would be fine. Just text only (at least to begin with) would be preferable

#73 ·
Here goes nothing... !!!

1) Who are you?

Hi there! My name is Lauren. I am a 19 years old girl who lives in the United States (Indiana).
My hobbies include toy collecting, learning the Japanese language, the series Umineko, anime, movies, and casual video game playing. I have many pets, which are cats and snails, that I love dearly. :D
I joined SAS to help me cope and understand my condition and meet others like me to form bonds with.

I am looking for friendships and/or even something more (unfortunately I get way over my head when I meet awesome guys, LOL...)
I'm looking for those with similar interests as they're all I can really talk about, but we don't have to have everything in common!

SAS private messages and Skype (whether is text only, voice only or video calls)

#74 ·
1- Hello peeps. My name is Joaquin Martinez! I live in Texas. I am a very nice person! I'm almost never rude to others. I love playing videogames and dancing from time to time. I also make video blogs and I am trying to type two books at the same time. I am almost always online.

2- I'm looking for long lasting friends. People who can understand me or play videogames with me. I like people who will always be there for me because I really have nobody who is there for me irl. Also someone I can have a conversation with.

3- Ummm I can do here but I hardly come on here. I do have Skype, but I only do text and voice chats right now. I also have Twitter. PM me for my usernames plz :)

#75 ·
Who am I?

I'm Sarah, 20, Irish. I like art, music, dancing, singing and Thor. I'm studying pre uni science and I work at a theme park. My anxiety is making all of this very difficult to enjoy. So I decided I'd give this a go.

What am I looking for?

Just an old chat every now and then, a bitta support, a bit of a laugh.

Communicate?

Facebook, I have no other fancy yokes like skype or KIK, can't figure out how to work the damn things

#76 ·
Who are you? Ray, girl, 22 years old, grew up in Japan, residing in Virginia. I like just about everything: animals, discovering new music, playing games, instruments, learning, reading, working out, watching tv/movies, sleeping, eating. I love getting attached to tv shows and fictional characters, I'm always welcome to new suggestions! I'm very nice and easily amused, I will not judge you. I'm a bit of a goof though: I'm weird and I laugh a lot. If you need someone to vent to, I'm here for anyone :squeeze Don't hesitate to PM me.

What are you looking for? I'd really love a close friend...or someone to talk to/relate with. Anyone, really. Someone to hang out with on Skype or do things on the internet together would be awesome! We can be socially anxious together. :um:b

How are you willing to communicate? PM, Skype.

#77 ·
1. Who are you?
Hi my name is Lucas. Born in Taiwan. Educated in the US. I am 32 years old. Currently traveling around Asia. My interest includes bodybuilding, hiking, travel, video games, anime/manga, movies, mmo's, food, etc.. Got a lot of interest.

Im here on this site because I am tired of SA destroying my life.
I am looking for friends and somebody to talk to and also maybe help each other get over SA and live a happy life.

Prefer someone 25 or older. Everything else is irrelevant

PM, skype, fb, etc.. texting.. i am terrified of voice chats.

#79 ·
1. Who are you?

My name is lee. It has recently dawned on me that I'm a pathological manipulative disgusting creature of a person with sociopathic tendencies. I crave companionship and I stop at no cost to attain it. I selfishly feed on the joy and pleasure I get from making my victims laugh, doing whatever I can to help them find happiness. Little do they know that I'm maliciously feeding on their souls.... mwahahaha. Fear me.

souls to consume, life-force to devour, spirits to break, hearts to repair, minds to heal, my car keys and the remote control, missing socks sometimes, portals to other dimensions... sometimes an object that after looking around for a good couple minutes I realize I'm holding in my hand,

3. How are you willing to communicate?

skype, text, face-to-face in peaceful negotiation or otherwise, rap battles

#80 ·
I'm bored as hell so I may as well post here.

I'm Daniel, 24, South American from European descent.

In part due to being raised mostly by women, SAD and a lifetime of dealing with "Latino" male culture I really don't get along with the vast majority of men and I just don't find most men interesting at all.

So while I much prefer talking to women, I have zero interest in any sort of relationship or "hook up", I'm just a bored person looking for some windows into other parts of the world and perhaps the occasional platonic friendship. I do not care how you look nor will I ask for cam/pictures, I just want a slightly interesting conversation.

I have mildly geeky/intellectual interests and most of my friends have been more or less the same but I'm not the sort of person that's good to talk about shared interests. I much prefer to listen about the life of others.

I won't insist if it's obvious we're not going to get along and I won't be offended or anything if you end up deciding you're not interested. Hell, for every online friend I've ever made I've probably had to meet 20+ with whom it didn't work.

I've met a lot of people from the Americas and Western Europe over the years so if you're outside those areas it's certainly a plus but not a requirement by any means.

Basically, if you more or less fit that profile and just are willing to share about yourself and your life and would like to have someone to listen without any sort of commitment or awkwardness necessary then I may be a good option, I'm just happy to break the boredom by learning about other people and cultures.

I use Skype, text only, it's in my profile.

#81 ·
1)Who are you?
I'm Tayah. Currently 15 going on 16 in October. I reside in Seattle, USA. I have a few hobbies like I enjoy watching/reading/drawing the animus and mangos, video games, bingeing on TV shows, playing sports, traveling, and learning Japanese plus German. I can be geek at times over odd things too.

2)What are you looking for?
Friendships, the ones that never sink. I want someone who we can both gush our feelings out to each other and comfort one another. As romance, I liek teh mens so if our personalities line up and so do our interest then woohoo.

3) How are you willing to communicate
At the beginning it will be pm-ing on here, email, and Facebook. Once we're comfy with each other txt, kik, and skype.

#82 ·
I'm super bored, it's 3:30am and I can't sleep soooooo....

Who are you?

RadnessaurousRex, I'm in my twenties.

I'm into all kinds of geeky stuff, everything from gaming (mostly console, my rig sucks) and shiny new gadgets to photography. I'm also a Redditor and music junkie, Spotify erryyday yo! Other interests include exercise and firearms as well as hiking, mountain biking, traveling and generally just about anything adventurous. I'm basically a quirky spontaneous wild child haha.

I've cured a good chunk of my sa via exposure so I suffer from depression more so than anything and my moods generally all over the place :/

Not really sure lol, I'm bored out of my mind. I'll talk and annoy whomever :3

How are you willing to communicate

Mostly through here, if your lucky you just might get my phone number....kidding, kinda xD

#83 ·
1) My name is Felix. I'm 23 years old and live in West Virginia.

I really like cartoons and anime a bunch and I love art in general. I'm pretty interested in science-y stuff (though I'm sure as hell not an expert, I get super excited about it). Deep sea creatures, space, and dinosaurs in particular interest me a lot.

As far as hobbies go? I like to thrift and sometimes I draw. I also volunteer at my local animal shelter.

2) I don't really have that many preferences as far as this goes. Some shared interests would be nice, but certainly not required. I just want someone to talk to that I can maybe become close friends with.

One thing I want to make clear though: I have absolutely no interest in things being escalated beyond a platonic relationship. I'm particularly cautious of men because this almost always seems to become a problem with them and it's really not something I want to deal with. I want a friend, not someone who's going to make me uncomfortable and stressed out with flirting.

I joined SAS because I thought it would be nice to talk to people with similar problems.

3) Skype or SAS private messaging. c: Text only. I'm not comfortable with video or voice chat.

#84 ·
1) Who are you?

Hi I'm Aya and I'm 22. I live in the East Coast of the U.S.

I'm girly girl who isn't particularly "nerdy" so I'm not a gamer or anime lover but I do enjoy kpop. I like pop culture, fashion, music, movies, writing, traveling, and food. I enjoy writing my book/writing music and catching up on all my favorite shows on netflix.

I'm on SAS so I can better understand myself and my "condition". Making meaningful connections along the way would just be a plus.

2) What are you looking for? Looking for platonic friends. Some people who I can relate to and hopefully we can create a support system. I'm a good listener as well but I can't say I give the best advice :p.

Do you prefer males, females or is gender irrelevant?, what about age and nationality?, religion?, ideology? Gender is irrelevant just no thirsty people. I would prefer someone around my age 20-30. I would like to make a female friend tho. I'm tired of talking to guys lol.

SAS private messages, text.

#85 ·
1) Who are you?

A 30 yo swede living and working in a quite small town somewhere in the woods:)

Unfortunately I waste too much time in front of the computer not doing anyting specific. I'm interesting in geography, urban planning, society/culture in general (nothing too political or religious thanks) music (mostly Trance, Ambient & Downtempo/Chillout), computers/technology (when it comes to games I'm mostly into strategy and city building games), science, sports. But aside from my interests I'm open to discuss pretty much everything including everyday life.

People to talk and possibly friends. Preferable at around my age +- 5 years, but I can talk to anyone. It's obviously good to have something in common (for example share som interests).

I don't really have too much to complain about in my life besides being quite lonely, so won't bother people too much with my own problems. I think I'm rather good at listening to other people though.

At first personal message and chat on SAS, later on maybe some chatting software like skype. Only text messages though (unless I get a really close friendship with someone, then I might consider voice/video).