Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

The SAS "make friends" thread

73K views 727 replies 534 participants last post by  ed1980 
#1 ·
As a long time anxiety sufferer as well as Internet dweller I know that it is possible to make valuable friendships through the web. While those can never fully replace actual human contact, they at the very least help you to cope with life.

What I find funny is that a lot of people seem to think that they will make actual friends just by signing up to a forum, posting 10 or so times and saying that they want to make friends.

The truth is that outside of a few very veteran and active users, we're all just completely anonymous and unknown. And if you want to have some actual chance at making a friend then chances are you will need something more specific and personal than randomly adding people and hoping for the best.

So how about a thread where everyone is free to post who they are and what they're looking for in others?, if there's enough honesty we could all save time and awkwardness by not engaging users with whom we're obviously incompatible.

There are hundreds or perhaps even thousands of active users in this forum, chances that at least one of those people could be compatible with you. So why not try to make an effort and find that person?

Don't be just some anonymous user, share who you are and what you want to find. It doesn't have to be exactly what I'm suggesting next, some people may like to keep some details to themselves. But the more detailed you are the better it will be I suppose.

1) Who are you?

First name/age/in which country or region do you live on/your hobbies or interests/why are you on SAS.

2) What are you looking for?

Do you just want some acquaintances, to make close friendships or even a romantic relationship?

Is it necessary for you that a friend shares most of all of your interests or are you fine with those whom are different?, do you want to meet people with whom to have small talk?, or are you aspiring to find a deep intellectual and emotional friendship?, do you just want to vent?, are you a good listener and want someone to listen to?, do you wish to find people that live close to you and have a meet up or just to make some online friends?, do you want someone positive that will try to cheer up during your bad timed or do you prefer someone with whom to share the unfairness of the world?

Do you prefer males, females or is gender irrelevant?, what about age and nationality?, religion?, ideology?

3) How are you willing to communicate?

SAS private messages, Skype (whether is text only, voice only or video calls), Facebook, texting, Kik, smoke signals?, or whatever.

See less See more
#27 ·
Hey I'm Ian I live in Florida and I'm 26, jeeze... lol I'm getting so old! I'm big into music and art. I worked in California for a year on marvel movies, and now I'm back in school working on my degree. I'm looking for friends, cool people to share my boring days with and see how they're doing too. Easiest to chat with me through Kik or smoke signals.

#31 ·
SUREwhynot.

TIMEZONE: Pacific

LOOKING FOR:
Someone open to starting new anime series to discuss. Or just anime in general.
Sharing music (I'm into most things upbeat; 80s & 90s pop, new country hehehe. Also slower stuff like game ost, trip hop, etc).
Linking random/funny things found on the internet
Ummm and idk, I also like reading :D (currently: Atlas Shrugged) and some video games (ToS, FF8, Age of Empires, etc)

Other than that, I guess I just like random conversations, and talking about whatever issues people are dealing with atm.
NO ROMANCE.

COMMUNICATE VIA:
PM or SAS Chat, then if it goes well, skype. Only text unless we're still talking months from now ^^;

OTHER:
I tend to just keep talking for hours unless someone says goodbye or I feel a lull in the conversation (I mean, I don't pester people, but I tend to not be the one to end long conversations).

#32 ·
1. I'm Pookie3 ;) Age: 25 Location: the Netherlands

I like a lot of things but mostly reading (true crime), cooking, watching TV (shows like Dexter, OITNB, Family Guy, Law&Order), going to the movies/concerts/restaurants and traveling. Lately I'm also a little bit into exercising (fitness).

2. What am I looking for?

I'm open to anyone who wants to talk (male or female) but it would be nice to share a little bit of the same interests.

3. Communication:

PM/Kik/Whatsapp/Facebook/Skype (chat)

#33 ·
1. My name is Justin, I am 27 and live in Texas.

I read a lot, mostly fantasy and sci-fi but I was recently introduced to John Green's books and read 5 in like one week. I like anime and manga too, lately I have been watching mostly comedy stuff. Movies, tv shows, music, and drawing are some of my other interests.

2. I am looking for friends to talk to and get to know. I would like to have a deeper connection but just acquaintances is fine too. Guys or girls is fine. We don't have to like all the same things either, I enjoy when people introduce me to new things sometimes I wind up liking them A LOT! (Like those John Green books) Having some shared interests ahead of time would make getting to know each other easier though.
Age and location is not really a big deal to me.

3. PM at first, then if we actually get comfortable enough FB or even texting if you live in the US. I also have Kik.

#35 ·
Hi. I'm 22 and female. I live in Florida.

I love getting into a new tv show. Some of my favorites are The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Skins, Falling Skies, Will & Grace, Friends, The Mindy Project, Attack on Titan and a bunch more. I like clubbing, mostly edm types though. I don't do it that often because I have to drink when I go out if I want to relax and have fun and I don't like to drink often. I love american traditional style tattoos and I'm planning on getting quite a lot of them.

I guess what I want from SAS is to be around people who understand what I go through and that maybe they will be able to help me with my social anxiety. I don't know if I'm necessarily looking for friendship. I don't know how to become friends with someone online. But if I do that would actually be really nice.

#37 ·
1) Who are you?

My name is Nick, I'm 22 years old from the UK. My interests include cinema, music, reading, travelling, sports, fitness and healthy eating, technology and many more. I am constantly learning or trying new things however I would like to keep details away from the public so message me if you feel like it and I'll share more. :)

As my signature says, everyone's welcome to message me, however for the sake of getting more experience and a different point of view I would prefer a bit more a female. At the moment I am not looking for a romantic relationship as there is a girl in my social circle to whom I'm very attracted, so don't get creeped out,I'm just being honest. :D Anyways, if you're a guy and you want to get in touch, don't hesitate as well. :) I have had couple of internet friendships in the past but they were from my gaming years which are far away so we stopped keeping in touch unfortunately.

SAS PM at the beginning. I use skype very rarely, just to talk with relatives, and facebook is a little too personal.

#38 ·
Here We Go

1) Who are you?

First name/age/in which country or region do you live on/your hobbies or interests/why are you on SAS.

Do you just want some acquaintances, to make close friendships or even a romantic relationship?

Is it necessary for you that a friend shares most of all of your interests or are you fine with those whom are different?, do you want to meet people with whom to have small talk?, or are you aspiring to find a deep intellectual and emotional friendship?, do you just want to vent?, are you a good listener and want someone to listen to?, do you wish to find people that live close to you and have a meet up or just to make some online friends?, do you want someone positive that will try to cheer up during your bad timed or do you prefer someone with whom to share the unfairness of the world?

Do you prefer males, females or is gender irrelevant?, what about age and nationality?, religion?, ideology?

SAS private messages, Skype (whether is text only, voice only or video calls), Facebook, texting, Kik, smoke signals?, or whatever.
Who Am I: My Avi/Avatar has my name..i will just give a small summary of who i am..i'm of Nigerian Background, came to the U.S as a 4yr old tot..& basically lived & breathed & Grew with a horrible curse called Social Anxiety Disorder...yep..that's all can think off..as of now, also i was born in the European continent, actually Oslo, Norway to be exact, & was the only black kid..kinda like Token, From "South Park" my favorite character on the show by the way, love his one liners & comebacks toward Cartman, also i'm a weirdo..& i try to be funny..but fail miserably at it, but i have a good sense of humor, & adore comedy/comedians/stand-up, the black in me..also loves some stereotypically black stuff, but i'm not too afraid to call out the BS, that i see in the black community..or black media, i do like the obvious black stand-ups..like Kevin Hart, Martin Lawrence, Chris Rock the list goes on, but i love a bit of everything, many people wouldn't even call me stereotypically black..i actually got teased for not being "black enough"..or not liking rap music etc, you could say some of my tastes are on the white side, but i'm into different things..actually you guys should probably read some of my About Me page..it goes into better detail..if i write more, as i'm sure i've already have, this will sound like a memoir, or book report.

First Name: My first name is "Oscar..or Chilli..one of the two, whichever..you can pick..even Chilli-Pepper is fine..whatever floats you're boat; & none of those are my real name by the way:no..Chilli..is however close to my IRL name..but i prefer not to give out my IRL name at this time..i may only do that until i'm confident whoever i connect with is someone i feel extremely comfortable with..other than that..Chilli is the closest you'll get:lol..& my age & location are on my Avatar..look to the left of this post on your PC/Laptop screen.
1)Interests/Hobbies: My hobbies are not much actually..so if you are an intellectual/super smart-ivy-league person..you might find me bleh; i read just a little..that's if Skype doesn't get in the way, um..i play video games on occasion..many of my games are old..i have a Ps3, but mostly Ps2 games, i'm mostly a racing fan..i love the "NFS" Series..i have quite a number of "Need For Speed" Games..might buy some newer ones eventually..i'm also an avid Sims fan:yes..i looooove The Sims..Sims 2/Sims 3..i don't play any hardcore Computer games..so i might sound like an idiot if you ask me about "World Of Warcraft" etc, & I try to exercise when i can..or when i'm not lazy..& i'm unfortunately unemployed at the moment..i haven't gotten a lot of callbacks from interviews.
2)Why Am I On SAS: I'm on SAS because i have very bad social skills..& have had them since my single digits..i've actually always been shy; it's just increased overtime..& gotten worse, but it's also not that bad as well, i'd say it's somewhat mild..but not, my SA get's really serious when i'm around people of authority..for some reason i can't be around people who look..or appear intimidating, people who are stern, angry, curt, aggressive:no yeah...i can't be around people like that..or talk to people who are like that..no offense, if that's how some on here are..but a big part of my SA..are people of those behavior types, i had a bad experience as a kid with a family member who i will not name..they didn't know how to help me with homework as a kid..& they got easily frustrated, so whenever i got something wrong, they'd lash out..yell...& it would make me freeze up..& it didn't just stop at yelling..they hit me on the head:afr..it was so worrying that...even when i got the answer correct i was afraid to open my mouth, cus i thought i'd be reprimanded/hostilely punished again, so yeah..i can't be around people who appear stern/demanding..or people of authority, it's made me worry about, how i'd cope in a job setting..because if something is demanded of you..you don't have time to get used to it..or find you're bearings:no..sorry but those people really make my SA go overboard, & has led to me..even to this day overthinking stuff that i do, decisions i have to make; i've never felt sure of myself..& i'm pretty sure it's led to why i'm currently still undecided in college etc; there's more to why i have SA, but this is one of the primary reasons.
3)What Are You Looking For: In terms of what i'm looking for..um, i'm not sure...not really sure, acquaintance even IRL would be a safe bet for me, no expectations..& when one is online..you know you can't have too much expectation, with a site like SAS, people come & then they go...never to be seen again, i'm just in general looking for someone to "Get to Know" then eventually progress into a friendship, no pressure added, or needed; i'm open to anything really..but i should warn again, that i'm not super smart-intellectual/ivy-league..my intelligence is somewhat average & a bit below, it varies..i prefer people closer to me in age..no offense to people who are older, i feel like those groups could relate to stuff from childhood or TV etc..but my age preference does have a fair variety..anyone who is about 20-26'ish..we could probably hang/chill, i'm cool with that..i will say i prefer people who are either 21-23, but other than that, the other ones listed are fine as well:yes..also gender is not an issue, male-female-gay-lesbian, i don't really care; or mind..i'm also a Catholic, but not super religious, just spiritual..i do pray & such..on occasion, but haven't been to mass in quite a awhile, i also don't care about ones personal religious background or affiliation..as long as you are not a psycho/sociopath/racist-secretly-racist/hate people of gender/orientation..then we are all good.
4)How Am I Willing To Communicate: I'm willing to communicate through Skype & SAS Forum Chat bar, at the bottom of the screen..i might even do Facebook, but i might think about that..if you're interested we'd have to discuss that more..but yeah, i don't Kik..or do Smoke Signals whatever that is, but with Skype i do voice-call, video/web-cam-call & text message..i prefer voice & web-cam..just as a little exposure therapy, but no pressure if text is all you can do. & my Skype name is in my Avi/Avatar..just click the small faded x or checkmark..& it will pop up.

#39 ·
My first post was very short and rushed, so I'll try this again.

I am Cam, hence the very creative SAS name. I am 21 and live in Maine, US. I don't really like it here. I like Canada a lot, and hope to relocate to either Toronto or Montreal for school in the near future and study Biology. For now I'm basically working as much as possible and saving up. My interests are pretty varied. I love music; listening to it and talking about it. I listen to a lot of alternative, modern rock, classical rock, terribly bad yet good 90's music, and enjoy discovering good indie bands. I also like all different kinds of movies. Psychological thrillers are my favorite. Horror, adventure, and action are enjoyable as well. I also have a secret soft spot for romance movies. I watch a lot of TV shows, which are always good to talk about. I like Supernatural, Dexter, Game of Thrones, House M.D., The Office, Sherlock, Hannibal, and a few others. I like sports as well, but I'm not like a super hardcore fan. Hockey is my favorite. As for conversation, I'm willing to talk about just about anything without boundaries. Often times, the stranger the conversation is, the better. :)

I'm looking to talk to new people from the forum because I don't have many friends and enjoy having conversations. For now I'd prefer to just talk via SAS PM/IM/Visitor Messages, or skype text chat. Voice/Camera really scares me, though I would like to give it a shot to get over the fear and to practice talking with people.

As for what I'm looking for, I'm not really sure. Your age/gender/location doesn't really matter. I like to go into any conversation with no expectations and see what happens. If we become friends, great, if not, oh well.

Don't hesitate to add me, or send me a message :). I'll be sure to message some more people from this thread later on tonight.

#40 ·
Me. 29, female, North carolina. I like old rock music, vintage stuff, books, being outside, and learning new things and hearing new ideas. I'm kind and caring and a good listener. I can be blunt but just because I don't mislead. Can email...or text if it seemed appropriate. Send me a private message:)

#41 ·
ooo i wouldnt mind friends c:

1) Who are you?

I'm a female in my early 20s from ny c: i love love love anime and kpop, i can talk about those two things forever lol i play a bit of video games on my xbox like gta etc though i'm kinda bad x) i play maplestory daily and if anyone else plays, you are awesome O: lol I'm on SAS, well, cus i have social anxiety and wanted to connect wiff others like me. I also tend to use emoticons A LOT so if u don't mind me using one after every sentence den you might be my best friend LOL ^^ I'm playful and silly person so don't expect me to be too serious XD

It would be nice to make some friends that I can connect wiff and share my interests wiff too c: to laugh wiff and brighten each other's day in any way. I don't mind talking every day and to keep each other company since that's what friends do, and would love to find a friend whom I can someday call a best friend as well C: I'm a good listener and I'm very friendly, I've had many ppl come to me and vent and I've heard a lot of stories. I'm always there for anyone who needs me, so don't be too shy ^_^

we can PM each other on here and once we're friends, we can skype, ,though i don't do calls/video >.<

#42 ·
I could use the friends

1) Who are you?
I'm Valentine, 20 years old, and living in Los Angeles, California. My interests include comics, anime, books, and other geeky things that I can't really think of at the moment, just check out my tumblr: catwomansvalentine.tumblr.com . I'm on SAS to make friends, since I have trouble making them irl because of my social anxiety

I'm not really looking for anything specific, what happens, happens. We could be acquaintances, close friends, or romantically involved. whatevs.

I guess it would be better if we shared similar interests but it's not really necessary, as long as we connect. I'm more of a listener than a talker so I don't mind if you want to have someone to vent to. It would be great to find someone close by so we could meet up but being internet friends is cool too. I tend to prefer to have female friends and people around my age. I'm an atheist and a pretty big liberal with pretty strong opinions but I usually don't talk about politics or religion since that never really ends well. As long as your beliefs don't oppress or affect anyone else negatively, it's fine with me.

SAS pms are fine but kind of a terrible way to communicate so maybe we could talk on skype and then maybe move on to texts.

#43 ·
Meh, why not...

1) Andreas (or Andrew), 18 years old, living in Ohio. I pass the time by listening to music, surfing the web, and (lately) sleeping. Yep, this is my life. I joined SAS because I suffer from SAD as well as AvPD, and I wanted to try and relate with some like-minded people.

2) I don't have a preference whether it be acquaintances or friendships.

3) PM or email.

#44 ·
1) Who are you?

I'm Chad/32/Canada. I don't have a whole lot of hobbies other than trying new things to try and find a hobby that I am passionate about. I am on SAS because I have general anxiety, social anxiety, and depression with a seasonal component.

I'm happily married, so just looking for friends and acquaintances. I'll talk to pretty much anyone, but I do have an easier time opening up to females.

Pretty much any text chat...SAS, Kik, Voxer, Skype, etc.

#45 ·
My real name is Matt/Matty, I am 22 years old from the South West of England.

I am currently waiting to move to University in Reading to study Clinical Psychology. Due to the profession I wish to go into you can find me to be of a reserved observant nature. I am a terrific, compassionate listener and love nothing more than to lend a shoulder and give advice.

I am hugely ambitious and love to learn new things, I am very much like a sponge in that I love to soak up new information.

I am a huge lover of wolves and have a Siberian Husky called Luna whom I love dearly.

I love writing poetry to pass the time and expressing my inner most feelings through creative writing.

I am very philosophical in nature and try to find a billion ways to look at a single thing or people's issues. I can also be very passionate about life and those that matter most to me.

I love deep intellectual conversations I find this the most energising thing possible.

I am more than happy to speak to both males and females. While I am comfortable being single currently, I am open to a romantic relationship with a female. To find a shy female on my wavelength would be a huge plus for me :).

If anyone is interested in getting to know me more please don't hesitate to ask for my Skype or Kik ^^

#46 ·
1) Who are you?
I'm Kelly, 21, Seattle,Wa in the USA. I like reading, playing on my ipad, watching tv. I am on SAS because I want to make friends, and relate to people who have problems socially like i do.

Friends, acquaintences, conversation, human connection, romantic connection, someone who can make me laugh
i dont have many interests, but i really like learning about new things. i am more of a listener, and im also here if you need to vent.

Just message me if you want to talk :) i watch a lot of tv and read a lot (always looking for suggestions) so that can be our ice breaker ^_^

#47 ·
1. Who are you?
My name is Amelia, 23 years old. Living in the huge state of Texas. I am a college graduate and I like drawing, watching movies, playing games, and traveling to new places. Other than that, I am currently looking for happiness.

2. What are you looking for?
I am looking for people who I can have an intelligent, funny conversations with and play stupid coop/multiplayer games. In short: all around decent people.

3. How are you willing to communicate?
SAS message boards and Steam. Skype is good too, but I tend to talk on Steam a lot more :) Plus there is no pesky video. Group chats are pretty awesome.

Just message me anytime. I promise, I won't bite. :p

#49 ·
May as well give it a go...

1.Who are you? My name is Danny. I live in the great city of Lakewood, near Denver, Colorado, USA. I'm an aspiring pilot with an interest in emergency medical care. I would like to be a paramedic one day. I like all sorts of music. Don't have many hobbies, apart from flying.

2. What are you looking for? Just a friend or two, someone I can talk to about life. I'm told I'm a good listener. I just want to talk with someone who understands this whole SA thing...

3.How are you willing to communicate? Shoot me a message on this website and we can go from there. Please don't hesitate to contact me. I'm looking forward to it.

(I feel awkward just posting this. Should be worth it though.:))

#50 ·
Hmm.

Ok, I really tried to fill this out, but I just felt pretentious.

If you've seen me around the forum, and think that we seem to have stuff in common or something... say hi? I can't promise anything more than that I'll say hi back. It's good if you don't take yourself too seriously, because I don't.

(I suck at marketing myself, obviously)

#58 ·
1) Who are you?

23. CA in USA. I love to talk about nutrition, environment, animals, psychology, education, what's wrong with many of our societal constructs. My hobbies include reading, music, drawing, painting, fitness, and playing video games.

Friends who are willing to talk about lives, struggles, and intellectual stuff

I'm fine with people who are different. In fact, they are very welcome since you offer me new perspectives on life. If you share similar interests, that would be freaking awesome. I hate small talks. I like to talk about deep stuff. I would like deep intellectual as well as an emotional friendship. Venting is welcome because I will vent at times too. I'm a good listener who also wants to be listened. It would be cool to know someone who live close but online friends are good as well. I prefer somebody who are willing to validate my feelings and thoughts first before they try to cheer me up.

Gender is irrelevant. Age preferably under 35. Don't care about nationality. If you're super religious and traditional, we probably won't get along.

SAS message board, Skype

#59 ·
1) Who are you?

Beth, 23, NJ, USA

All types of relationships/people are fine really. I'm a bit obsessive over TV shows and books, I have a fandom Tumblr so if we shared those interests that would probably be best.

By text, message or Skype text chat. I'd be willing to do voice and video maybe but only after getting to know someone quite awhile.

#60 ·
1) Who are you?

Hey there, my name is Vegard, I'm 24 and I come from Norway. I recently discovered SAS after trying to google some of my problems that kept me up at night. Turns out to be a great supporting tool in some life struggles :)

I'm currently in between jobs while studying to become a paramedic. Some of my hobbies are taekwondo (martial arts), gaming, anime, mountain hiking, nature and traveling.

I'm open to most types of relationships/people. From chatting, talking, making new friends or perhaps play something fun together. We could use skype or other forms of communication :) It would be nice to make some new friends here. It doesn't matter where you are from, what gender you are or why you are on SAS.

PMs, skype, facebook, snapchat are some of the things I use :)

My skype is: spreaa (But you can also send me a PM) :yes