Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

The SAS "make friends" thread

73K views 727 replies 534 participants last post by  ed1980 
#1 ·
As a long time anxiety sufferer as well as Internet dweller I know that it is possible to make valuable friendships through the web. While those can never fully replace actual human contact, they at the very least help you to cope with life.

What I find funny is that a lot of people seem to think that they will make actual friends just by signing up to a forum, posting 10 or so times and saying that they want to make friends.

The truth is that outside of a few very veteran and active users, we're all just completely anonymous and unknown. And if you want to have some actual chance at making a friend then chances are you will need something more specific and personal than randomly adding people and hoping for the best.

So how about a thread where everyone is free to post who they are and what they're looking for in others?, if there's enough honesty we could all save time and awkwardness by not engaging users with whom we're obviously incompatible.

There are hundreds or perhaps even thousands of active users in this forum, chances that at least one of those people could be compatible with you. So why not try to make an effort and find that person?

Don't be just some anonymous user, share who you are and what you want to find. It doesn't have to be exactly what I'm suggesting next, some people may like to keep some details to themselves. But the more detailed you are the better it will be I suppose.

1) Who are you?

First name/age/in which country or region do you live on/your hobbies or interests/why are you on SAS.

2) What are you looking for?

Do you just want some acquaintances, to make close friendships or even a romantic relationship?

Is it necessary for you that a friend shares most of all of your interests or are you fine with those whom are different?, do you want to meet people with whom to have small talk?, or are you aspiring to find a deep intellectual and emotional friendship?, do you just want to vent?, are you a good listener and want someone to listen to?, do you wish to find people that live close to you and have a meet up or just to make some online friends?, do you want someone positive that will try to cheer up during your bad timed or do you prefer someone with whom to share the unfairness of the world?

Do you prefer males, females or is gender irrelevant?, what about age and nationality?, religion?, ideology?

3) How are you willing to communicate?

SAS private messages, Skype (whether is text only, voice only or video calls), Facebook, texting, Kik, smoke signals?, or whatever.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm me. Brit, you can see my age. I live in missouri. I like reading books about the future, technically what i mean fits in sci fi but doesn't include most sci fi, playing video games, watching lectures on youtube, whatever occupies my time and mind. I just want someone to relate to. Talk to about issues, daily troubles, or about games movies books etc. Geeky? Anxious? complicated? Let's talk. Pm me.

#3 ·
hmm, interesting, I'll participate ^v^

1) You can see my age on the side, you can find my name on my Profile, and I actually live in New Jersey. My main hobbies are video games, Anime/manga, and Art.(I have other hobbies but the ones I listed are hobbies I find great passion in) I joined SAS so I can rid myself of SA or at the very least cope with it. I also want to meet new people and make meaningful friendships with people who suffer from SA Like I do.

2) It doesn't matter to me, I'm open to any kind of person, any kind of relationship, even if it becomes romantic.

3) here on SAS is just fine for now, if our friendship becomes more serious over time or something, then I'm willing to go out SAS, like to Skype or FB, something like that.

hope you find me interesting : P

#4 ·
Hi. I'm in my 20s, a student from Toronto. I have no preference for age, gender, or location given that the individual is easy-going and has a few similar interests to me. Though big bonus if you are in your 20s, from the GTA, and stay up late. Acquaintances are okay but I'm really looking for friendships, whether that be online or local, I do not care.

I love pandas and cute things in general, /r/aww is awesome.

My profile has a not so exhaustive list of favourites for movies/tv/music/etc. Big bonus if you watch shows on the same day or day after they air. If you want to watch a movie / documentary together or binge series, I am open to that when I have time.

I listen to kpop and pop mainly. Always looking to add to my library so if you have similar tastes, youtube / soundcloud links are always appreciated.

Don't really care if you are a pessimist or a complainer, I will listen to your life miseries and give you sad faces :'( . Some people have mentioned I am a *****, some have mentioned I am nice. YMMV.

PM to start. Skype / Hangouts / SMS later.

#5 ·
I'm liking the idea of this thread, hopefully lots of people join in for some diversity! ^^

Who am I?
- Current college student from the U.S. I like to think I'm somewhat open-minded...
- Some things I enjoy: learning, bad music, nerd culture (anime/manga/games), sappy Korean dramas
- I have a mixture of SA/depression/ADHD-like issues

What am I looking for? (jeez why does this make me feel like i'm on a dating site)
- Online acquaintance via Skype; text-only & 0 emotional investment please
- Motivational buddy for self-improvement in areas like school/work/socializing

PM your Skype username if you're prepared to meet your next best friend ;) I love meeting new people!

#6 ·
My name is Shani, I live in Florida. My hobbies include podcasting, discussing and critiquing music, tv and movies, listening to poetry. I have diverse taste in all but I mostly like jazz, 90s rnb, soul and pop, and gospel. I've also been getting into British pop/soul lately. Spoken word and slam poetry are my favorites but of course I can appreciate stuff like Walt Whitman as well. I'm kind of an intellectual type, I like talking about society, culture, politics, and psychology. I also like playing with my aunt's malti-poo Abby. Does that count as a hobby? :b I come on sas because I feel free and comfortable talking on here. I don't have to worry about being judged. It’s the only place where I see people who feel the same way I do and seem to understand this struggle with sa.

I'd like to make one or two good friends and acquaintances are always welcome too. Just someone with whom I can share a fun, laid-back conversation about anything but also talk about the challenges of struggling with sa and what we're doing to deal with it.

I'm open to romantical opportunites too, if any come up. :eyes But I'm not counting on it. Guys or girls, doesn't matter. I actually haven't had a good guy friend since middle school, just acquaintances. Would be nice.

Chat/pm on here or IM, then skype once we're more familiar and comfortable with each other.

#8 ·
I love the idea of this thread and will happily participate :)

1) Who are you?

My name is Steven, I'm 22 years old and from the UK. I love sports, running, reading, gaming and computers. I have suffered from social anxiety for the majority of my life, one of the things I have never tried is signing up to a forum/website solely dedicated to social anxiety. So I thought I'd try it, see whether or not it is able to help my social anxiety or if I am able to help others who suffer from it.

Honestly.. I'm looking for friendship, maybe even a 'romantic relationship' who knows. Because of my depression and social anxiety, I haven't had a real life friend for 6 years. I mean that literally, not one real life friend. I live in isolation, withdrawn from the world and the people in it. My life is spent inside my room, where most of the things I do are repetitive. I watch movies or TV shows that I've already seen a hundred times. I read books that I've already read. I play computer games in an attempt to keep myself occupied and even possibly make friends. Yeah, I know it's a pathetic lifestyle, and I loathe myself for continuing to do it. I'm just so caught up in a routine, it's become my way of life.

I guess in all honesty, I am looking for friendship. People I can talk to, confide in and do the same for them. To form relationships with people, maybe even find someone who I can develop a romantic relationship with, although I don't quite know how that would work via the internet lol.

I'm willing to communicate via text, voice, possibly video if I have been speaking with the person or group of people for a lengthy amount of time.

#10 ·
1) Hi, my name is Edgar. I'm 15 years old and I live in the U.S., specifically New York. My hobbies/interests include playing video games, reading creepypastas, watching TV, etc. The reason I'm on SAS is because I felt that maybe I could help myself by joining the forums full of people who are also going through what I am.

2) What am I looking for? Well, I'm actually open to whatever there is, if it be friendship or something else.

3)If you wanna chat, you can contact me on kik (midnightblink), skype (midnightblink), or if you live in the U.S. and just wanna text, I'll be happy to give you my number, just pm me and I'll give it to you.

#11 ·
1) My name is Haley. My age and location are to the left beneath my avatar. I like musical theater, 70's and 80's classic horror movies (ie. the shining, Halloween, a nightmare on elm street), and watching tv. Bates Motel and South Park are two of my favorites.

2) I am looking for a friend, just someone to talk with, I am a great listener for those who want to talk about themselves, however, I am not the best at giving advice. At all. It would be nice to talk with someone who shares an interest in musical theater or even music in general. I like to analyze lyrics and movies, so it would be nice to talk with someone who also does this. Gender doesn't matter, as long as you are in your teens. I am willing to communicate over SAS messaging or email.

#12 ·
1) Who are you?

My name and age are in the profile. I'm from Romania. Hobbies hmm, lets see.. I like music (mostly alternative rock, you can find my favorite bands in the profile), I also play electric guitar(still learning) and write lyrics. I watch a lot of TV shows/movies and I like video games. I'm not playing anything online though because I feel very anxious in multiplayer. I think I suffer from social anxiety or AvPD and some form of OCD (probably pure O), also BPD but I've never being officially diagnosed.

Online friends I guess IDK, someone to talk to. I'm open to anything. Preferably someone with similar interests as me because I'm not that good at small talk but it doesn't really matter. I don't care about location, gender, nationality etc.

SAS private messages or chat, Skype.

#13 ·
1) Name is Justin age hometown to the left. I really enjoy watching and playing sports basketball football. I am a big video game player COD Socom pokemon! And a big time movie guy love horror movies as you can judge by my Avatar. And i listen to all kings of music all kings foo fighters 3 days grace w/e. Also i love the walking dead show/Comic and Breaking Bad. And i have some SA problems.

2) Just someone to talk to and learn from. I like to meet new people and try to help people out as much as i can. Gender does not matter really but i wont lie would like to talk to more girls in my life. And just looking for friendships and getting to know some people that deal with SA like me.

3) I can talk on here Pm style or FB does not matter just let me know if you want to get to know this crazy fella here:D

#14 ·
Smart idea for a topic, sir. Lessee...

1) I'm 25 years old. born and raised in Northeast Ohio in the US. When I'm in my best mood, I'm highly into drawing, reading, history, criminology, psychology, and other **** like that. I also like manga, video games, and programming. I'm not as cynical as I used to be, but I have a dark(-ish) and gross sense of humor; I live on sites like Dreamin' Demon and snark sites like Cracked. Also big on personal development/self-improvement sites.

2) I'm looking for friends, and only friends. I have a ridiculous fear of coming off as snobby, but after years of forcing friendships with people I share no common ground with out of sheer desperation, or just the idea that I should challenge myself by associating with people really different from me-which only served to hurt both me and them- I realize the importance of some kind of genuine connection. Even a shared laugh over a stupid joke once in a blue moon counts.

3) No preference in regards to age, gender, or location, though someone who I could potentially meet in person would be kickass. PM and Skype are equally fine, and on Skype, I can do text and voice, maaaybe video after some time of getting to know you.

Another thing-I tend to invest in online friends the same way I imagine people invest in real life friends. Whether that be healthy or not, it is what it is. If you're the kind of person who views an online friend as just text on a screen, make that known early and often so I can pull back and lower my expectations.

#15 ·
1) Who are you?

I'm Allie. I'm 16, bordering on 17. I live in the U.S., in California. I love volunteering (especially with animals) and music. I like watching tv. I'm on SAS because I need help trying to cope with my social anxiety.

I would like to make some friendships or even acquaintances. I don't currently have any friends so I'm pretty lonely.

I don't mind talking to people with other interests. I prefer making friendships as I stated before, but even finding someone who I can make small talk with will be fine. I want someone who I can vent to and who feels comfortable venting to me. It would be nice to find someone who lives near me, but that isn't necessary. I want someone who can make me happy but can also be understanding when I am feeling down. For example, if I'm sad, I want to be cheered up and if I'm mad, I want someone to understand why I'm mad. I would also like to do the same for them. Gender is irrelevant to me and so is nationality. However, I am a very liberal person so I probably can't make friends with a person who is too religious.

I am willing to communicate by private messaging, emails, and even texts if that's possible. I do have Skype and I am willing to voice chat on there. I might also be willing to video chat but it might take some time for me to get comfortable doing that with a person.

#16 ·
Misha 24/f/london

Hi

Quick intro about I'm a 24 year old girly girly - into makeup nails, hair and clothes. But not obsessively lol. I can still hold quite the intellectual conversation. (Im actually an economics graduate so I am interested in finance/econ dvpt issues ).

Hobbies:

Watching crime dramas: CSI, Law and Order, Major crimes, Criminal Minds
Learning Spanish
Cooking
Clothes shopping (or at least browsing)
Planning countries I would eventually like to visit.

I am looking for internet friends ! and hopefully with time it would progress to deeper friendships. If we bond I can be quite chatty. I would like to think of myself as a good listener lol.

I would prefer instant communication text forms first.

#17 ·
1. I don't want to give out my name and stuff just yet. My main interests are anime/manga, a few videogame series, and fashion/beauty.I don't have many hobbies right now, just reading and cooking.

2. It would be nice to make some close friends here, but I'm not sure if I can really feel connected to someone through internet alone. I'm willing to try, though. I'm ok with talking about our problems (don't expect much good advice from me though lol). It's much easier to talk to people who share common interests, but I'm open to those who don't. I'm Christian, so I'd like to talk to people that are too, but I won't exclude those who aren't. I prefer to talk to people around my age. I'm not really looking for romance, but if we both somehow started to like each other, I'd be open to it.

3. We can pm here, then move to skype once we're more acquainted. I'd really like to voice chat through skype, because I think I could connect better that way (but I'm ok with text).

#202 ·
1. I don't want to give out my name and stuff just yet. My main interests are anime/manga, a few videogame series, and fashion/beauty.I don't have many hobbies right now, just reading and cooking.

2. It would be nice to make some close friends here, but I'm not sure if I can really feel conn

ected to someone through internet alone. I'm willing to try, though. I'm ok with talking about our problems (don't expect much good advice from me though lol). It's much easier to talk to people who share common interests, but I'm open to those who don't. I'm Christian, so I'd like to talk to people that are too, but I won't exclude those who aren't. I prefer to talk to people around my age. I'm not really looking for romance, but if we both somehow started to like each other, I'd be open to it.

3. We can pm here, then move to skype once we're more acquainted. I'd really like to voice chat through skype, because I think I could connect better that way (but I'm ok with text).
Hi, I have a bachelors degree in Friend Ecology and I think I might qualify to perhaps become an acquaintance of sorts. I have no idea what I am saying i'm incredibly bored....lmao :serious:

#19 ·
1) Who are you?

< -

My interests are music (listening and playing), indie games, literature, and writing. I especially like soft sci-fi, space exploration, fairy tales, mythology, poetry, etc. I have a terrible sense of humor and was recently introduced to a podcast called The F Plus, if you've heard of it.

Acquaintanceship to close friendship with people who have common interests and understand how anxiety even creeps into hobbies.

I don't like sitting at the computer and chatting just to chat, so we do need a reason to talk initially.

PM or Skype.

#20 ·
1) Who are you?

Hey there, I'm Matt. I just turned 20 and live on Long Island, NY. Some of my time-tested hobbies, are video games (especially pokemon) reading (currently reading some Edgar Allen Poe), watching movies, and deciphering music. Recently, I've developed an interest in shooting (like rifles at a range, not for hunting or personal defense), and am trying to get into some type of volunteer work, preferably at a shelter with dogs. I've gotten over my allergies recently and love them but I can't have one where I currently live, so it seems like a win-win to me :3 I'm on SAS because I've recently gone through a tumultous period in my life and am left for the most part without friends, and it's nice to see some like-minded folk.

If you love pokemon, talk to me I don't even care who you are. I don't have many people to geek out about breeding and battling and stuff...

I really would like any kind of regular contact- once a week at the very least, it's just nice to have some regular contact. I would prefer people near my own age (17-24ish) and especially a female. To be very clear I do want JUST a friend. I've always enjoyed female friends in my life, partially because I've had so much trouble making them, but it's always been that way. If you're a dude, that's fine too of course :) I kind of want to have someone to vent to, but also discuss what we're both doing to improve ourselves. I know firsthand how powerful having someone else who supports you, but you don't completely depend on is. If you're near me that would be awesome, but if not we'll just have to be good internet friends :3

My prefernce would be initially pm here/kik or text, but eventually moving to skype voice chat and then maybe video chat. I like to put a face to a name, and even voice chat makes a person feel more "real" to me.

#22 ·
1) Who are you?

Lloyd/ 22/ Hawaii USA
I enjoy exercise a lot/ talking about nutrition as well im into health & wellness. I'm currently play a video game called wildstar for hobby and job searching as well.

Some people to chat with on AIM/facebook/ etc just make sure new friends I suppose never really though too hard about it. Maybe someone to play the game with me wildstar or just chat.

Facebook/AIM/msn/ maybe eventually skype voice chat but I actually like RaidCall better which is like skype but uses far less CPU and memory usage on my computer :).

#24 ·
I think this is a good idea. I'll play.

1) Name, age, location... are in my profile.

College graduate. I majored in math, physics, and economics. Nerd/geek, whatever you want to call it. I love astronomy, sci-fi, naval and military history. I play chess and go, although I'm not great at either. Reader. Writer. I'm writing a piece of sci-fi which I hope to get published some day, but I know the odds are horribly against me.

I have depression and anxiety, and I'm trying my best. I'm trying to be kinder to myself. I'm going back into therapy and possibly back on meds soon. I want to live and breathe and take joy in what I do. I'd like to beat this and make something great happen. I need more discipline.

I listen mostly to indie. I love film soundtracks and I have a bit of a soft spot for romantic comedies and animated movies. (How to Train Your Dragon 2 was amazing, by the way.) I read fanfiction. I have a tendency to fangirl over things I really love. I'll say I'm not ashamed?...

2) I'm looking for a connection.

More specific? I got a few voids I'd like to try and fill. Maybe we can chat about mutual interests, if you share some. I want to watch and laugh at movies together over Skype. Maybe we can play some games on Steam. I have Civ 5, Sins of a Solar Empire, and a few others. If you're a writer, maybe we can read/critique/encourage each other. It'd be nice to have an intellectual connection, or an emotional one, or both. Maybe we can be there for each other on the really rough days. If we live close I'd be willing to meet up.

A warning- I'm okay with venting. I probably will do it from time to time. However, if it's what the majority of our interactions consist of it's incredibly triggering and draining for me, and it's likely our friendship probably won't work out. I'm sorry.

It'd be nice if we shared some interests. The friends I have found here and have stuck instead of lapsing into non-communication were the ones who had some shared interests. As much as we're all in this together in terms of anxiety, I don't really believe we can build a true friendship solely on shared misery.

3) Skype, google hangouts, or AIM is the easiest for me. Facebook isn't bad but it's mildly annoying having to leave the browser window open to chat. I'd like text only first, and if you really want to voice/video, I can work myself up to that; I just need a little time.

I'm going to take the initiative and message some of you fine folks as well.

#25 ·
What a cool thread!!

1. Kate. Northeast region of the US. 23.

Hobbies- I'm into a lot of things! I'm a PhD student in evolutionary bio and ecology. I love anything related to my field of study as well as environmental science/conservation. I really enjoy cooking, wildlife, exotic pets, photography, gardening, outdoor activities...I can get into just about anything. I'm not very experienced with most of these hobbies, but I love to learn.

2. What am I looking for?

Just friends. I'm already taken haha. I'm open to meeting people nearby or purely online friendships. I'm coping well with my anxiety and I think I'm pretty positive and successful. I'd love to help people looking for some support and encouragement.

Any and all types are welcome. :)

3. Communication-

Let's start with SAS PM or chat. If we hit it off we can talk some other way. I'm flexible!

#26 ·
hi my name is Valentine im a male and im from South Africa im 21 turning 22 this year...
i love listerning to music watching tv(movies,series)

2.im looking 4 friendship with any 1 male or female ...and if you are female and somehow we connect romanticaly i dont mind that......bt mostly important is dat i want a friend who knows what its like to have anxiety cz right now i have friends but they dont know what im going through and they would laugh at me if i where to tell them....thats why i came to this site to find people i could relate to

3.we would take here or on facebook r any way u like