Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Is kik the way to go?

218 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Tuan Jie 
#1 ·
I'm struggling to connect to people irl in my area. Connect to other loners and misfits, I guess. Has anybody had any luck with kik or any other platform?

#3 ·
Depends on how populated your area I suppose, but places do have peer support groups and meetups that cater to the SA, general anxiety, depressed, lonely, shy, etc. If you have difficulty finding such a group possibly google or call a therapist's practice to ask if you they can recommend something local to you. I've been to a few and I know the longer pple go, they do begin making friends there. (Sorry I'm not sure about on a platform, i guess this is more the way you'd do it to meet a group initially.) Good luck!

#4 ·
@Cyan22
Thanks for the answer and the tip! I'm going to check it out. So long for kik :)
@realisticandhopeful
Thank you! I've been in several support groups over the years actually. One was very helpful. It doesn't exist anymore. Something about gathering around a certain "handicap" is not appealing to me anymore though. I think I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for (see a previous failed thread below). I'd be surprised if no tool exists to connect to other "misfits" in this day and age. You made me think about the possibility to join a Dutch chat/forum and perhaps build friendships from there. Not much activity there though. That's why I ended up here. Probably worth the try anyway.

Support Group, Facebook, OKcupid
I'm looking for some sort of support group or buddy system. I've joined some with great results in the past. It's a little different now though. I don't want to identify as a patient first and foremost. It was good at the time, but now the risk of this environment dragging me down is too big. I don't feel ready to join some sort of hobby club either, because I do want it to be a safety net if needed. My issues are too serious when they're in the forefront and somehow my friends aren't enough, although I feel blessed having them. I think I'm looking for people who are more or less in the same boat and would like to support and encourage each other while finding their place in the world. Work, hobbies, relationships. Just "normal" stuff. Something like the group Daniel was in in the last season of Rectify. A buddy system, I guess.

I'm having a hard time finding anything like it. Something in between being "healthy" and "sick".
In real life in my country, that is. There must be other ex patients and what not interested in this concept out there, right? I've asked my psychiatrist if he had a suggestion, but nope. I've done an initial search on facebook and a lot more with google. So far I keep finding groups where some sort of program to overcome x or y is central. I'm way past the point of willingness to attend those. Ain't I looking in the right direction or is there actually a gap between the "sane" and the "insane"?

Any of you had any luck on OKCupid with something like this? Suggestions are very welcome. Expand my horizon please! Thanks in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.