Therapy Group: Dublin Social Anxiety Group at the Mater Hospital - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Treatment Reviews > Support and Therapy Groups > Ireland Groups

Like Tree2 Liked Posts
  • 1 Post By Hello22
  • 1 Post By Elleinad

Old 03-17-2010, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dublin Social Anxiety Group at the Mater Hospital

The programme offered by the Adult Psychological Service within the Mater Hospital has been running since November 1998*. The programme is held every Wednesday evening between 6pm and 8.30pm here - within the Adult Psychological department in 63 Eccles Street, Dublin 7. The programme, which largely adopts a cognitive behavioural model, is conducted over fourteen weeks. While this may seem a long time most of our participants argue that passes almost too quickly! Any interested person might be well advised to do an Internet search of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) in order to get a better understanding of the principles that form the bedrock of our programme. Moreover, included in this website is a forum. Ex-participants mainly use this forum as a means of keeping in touch, but also as a source of support and encouragement. Potential applicants can access this forum and address any of their concerns or question about our programme to users of this forum that have actually been through our programme.

More Info: http://www.socialanxietyireland.com/
Email: socialanxietyireland@hotmail.com
Phone: (01) 8032855
Fax: (01) 8309323

Rate this treatment:
Click the "Rate Thread" link to the upper right of this post (login required).

Review this treatment:
Click the "Post Reply" button to the upper left of this post (login required).

Helena_SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have heard good things about this from many others who have suffered from SA and gone through the group.

I have already applied myself but there are roughly already 80 people currently on the waiting list, so I'll have to wait about 9 -12 months which I was told was to be expected.

I do have good news however. They have just set up a second group which takes place on Thursdays from 6pm to 8pm also. So basically there will be two groups running on the Wednesday and Thursday simultaneously. They usually take up to about 9 individuals per group, so 18 people split between the two groups in total.

You apply by email and include the following information:
Your FULL NAME and ADDRESS
Your DATE OF BIRTH
A CONTACT NUMBER - preferably Mobile
A brief summary of why you believe you have SA
A brief summary on how it is affecting you in day to day life

You should receive an e-mail, which will likely include an SA survey asking you various questions about your anxiety. You'll have to do four of these (this one inclusive): One upon application, one a few weeks prior to starting the course, one after finishing the group, and one 1 year after the course. These are done so you can see if you have made significant progress, and to provide them with information on ways to improve the course, and research purposes.

You will be contacted when they have a place to offer you. You'll then be invited to undergo a screening interview for the group.

They recommend "Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness" by Gillian Butler, which is used alongside the sessions.
The book can be found here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Overcoming-S...3464557&sr=8-1

I'll review this group therapy when I finish.
HUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. Considered applying myself but it's a long trek up to Dublin for me. I'll keep it in mind in all else fails though.
sleepytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Are there any support groups operating in cork, not even therapy groups, but just standard support groups or wld anyone be interested in setting up such a group?
Sa101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa101 View Post
Are there any support groups operating in cork, not even therapy groups, but just standard support groups or wld anyone be interested in setting up such a group?
I haven't come across any but I would be interested if one exists or were se up.
sleepytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa101 View Post
No not that i know of........ i'm in Galway, so the Dublin thing is too far for me, plus i work evenings. Sometimes the Irish folk on here organise meetups, we can organise it in pretty much any location in Ireland (last two times were in Dublin, as Dub16 orgainsed it.) But if your interested in something like that we could brainstorm??
superhero87 likes this.
Hello22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hi!
First time poster. I'd be interested in an Irish meet-up maybe some time down the line. Taking baby steps at the moment.
andrew12 likes this.
Elleinad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hi
I am interested in meeting people with SAD. I`ve been dealing with mine for the last 3 years and I think it would be great just to be able to talk and share experience with others. If anyone interested let me know. I live in Dublin
MissJoannaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hi,
I too would be interested in meeting or at least communicating with other Irish people who have SAD.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

I just made a meetup thread in the gatherings section of the forum. If there's enough interest we might get something sorted for later in the summer!
"I think the existential dilemma is: We're social animals, so we all wrestle with a sense of inadequacy. But when we realize that we're not as inadequate as we thought we were, and when we realize that everybody elese also thinks they're inadequate, then the ache goes away and the idea that we're not a person of value disappears to some extent."

"I wash myself with a rag on a stick"
JimmyDeansRetartedCousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

Smile re: meet ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDeansRetartedCousin View Post
I just made a meetup thread in the gatherings section of the forum. If there's enough interest we might get something sorted for later in the summer!
hey,
did you actually set meetings up?
I'm having difficulty locating the gatherings section
saibh
sabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbath View Post
hey,
did you actually set meetings up?
I'm having difficulty locating the gatherings section
saibh

Yep we had one in the summer in Dublin, there were about six or seven of us. Twas the third one from here I've been to, here's a link for the thread. Sometimes it takes two pairs of eyes to see something

I think there might be something soonish, don't quote me on that though. Let it be known if you might be interested, the threads kind of higgledeepiggledee but there's stuff going on in the background, and everyone's welcome.

Slan!
"I think the existential dilemma is: We're social animals, so we all wrestle with a sense of inadequacy. But when we realize that we're not as inadequate as we thought we were, and when we realize that everybody elese also thinks they're inadequate, then the ache goes away and the idea that we're not a person of value disappears to some extent."

"I wash myself with a rag on a stick"
JimmyDeansRetartedCousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDeansRetartedCousin View Post
Yep we had one in the summer in Dublin, there were about six or seven of us. Twas the third one from here I've been to, here's a link for the thread. Sometimes it takes two pairs of eyes to see something

I think there might be something soonish, don't quote me on that though. Let it be known if you might be interested, the threads kind of higgledeepiggledee but there's stuff going on in the background, and everyone's welcome.

Slan!
Hey
That's brilliant, thank's a mill for the link!
I'm loving your use of the word higgledeepiggledee b.t.w haha it's such a funny "word"
sabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:30 AM   #14 (permalink)

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to setup a weekly Social Anxiety group in Smithfield, Dublin 7 shortly. Anyone interested in attending should visit socialanxietydublin.com for details.

Regards,
Anthony
overcomesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:48 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by overcomesa View Post
Hi everyone,

I am hoping to setup a weekly Social Anxiety group in Smithfield, Dublin 7 shortly. Anyone interested in attending should visit socialanxietydublin.com for details.

Regards,
Anthony

Hi can I get some info on meet ups?? I'd luv that. Also, did u go to the mater hospital cbt, I emailed but got no reply