Welcome to this forum site

You will get your issue resolved here.

This time the problem is pretty complicated to connect with
the experts visit the following link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 320 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 01:30 PM
SAS Member

I've had a lot of cbt. It takes time but it's worth it.
post #303 of 320 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 10:28 AM
SAS Member

Started this treatment last week.

post #304 of 320 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 04:43 AM
SAS Member

At the beginning stage, we will feel some difficulty in accepting other's opinions and concepts, but if you have a good counsellor, then everything will be easy. They know how to handle us. I too had Cognitive behavioral therapy with the help of Dr. Eliana cohen ( http://www.drcohen.ca/ ), an expert psychiatrist in Toronto. I had attended almost all the sessions and I started applying all the tips got from the session. It was really helpful.
post #305 of 320 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 06:07 PM
Stoic Hobo

Brain volume changes after CBT

"The researchers found that in patients with SAD, brain volume and activity in the amygdala decrease as a result of ICBT. The results are presented in Translational Psychiatry, a Nature publication."

Article at

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-0...olume-cbt.html

quoted below.

"After just nine weeks of internet-delivered cognitive behavioural therapy, the brain of patients suffering from social anxiety disorder changes in volume. Anxiety is reduced, and parts of the patients' brains decrease in both volume and activity. This study could help us develop more effective therapies for one of the most common problems in mental health.

We have known for many years that the brain is remarkably adaptable. For instance, previous studies have shown that juggling and video games affect brain volume. However many questions about how the brain adapts remain unanswered.

A group of researchers from Linköping University and other Swedish universities has studied how internet-delivered cognitive behavioural therapy (ICBT) affects brain volume and activity. The researchers focussed on patients with social anxiety disorder (SAD), one of the most common mental health problems. Before and after treatment the brains of patients were examined with magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

The researchers found that in patients with SAD, brain volume and activity in the amygdala decrease as a result of ICBT. The results are presented in Translational Psychiatry, a Nature publication.

"The greater the improvement we saw in the patients, the smaller the size of their amygdalae. The study also suggests that the reduction in volume drives the reduction in brain activity", says doctoral student Kristoffer NT Månsson, who led the study together with Linköping colleague Gerhard Andersson and researchers from the Karolinska Institutet, Uppsala University, Umeå University and Stockholm University.

The study comprised 26 individuals treated over the internet for nine weeks, making it a relatively small study. However, it is unique in that it investigates multiple factors at the same time: post-treatment changes in both brain volume and brain activity.

"Although we didn't look at that many patients, this work provides some important knowledge – especially for all the sufferers. Several studies have reported that certain areas of the brain differ between patients with and without anxiety disorders. We've shown that the patients can improve in nine weeks – and that this leads to structural differences in their brains", says Kristoffer NT Månsson.

Kristoffer NT Månsson sees the study as a first step in a larger project. Ultimately the aim is to better understand the psychological and biological effects of treatment – in order to develop more effective therapies. The research team is now moving forward with studies on more patients. One study aims to identify the point during the treatment where the change in the brain occurs. "
post #306 of 320 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 11:19 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
I am about to start therapy next week and I see CBT as a mind over matter therapy but we can't actually control our feelings with our mind as our mind does not control our feelings so although I am open to any treatment I am slightly skeptical as to whether it will be effective or not, the lengthy ongoing process is also rather daunting
post #307 of 320 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 06:03 AM
SAS Member

Thanks for sharing that Errol
post #308 of 320 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 10:03 PM
SAS Member

I've found that CBT does help to a certain extent, but is in no means a magic bullet. I think that combining a a variety of techniques helps me: CBT, medication, mindfulness, daily meditation and exposure therapy, to name a few.
www.ibeatmysocialanxiety.com
post #309 of 320 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 12:28 AM
Life is... Random

My Mood: Pensive
Quote:
Originally Posted by alterrain View Post
I've found that CBT does help to a certain extent, but is in no means a magic bullet. I think that combining a a variety of techniques helps me: CBT, medication, mindfulness, daily meditation and exposure therapy, to name a few.
www.ibeatmysocialanxiety.com
nice plug...

Out of the blue
and into the black.

They give you this,
but you pay for that?

And once you're gone, you can never come back.

When you're, out of the blue
and into the black.

It's better to burn out
Than to fade away

post #310 of 320 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 04:32 PM
experimental sincerity

I've been told that CBT is very effective if you commit to it. Needless to say, it's hard to commit. I never completed mine :/
post #311 of 320 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 10:58 PM
SAS Member

CBT is a lot about disarming beliefs that you have and practicing new behaviors that will train your brain to eventually bypass the anxiety. I did some sessions and they were helpful mainly to open up about what the causes of my anxiety, and to understand what behaviors i do to run away from situations that could potentially help me learn and defeat the anxiety.
The problem is that trying to comfront the fear is what can be so intense and nerve racking that makes you think about it before you try again.
I have had sucess with fish oil providing a calming effect and also makes you more focused. This has enabled me to try more times to take the bull by the horns and not runaway from scary situations.
I feel like i had made more progress like this than any other way. CBT has help me understand why i do what i do when anxious but the fish oil has helped me get the courage to try. I hope that as i allow myself to take more steps taking something that eliminates some of the anxiety symptoms then eventually i will be able to conquer this once and for all.
For example, just to see the toastmaster flyer at my work used to give me a cold chill. Now i see it as something i might try in the future, and it doesnt absolutely terrify me
post #312 of 320 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 10:27 PM
SAS Member

I will be starting it soon. I really hope it helps...i am so done with my SA... it has ruined my life. I'll come back to post after a few sessions!
post #313 of 320 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 11:44 PM
SAS Member

I was due to go on Tuesday last week but I couldn't bring myself to attend. I was worried and trying another therapy after counselling might be a step too far...

I'm taking things day by day, if I feel the need I'll ask my doctor for another referral if going it solo is a lost cause. I sometimes feel I'm burdening the person with all these thoughts I have and sometimes you can tell the wrong people the wrong thing. Just staying positive atm
post #314 of 320 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 09:59 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Stressed
Finished CBT Therpay recently and can say it hasn't helped really. The following post is not to discourage anyone from going through with CBT it's more to do with my experience. I will try and keep this brief as possible.

I was reffered for a 12 week CBT programme by my doctor a few months ago, I was discharged last week. Honestly I feel the techniques are just a way to cloud the harsh reality that we face as socially anxious/depressed people, now I cannot speak for other peoples experiences here just my own but I have always been a social reject and I know it's because im mentally challenged and not conventionally attractive and when you are both of those things you are going to have people treat you like utter scum and that's what I have experienced, that is where my social anxiety stems from.

Anyway as the weeks gradually built up I told my therapist how people react towards me and how it makes me become more distant and reclusive to which her response was "Well, you have to realise that a lot of people come accross rubbish people who treat them bad through their lives, however you must understand that there are people out there who care about you and don't see you in a negative way" of course there was truth to what she said but most people treat me differently and speak to me like a piece of crap so clearly the few people who do treat me well are going to be clouded over by the majority who treat me like crap, that's just the way it goes.

I am in no way trying to play the victim here or in any way feel sorry for myself, it's just that CBT didn't work because of the **** I have had to and still do endure, so even if I practiced the techniques, people still would see me as a social reject and that is never going to help me overcome my anxiety and depression.

The techniques seem quite basic and cheaply thought of but with the right enviroment and decent people you should be able to overcome a lot of the issues you have by applying the CBT techniques into your daily life but I really do feel like it's a temporary fix for a lot of people.

Apologies for the self depricating rambling.
post #315 of 320 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 02:38 PM
SAS Member

Currently doing dr. thomas richards overcoming social anxiety step by step series. And i can say, if this stuff is practiced everyday it works. Its a slow process but its worth it, Im just on my third week but i feel like a 10-15 % improvement so im going to keep going.

even if this just helped one person, i would do it, because theres a cure, it really just depends on how bad you want to cure your S.A.D. If you're sick and tired of being a loner, having no friends, not being able to keep a job, having depression, not being able to connect with others, being nervious all the time, having irrational negative thoughts all the time, and all this while knowing that its a lie your mind is telling you, then you will do anything anybody tells you to overcome it. If they telll you to jump on the lake titi-kaka naked at 3 am you're gonna do it, because you are absolutely willing to do anything to not live this way any more, and thats the bottom line

Cognitive: Everytime you get a negative thought, cut it down with a rational statement and you'll break the cycle down fast till it has no power over you and shrinks...

Behavioural: get out, stay out, join groups, clubs, teams, plays, etc... "however you feel, get up, dress up and show up" People are nicer than you think, rediscover this and stay active and go to as many social activities as you can... this is the essence of confidence..
post #316 of 320 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 07:51 PM
SAS Member

CBT work for me but we need commitment

A comprehensive website about relieve anxiety and how it affects our minds and bodies http://myworthlife.com/
post #317 of 320 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 07:54 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmandelafoto View Post
Currently doing dr. thomas richards overcoming social anxiety step by step series. And i can say, if this stuff is practiced everyday it works. Its a slow process but its worth it, Im just on my third week but i feel like a 10-15 % improvement so im going to keep going.

even if this just helped one person, i would do it, because theres a cure, it really just depends on how bad you want to cure your S.A.D. If you're sick and tired of being a loner, having no friends, not being able to keep a job, having depression, not being able to connect with others, being nervious all the time, having irrational negative thoughts all the time, and all this while knowing that its a lie your mind is telling you, then you will do anything anybody tells you to overcome it. If they telll you to jump on the lake titi-kaka naked at 3 am you're gonna do it, because you are absolutely willing to do anything to not live this way any more, and thats the bottom line
thanks elma i should try too

A comprehensive website about relieve anxiety and how it affects our minds and bodies http://myworthlife.com/
post #318 of 320 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 07:54 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shykoala View Post
I will be starting it soon. I really hope it helps...i am so done with my SA... it has ruined my life. I'll come back to post after a few sessions!
me too hope we can be better

post #319 of 320 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 07:55 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidfoxes View Post
I've been told that CBT is very effective if you commit to it. Needless to say, it's hard to commit. I never completed mine :/
commit is the point of CBT yes it's hard but after you complete it you will be a new man

post #320 of 320 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 08:38 AM
SAS Member

CBT has worked nicely for me ... I have reduced for example my days of ruminating on a negative thought from 4-5 days to maybe 2 ... Even though the thoughts are still in the back of my mind I can still semi-perform in the real world.. it is slow but it definetly works and it looks like the only permanent way to change brain chemistry .... i like it and it agrees with me...

I also lately have had an obsession that I want my pdoc to send me benzo's... i am a recovering alcoholic and thats why she wont prescribe me any benzo's because of addictive personality and stuff, but I think i really need them, don't get me wrong this CBT has saved my life, but anxiety is still real, and still VERY uncomfortable, and the other day I had a setback that lasted about 3-4 days and my mom told me, that she thinks i'm not well medicated. for those of you who don't know i'm on sertraline 150 mg and abilify 15 mg at night and they help but when i get an obsesssion its really bad and i can't leave my house or my bed and i cant even talk to anyone on the phone or nothing i don't feel like doing anything... so my mom told me that I'm not well medicated because everynow and then (about once a month or maybe twice a month ) i get these low's and I started researching this site for all the medications people take and concluded that I should be on benzo's ( i kinda went on that spiral of searching and reading threads for hours) and i'm like what the ****, i need them and they wont send it to me, now i have to battle it out with some antidepresssants and some anti psychotics that only help about 25% but not really enough

Cognitive: Everytime you get a negative thought, cut it down with a rational statement and you'll break the cycle down fast till it has no power over you and shrinks...

Behavioural: get out, stay out, join groups, clubs, teams, plays, etc... "however you feel, get up, dress up and show up" People are nicer than you think, rediscover this and stay active and go to as many social activities as you can... this is the essence of confidence..
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page