Meditation and Mindfulness - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 138 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Community and Website Administrator

My Mood: Fine
Meditation and Mindfulness

Meditation is a mental discipline where you attempt to get beyond the conditioned, "thinking" mind, into a deeper state of relaxation or awareness.

Similarly, mindfulness is being aware of your thoughts, actions or motivations.

More Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meditation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 138 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Community and Website Administrator

My Mood: Fine
Mindfulness-based stress reduction

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by StressReduction
I guess this is sort of a second-hand experience, but I work at a psychology lab that does research on Social Anxiety Disorder, and as part of our study, we offer clinical interventions to people who suffer from social anxiety.

Through my work, I have seen people go from terrified of the smallest social interaction, like saying hi at the grocery store, to believing in themselves and giving presentations in front of groups. I know that I've learned a lot from just being a part of this, and I hope others can benefit too. That's why I wanted to share my experience.

If you or someone you know is in the San Francisco Bay area is looking for
help (specifically, free therapy), contact the CAAN lab at the Stanford Psychology Department:
650-723-5977 or email us (caan.mbsr@gmail.com)

At the website you can find out more about our study: http://waldron.stanford.edu/~caan/Free_Treatment.html
post #3 of 138 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 03:17 PM
SAS Member

Meditation Really Works for Me

I've had anxiety ever since I could remember. I couldn't join a yoga class because of my SA. So, I found a someone who does meditation. I meet with her once a week to do some meditation and it works wondering for me. The negative thoughts and voices I had are subdued and now I know how to fight them. I'm been suffering from the negative thoughts for most of my life and I finally got some relief. I feel like I can do anything now.

post #4 of 138 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 01:40 AM
SAS Member

I'd already tried meditation and I'm working on it now. I still don't see any results but I could see that my negative thought patterns are slowly subduing. I don't know if meditation really helps me but the idea of mindfulness guided me in my everyday life. Mindfulness is good. Any good books can you suggest that will help me in doing my daily meditation?
post #5 of 138 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 11:11 PM
c'est moi

My Mood: Blah
I want to train myself to think in the present more. Does meditation help with this? Any suggestions? Thanks.
post #6 of 138 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 04:54 AM
Beautiful Mess

I practice meditation and it helps me. I am working on being mindful. I dissociate a lot.

If you fall- fall on your back. If you can look up- you can get up. Les Brown
post #7 of 138 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 06:26 PM
SAS Member

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcom23 View Post
I'd already tried meditation and I'm working on it now. I still don't see any results but I could see that my negative thought patterns are slowly subduing. I don't know if meditation really helps me but the idea of mindfulness guided me in my everyday life. Mindfulness is good. Any good books can you suggest that will help me in doing my daily meditation?
I actually have a meditation coach that also does therapy. So, she is like a second therapist to me. Most of the sessions are individual so she tailors the meditation to how I'm feeling. I'm so thankful for her because I only pay her $10 a session. Perhaps, you can see if there's any free meditation circles or individual sessions around your area? Personally, I need interaction. Books don't work for me.
post #8 of 138 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 06:27 PM
On me "toes"

Meditation and mindfulness is the main way I deal with my mental problems, has helped more than any pill does and in an organic way, obviously.

"When you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance"-- Lee Ann Womack

I am not my past. I am not my anxiety, nor depression. I am not my gender, or color, or social status, or occupation title, or any other label. I am not my story.
post #9 of 138 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 06:29 PM
SAS Member

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by StressReduction
I guess this is sort of a second-hand experience, but I work at a psychology lab that does research on Social Anxiety Disorder, and as part of our study, we offer clinical interventions to people who suffer from social anxiety.

Through my work, I have seen people go from terrified of the smallest social interaction, like saying hi at the grocery store, to believing in themselves and giving presentations in front of groups. I know that I've learned a lot from just being a part of this, and I hope others can benefit too. That's why I wanted to share my experience.

If you or someone you know is in the San Francisco Bay area is looking for
help (specifically, free therapy), contact the CAAN lab at the Stanford Psychology Department:
650-723-5977 or email us (caan.mbsr@gmail.com)

At the website you can find out more about our study: http://waldron.stanford.edu/~caan/Free_Treatment.html
That would be cool if they gave free sessions over the phone.
post #10 of 138 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 06:31 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoady View Post
Yeah i know the whole shindig on Presence and Meditation.I find it difficult to meditate, get uncomfortable negative physical sensations relating past experience through marijuana but i reckon i will shake it off overtime.

As for the meaning of Mindfulness its amazingly helpful,actually it was probably the thing that first brought me back to reality after a very long time especially to at least address my social issues.
I think if you keep on practicing meditation; you will get better at it. It's like building a muscle.
post #11 of 138 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 01:44 PM
The worlds biggest dork.

I've really been thinking about meditation. I think perhaps it could help me with a lot of problems I have, especially all of the negative thoughts that keep me down. But I'm not quite sure if I should do it or not yet.

But it sounds like a great thing.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.
post #12 of 138 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 03:32 PM
avast ye landlubbers

These things helped me immensely with clinical depression and bipolar disorder, lasting long-term, almost twenty years. Basically I realized how the emotions form, what thoughts and beliefs lead me where, and changed a few details. Now for a two-week period I might have one or two bad days; seven-eight months ago I would have thirteen.

End result is that I'm a whole different person. Change is scary, but good. It's been a shock and sometimes still is; I sometimes stop and burst into tears on seeing a shape in the clouds, or hearing a bit of music or birdsong; I haven't seen beauty in these things since I was a child.

Against anxiety it is difficult; under the pressure of dealing with other people my emotions usually still run away from me, but I've made some substantial progress. No medication. Before I stopped seeing her for lack of funds my last therapist told me I'm doing cognitive-behavioral therapy on myself. That was nicely encouraging.
post #13 of 138 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Pervy Ranger #8

I have been thinking about this for a long time. If I did it try it, I would need something that both does its job and doesn't rely too much on non-secular ideas. I'm typically unimpressed by theism. So it sounds like the 'real, authentic' practices that people tend to push as ideal wouldn't be ideal for me. No chakra, no chi, no ego obliteration. Something more general that I can at least better personalize and ritualize, perhaps, if I can find nothing better.

A soldierís heart
Reflecting back at me
I keep seeing mutilated faces
Even in my dreams
Distorted images
Flashing rapidly
Psychotically abusing me
Devouring my brain

Shell shocked
battle mortise
overwhelming desirety
Flashbacks
panic attacks
Death raising itís ugly face at me.
Got to make it stop
Canít take it anymore
post #14 of 138 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 04:22 PM
avast ye landlubbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brax View Post
I'm typically unimpressed by theism. So it sounds like the 'real, authentic' practices that people tend to push as ideal wouldn't be ideal for me. No chakra, no chi, no ego obliteration.
Then have a read: wikipedia page on mindfulness as psychology technique, divorced from religion and mysticism, though it does reference those.

Honestly I've never thought of it as mindfulness, but after several months of the practice stumbled on the description and was pleasantly surprised. To me it is nothing more than a higher level of self-awareness. Standing aside to watch oneself think, along with the ability to direct those thoughts to some extent, very useful in managing moods. I've got some minor social thing coming up tonight, in an hour, and the usual fear/anxiety/panic is simmering in the back of my head.

It's become a conscious choice to keep it there at a level I can easily manage, or let it flare out of control and keep me home as has been happening for years. I'm going.
post #15 of 138 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 11:15 AM
SAS Member

Trying it.

Hi,

I am trying to meditate a few times a day for my S.A alongside my CBT.

I am quite hopeful it will help with the thoughts that are always in my head.

Paul
post #16 of 138 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 12:31 PM
SAS Member

Mindfulness I can handle, but I have a hard time meditating because my mind races so much!

"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday."

www.anxiouskaley.com Offering experience and hope to myself and others with anxiety
post #17 of 138 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 03:04 PM
SAS Member

For those wanting to learn more about meditation and mindfulness, you may find it helpful to listen to some dharma talks. I've always found the talks at http://www.audiodharma.org/ very good. http://www.dharmaseed.org/talks/ has quite a lot of talks also. They're quite good to listen to for beginners and those experienced in meditation.
post #18 of 138 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 06:40 PM
On me "toes"

Guided audio CDs can help a lot for those (including me!) who have a hard time for sitting and meditating, and for beginners. I like Jon Zabat Zinn's audio CD's for meditation, especially. Also Buddhist meditation CDs such as by Pema Chodron and Jack Kornfield. There are many.
For myself, for therapeutic reasons, it helps to sit with something that bothers me most, to sort of aerate it, release the attachment to it. Sometimes it can take more than once or more for some things and only once for other things. It has helped me develop further insight, without getting too much in my head about them. Then I always focus on compassion, peace, love, joy, what I want to call the higher level states, no matter what I incorporate that into the meditation.

"When you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance"-- Lee Ann Womack

I am not my past. I am not my anxiety, nor depression. I am not my gender, or color, or social status, or occupation title, or any other label. I am not my story.
post #19 of 138 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 08:31 PM
is sad

I've been making attempts at meditation for years, but I have to buckle down if I'm going to get anywhere. I do much better at it when in a group of people who are meditating. I've been told that the energy between the people makes it much easier to do things like meditation and yoga. I definitely find this to be true for yoga.

Anyway, I think meditation is super important for people with SA

If I had my life to live over, I would perhaps have more actual troubles but I'd have fewer imaginary ones. ~Don Herold

"We only get one life as far as we know, instead of being sad everyday I think it's best you occupy your time by trying to better yourself. Also, keeping yourself busy won't allow any time for depression!" ~ Posted by Newmember
post #20 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 01:31 AM
SAS Member

Yes, meditation really helps, but it take time and sometimes it's too difficult to make yourself to meditate, it helps when you do it regularly. I think this method is righter but still prefer medications due to quick effect

Sorry for my bad english
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page