The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Community and Website Administrator

My Mood: Fine
The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety

Anxiety happens. It's not a choice. And attempts to "manage" your thoughts or "get rid" of worry, fear, and panic can leave you feeling frustrated and powerless. But you can take back your life from anxiety without controlling anxious thoughts and feelings. You can stop avoiding anxiety and start showing up to your life. This book will get you started, using a revolutionary new approach called acceptance and commitment therapy, or ACT.

More info:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1572244992/...etydisorder-20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:53 PM
SAS Member

I strongly support this book. I haven't finished it yet, but I really like the message. I find it very positive. It isn't so much a workbook to get over your anxiety. It talks about how you can live your life despite having anxiety. Something I really found helpful about this book is that it suggests that you are more than just a Social Anxiety label. This really helped me because through reading it I realized I've become all about defeating the anxiety and become all about the label. I can't really articulate the message well but I definitely think people here could benefit from reading it. It really puts a new spin on the anxiety struggle.

You guys should really really read this book, I would HIGHLY recommend it. I think a lot of people here could benefit from its message.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Kon
SAS Member

My psychiatrist (who is very old) thinks this is probably the best approach to go. But I'm skeptical of all self-talk therapies because of previous failures.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 08:34 PM
SAS Member

^ Well I really like it. I'm not sure what you mean by "self-talk", do you mean the kind of therapies where you have to constantly repeat good thoughts and stuff to yourself all the time? This book's not really like that...I'm actually not doing any of the exercises it suggests, but I just found its message about acceptance gave me a new outlook on my anxiety,without me really having to try at all.

Don't get me wrong, i'm still insanely anxious. But I think I've stopped beating myself up about it a little bit. It's helped me in social situations because I just let myself be anxious. I actually think people understand me better and are nicer to me now because I don't have such a defense and wall up trying to hide my anxiety. I can't explain it very well and I'm sure the experience would be different for anyone who reads this book. I just think people should give it a shot.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Kon
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foremma View Post
I just let myself be anxious. I actually think people understand me better and are nicer to me now because I don't have such a defense and wall up trying to hide my anxiety. I can't explain it very well and I'm sure the experience would be different for anyone who reads this book. I just think people should give it a shot.
The hardest part was this. When I was in group therapy, I had to tell a group of strangers that I abused drugs, which ones and the cause: my SAD. Once, I did that, everything got much better. I tell everyone, now. My SAD is pretty well gone but I still have performance anxiety. I think it may be related to my Asperger's/BDD? I'm not sure. Hiding stuff is being ashamed, being embarrassed. It just feeds on itself. I stopped caring. Now my wife has to stop me from telling everybody.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Kon
SAS Member

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 07:15 PM
SAS Member

I love this book!
A new practical book about mindfulness that lifted me and my friends from SA- i am really forever grateful to the authors. highly recommended!
http://www.amazon.com/Fully-Present-...5579534&sr=1-1
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 11:21 PM
More or less over it

This book almost seems like magic to me, so profound and quick its effects have been. I can't recommend it highly enough.

"When I accept myself just as I am, then I can change." - Carl Rogers
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 06:47 AM
SAS Member

hey guys, pretty excited about stumbling upon this book. i'm yet to purchase and read it, but i've been reading through the preview pages at google books, and just about everything is echoing my sentiments/epiphanies i had after a mini breakdown which urged me to change my approach from struggle&control to acceptance. ahhh, so excited to work with this.

just wondering, for those who've read and own it - it comes with a CD right? are these absolutely necessary? because i've found that i can purchase the PDF from the publishers' online store, but i'm not sure if it contains the audios and files within the CD. itching to read it, without having to wait for a physical copy...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 03:32 AM
SAS Member

This one I got as gift of anniversary from my parents. It really gives a positive approach to life.

womens health
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 02:11 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foremma View Post
It talks about how you can live your life despite having anxiety. Something I really found helpful about this book is that it suggests that you are more than just a Social Anxiety label. I think a lot of people here could benefit from its message.
very true. anxiety is a natural part of being human so it can't really be defeated. it's probably an issue of moderation just like almost everything else! I think the labeling is really a stickler too and people do need to realize they are not tainted and shouldn't be painted into a corner

feel free to message me if you'd like me to share what helpful things I've learned with you
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 11:29 PM
SAS Member

i have this book it's good, did the audio exercises and they really help only thing is that the book has a really complicated way of explaining things, it can really confuse a beginner in ACT, maybe if u read another book about ACT first then u can get much more use from it
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 07:01 PM
SAS Member

I haven't read that many books about anxiety, but the one I read I found it quiet helpfull, the anxiety &phobia workbook written by Edmund j Bourne
I suffer from anxiety and I think after reading this book I have learned a lot of things overcoming anxiety, and it has given me hope for feeling beeter.
Suggestion: when you buy the book read it carefully,understand, and you will learn a lot worth buying it
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 05:52 AM
SAS Member

Hi,

Does anyone know how this book compares to the following books?

'
ACT Made Simple: An Easy-To-Read Primer on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy' by Russ harris

'Fully Present: The Science, Art, and Practice of Mindfulness' by Susan L. Smalley and Diana Winston

'The Mindful Path Through Shyness: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Help Free You from Social Anxiety, Fear, and Avoidance' by Steve Fowers

Also, what is the different between mindfulness and ACT and is one better for treating SAD?

Thanks
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Querdenker

My Mood: Confused
Self-talk is an important aspect, but is it adequate in itself (?) Part of CBT (called "compassionate CBT") is thinking about what how someone who is on your side would view whatever you are giving yourself a hard time about. Another aspect of this is thinking how you would view the same thing if done by someone else. Generally you are harder on yourself than on others in the same situation.

cheer up - God is with you
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 07:15 PM
SAS Member

It's funny how psychology has so many trends. I haven't heard of ACT before but I did go through DBT and CBT. And before that, it was SSRIs and ECT. Getting better is like losing weight! Everyone is different, so the results will not be the same for everyone following the same trend.

Don't forget to check out your local public library if money is tight. My library carries this book on ACT. Also, it's worth noting that mindfulness is an important aspect of Zen Buddhism and that you can check out many wonderful tapes on this topic. Personally, I have made many strides just by listening to Pema Chodron. Fortunately, my library carries many of her CDs too!
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Individualist.

My Mood: Brooding
Good book right there. I got mines @ Barnes n Nobles for 30 bucks.

سلام وحب
MBTI Personality: INFJ (100% Introverted; 95% Intuitive; 74% Feeling; 68% Judging)
No company is better than bad company.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 02:02 PM
SAS Member

there is also a site that specializes in social anxiety and acceptance/ Mindfullness
The guy is called david hamilton and his site is socialexpression

Im just curious if anyone has tried out his dissolve social anxiety program, and had any success with it

DO IT NOW. SOMETIMES "LATER" BECOMES "NEVER"
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 11:35 PM
SAS Member

Zara Thompson

It talks about how you can live your life despite having anxiety. Something I really found helpful about this book is that it suggests that you are more than just a Social Anxiety label.This book almost seems like magic to me, so profound and quick its effects have been. I think a lot of people here could benefit from its message.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 12:40 PM
SAS Member

Thumbs up

ANXIETY, Somebody help me!! Author: Sara Burillo.
EXCELLENT!!! Fully Recommended!!
This book saved me... I hope it will help you
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page