Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness: A Self-Help Guide Using CBT Techniques - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Community and Website Administrator

My Mood: Fine
Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness: A Self-Help Guide Using CBT Techniques

Announcing...one of the First Four Titles in the Overcoming Series. The immensely popular international market leader of self-help titles. Step-by-step guides to self-improvement that introduce the methods of the highly regarded cognitive behavioral therapy technique to help readers conquer a broad range of disabling conditions--from worry to body image problems to obsessive compulsive disorder and more.
The accessible, straightforward, and practical books in the Overcoming series treat disorders by changing unhelpful patterns of behavior and thought. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) was developed by psychiatrist Aaron T. Beck and is now internationally favored as a practical means of overcoming longstanding and disabling conditions, both psychological and physical. CBT insists that our thoughts cause our feelings and behaviors. Even when our situation does not change, if we change the self-defeating ways we think, we can make ourselves feel better. This positive, pragmatic approach is popular with therapists and patients alike.
Books in the Overcoming Series:
* highlight the history and background of the disorder, who is likely to be affected, and what the main symptoms are
* provide a structure ideal for personal use or in a program using guided self-help techniques
* include diagnostic questionnaires, case studies, and workbook-style interactive exercises
* explore step-by-step techniques such as diary- and record-keeping, problem-solving, and managing symptoms
* include overviews of all treatment options
* offer authoritative, commonsense solutions to pervasive, difficult emotional problems
* are highly recommended by experts around the world
* and offer readers an affordable and easy-to-follow treatment plan

More info:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0465005454/...etydisorder-20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Welsh Boyo

Bump
Has anyone read this? Did it help?
I have it on my kindle, going to read it when I have time.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:22 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyVest View Post
Bump
Has anyone read this? Did it help?
I have it on my kindle, going to read it when I have time.
This book in particular was recommended on another Social Anxiety forum. I've not read it yet.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Welsh Boyo

started reading it today, seems good so far...
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 07:47 PM
SAS Member

I'm just about finished it and recommend it. It actually gives you assignments like homework to do so you can practice the steps. Pretty much it deals with peoples beliefs and how we aren't born with them we learn them when growing up. These beliefs can be negative as we grow up and cause sad and the book talks about retraining these negative beliefs and retraining your thought patterns.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 02:02 PM
SAS Member

Would this also work for avoidant personality disorders?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 07:27 PM
SAS Member

I liked this. It was helpful to me in understand social anxiety better. Understanding why the feelings are happening, and that you can interrupt the vicious cycles that keep the anxiety going, has been very helpful to me in lessening SA. My favorite resource is still the Social Anxiety Institute materials, but this is an inexpensive book that will help a lot of people.

You will definitely spend more money on things that will do a lot less for your life than this book.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 07:46 PM
SAS Member

I've read 4 chapters so far. Just understanding the problem and seeing that other people have the same thoughts and problems helped me out. I wish I had more time to get it read sooner. I'll do an update after I finish it.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 08:05 PM
SAS Member

Just started reading this today...still in the intro. chapters, but seems like it may be helpful. Had good reviews on Amazon too.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 09:34 AM
SAS Member

This book is really helping me right now. Understanding the causes of SA is a great help in itself. I'm working through the exercise s slowly but this book is definitely helping. Way worth it considering the price!

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing. -Elbert Hubbard

Really tiring assuming everything I do is wrong. I'm going to start assuming the opposite and see how that goes.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 01:09 AM
SAS Member

this seems like it would be helpful... thank you
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 03:01 PM
SAS Member

ive read the whole book and im doing the worksheets now. im doing it all properly making sure i dont miss anything and that i take in all the information. its only been a month or so but i think i have made some improvements. its gonna take a lot of work and commitment to all the books says to do but i have hope that i will manage it and get better.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 08:31 AM
SAS Member

Have just ordered this book, sounds very good and has a lot of positive comments from readers
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 12:54 AM
SAS Member

Have just started reading this book. Really hoping it will help me
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 12:41 PM
SAS Member

ANXIETY, Somebody help me!! Author: Sara Burillo.
EXCELLENT!!! Fully Recommended!!
This book saved me... I hope it will help you
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 04:12 AM
SAS Member

Guys, how expensive is this book?
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 05:20 AM
SAS Member

Amazon says 12.88 for paperback, new. You can get it used for about 7$.

Ultimately, the benefit you'll get is in putting the recommendations into practice in some fairly consistent way. So, for example, for chapters that suggest changing your behaviors, you should make a commitment to work on them every day, or five times a week, and stick to that for 2-3 months. It is almost exactly like going to the gym, where consistent workouts will get you in shape, while just working out very hard every now and then won't help all that much. I've found that gym analogy to be nearly perfect for SA. Your behavioral experiments are your "social workouts" and not letting yourself skip workouts will bring the best results.

So keeping a record of your achievements, which I believe the book recommends, is helpful. It lets you know you're staying consistent, and lets you feel proud of your progress -- just as a workout log does at the gym.

A great idea in the book is to be on the lookout for whatever opportunities come up to challenge your social anxiety in small ways, then take them. If you start brainstorming, you can usually think of countless small social challenges that you can put in your social "workout log".
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 12:16 AM
SAS Member

Is there a PDF or epub version of this book that I can download? Downloaded a PDF version but it wasn't complete.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 11:25 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
I know this is an old thread, but this is the one and only SA type book that I own right now. I'd love to discuss it with anyone who also wants to dive into it.

I read a little bit of it and it seemed very "gentle", I liked the way it explained some things. It was very reassuring.

I've been pushing myself to do more social things, ever since the summer... but in the last month or so I've really pushed myself to meet people and be more open. I kind of try to do one thing that wasn't typical for me before, every day. I don't always manage to, but it happens most days and I've been enjoying it.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 02:11 PM
Sour Patch Kids

My Mood: Cheerful
This book is great it really makes you to feel better by changing how you think. Still doing the exercises need to be persistent and patient to do them and theyre really are worth it..they really make you see your SA in a whole diff perspective and seperate if from your reality.

I highly recommend this book.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page