Dying of Embarrassment - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Community and Website Administrator

My Mood: Fine
Dying of Embarrassment

Dying of Embarrassment is the first self-help book every published on social phobia (social anxiety disorder). This book provides clear direction and the use of cognitive-behavioral strategies to overcome this disabling condition.

More info:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1879237237/...etydisorder-20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 01:30 AM
SAS Member

good book!

I have this book and would recommend it to everyone!
It helped me so much when I was going through my worst times with SA.
It is based on CBT and also shares other people's stories who have also gone through the same thing.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 01:40 AM
SAS Member

Here is one review on Amazon. I liked the bold part. I like the maladaptive term better as the reviewer does too. It looks interesting. I will probably pick it up.

"This book is an excellent source of help for anyone suffering from social phobia/social anxiety (sometimes mislabeled as shyness but actually a lot deeper than that). I found this book very easy to read and follow, unlike some other books I've read that seem to be aimed at therapists or people studying the phobia rather than trying to gain help for it.
This book has step-by-step plans outlined in each chapter that will help you get closer to overcoming your fears and anxiety. Of course, you have to work at it every day, and this book is very encouraging and supportive. Things like the authors considering our negative self-talk "maladaptive" (non-productive) as opposed to "irrational" (they don't feel we are irrational by dictionary definition) made me feel a lot better about myself and made me want to stick with it. I highly recommend this book."

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 04:24 PM
and i won't back down

I too used this book and feel that it is primarily the reason I have made such huge strides in overcoming my social anxiety.

"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more." -Albus Dumbledore

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 08:45 PM
SAS Member

I just went and picked it up tonight. About through chapter 1 now. The authors seem very well informed about SAD. I look forward to the rest of it. Kind of..
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Occasional Video Blogger

I bought the book a while ago and read most of it. I haven't even picked it up in over a year, though. I don't think self-help books will do any good for me. I didn't really get much out of this one and I'm not going to bother trying others because all anxiety books are the same.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 06:05 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_nobody View Post
I bought the book a while ago and read most of it. I haven't even picked it up in over a year, though. I don't think self-help books will do any good for me. I didn't really get much out of this one and I'm not going to bother trying others because all anxiety books are the same.
I got a little further into the book and gotta say I'm with you Mr_nobody on this.
The authors break down SAD into it's most basic components and make it seem like it's just a simple head cold. And facing it with the proper attitude will fix it. I'm gonna read a little more, but will probably end up returning it.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page