Overcoming Social Anxiety: Step By Step Audio Program - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Community and Website Administrator

My Mood: Fine
Overcoming Social Anxiety: Step By Step Audio Program

A complete audio series (twenty sessions), composed of comprehensive cognitive-behavioral therapy specifically designed and structured to help overcome social anxiety disorder.

More info:
http://www.socialanxietyinstitute.org/audioseries.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Very effective.

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by dontcare
Treatment Experience
I was doubtful before buying this audio series--when you're already spending a lot of money on therapists and meds, another $350 can seem very extravagant. But once I got into the exercises, I was really glad I had splurged.

BeforeI started with Dr. Richard's program, I had tried working with a few different therapists. I didn't seem to connect with any of them; they didn't seem to understand that while I would love to do the exercises they were assigning, there was some sort of blockage preventing me from doing so. Dr. Richards was different. When he demanded something challenging, he made sure to explain that every small step was major and cautioned that I not discount these successes.

Dr. Richards doesn't just demand that you go out and strike up conversations; with his personal history of SA, he understands that is an impossibility for most of us. He spends a lot of time tackling the negative thoughts at the root of SA, and teaches a variety of techniques to make your thoughts more rational. He very slowly adds challenges, starting with small ones such as quickly saying hi to your colleagues, while explaining different ways to teach yourself to relax and think positively.

Once I discovered, through this audio series, that good therapy can truly be useful, I refused to continue wasting time and money on therapists. I made up my initial investment many times over, because I did that. However, if you are able to find a good therapist that can adapt the therapy to your specific needs and give you encouragement when you're having difficulty, that is obviously the best way to go. I am looking for another therapist right now--many people advertise that they treat social anxiety, but I have discovered that there is a big difference between knowing how and actually doing so.

Throughout his tape series, Dr. Richards stresses the importance of joining a therapy support group. He has his own group in Phoenix, and some former patients of his have opened their own groups in other cities. Unfortunately, there are maybe 10 cities worldwide follow his specific methods; many cities don't have any groups at all. Dr. Richards does host an international 3-week group each summer, where he teaches his basic behavioral therapy techniques. The group is intended for people who have already mastered the cognitive techniques on his tapes. I'd be excited to hear from anyone who has actually attended, whether they really gained from this or not.

Dr. Richards also states on his audio series that he plans to create a video series with his behavioral techniques; however, I do not think he ever did so.
post #3 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

It's all how you look at it

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by basicallygoodperson
Social Anxiety Background
I developed SA when I was around 13/14, never knew what it was until I was in my 20's, just thought I was from a different planet. Never took any medication, and don't plan on taking any, I think research will show us in a few years that CBT is the best way to go for anxiety disorders.

Other Treatments
Dr. Burns' "Feeling Good" workbooks, this website helps me too.

Treatment Experience
I'm on tape 11 of 20, and I have had some major changes in how I see different aspects of my life. Before this series, I was a prisoner of how other people treated me, and what they may be saying about me/thinking about me. I was also a prisoner of my own thoughts, things I wasn't even aware I was thinking were poisoning my mind, and emotional state. I was pretty depressed.

Now, I'm starting to realize that it's only how I see myself that really matters, and my mind and emotional state are a lot more clear/light. It's a palpable feeling. I can concentrate more on other things, and I'm not so preoccupied with my own thoughts.

Overall, I would recommend this series, it's pretty expensive, about 400 dollars, but really worth the money. It's easy to use and understand, I listen to it every day in my car.
post #4 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Dr. Richards program is the real deal

Social Anxiety Background
Social anxiety has affected me since I was in elementary school. While it was triggered initially by a traumatic experience, it is something that runs in the family and I certainly had a predisposition for. Some examples of how it manifested itself over the years: avoiding certain types of social situations and friends, avoiding public speaking, avoiding the opposite sex completely, hiding in the library during lunch, the thought of just walking down certain hallways at my highschool terrified me, fear of being around large groups of people, fear and avoidance of going to parties or social gatherings, etc. My social anxiety started to get severe when I dropped out of college after one quarter because of my social anxiety. That's when I started to get uncomfortable just leaving my apartment and hit "the bottom" so to speak. Through treatment with group cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprogramming (EMDR) for mild Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), and medication I've been able to live the balanced life that I value and form healthy friendships and relationships.

Other Treatments

Jonathan Berent's Beyond Shyness program. I found certain aspects of it beneficial, like the section on diaphramatic breathing and on how time is something people with social anxiety often neglect, but I found it not to be nearly as comprehensive or helpful as Dr. Richards program. I did come upon after having worked with Dr. Richards material, so that's why I may have found some the additional techniques useful.

Treatment Experience

There are a lot of "overcome social anxiety" programs out on the internet. This is not just another person trying to make a buck.

Dr. Richards has been working with people with social anxiety in cognitive-behavioral therapy groups since 1994. This is the same therapy he uses in those groups, but available to you in a very thick book and on 20 CDs or tapes.

Personally, I came upon this program right after a real low point in terms of my social anxiety. I moved to San Francisco and started doing this therapy on my own. I found out through the Dr. Richard's Social Anxiety Institute mailing list that a group based on his therapy was starting up in San Francisco. As anxious as I was about it, I decided nothing was going to change unless I pursued treatment, so I signed up for the group and go in touch with Valdeck the group leader.

Working through this therapy, I came to understand how pervasive social anxiety is, how it really can affect every aspect of your life. This was pretty profound, considering that just earlier that year I didn't know to label what I had as social anxiety disorder.

But as Dr. Richards talks about in therapy, just knowing what you have and talking about why you have it, is not enough to help. Taking action, in the right way, is what brings about change.

In terms of the therapy itself, it covers EVERY facet of social anxiety.

Through working with this therapy and participating in the group I came to do things I never thought I would do (dance at clubs, take improv lessons, join toastmasters, go on dates, lose my virginity, go shirtless at a beach, develop healthy friendships and relationships, etc.) and my anxiety mostly dissolved for what had made me very anxious in the past (making phone calls, answering phone calls, going shopping for clothing, just leaving my apartment, etc.)

He even addresses the very real aspect of relapse, with specific therapy that focuses on "setbacks", something I found to come regularly throughout my treatment.

This therapy really sets the right attitude and gives you techniques to feel capable to get out in the world and expose yourself, little by little, to that which you fear. Again, I want to emphasize that the steps you make are very small and it takes time, but the change that comes is real.

The ultimate goal that can be achieved through this therapy is being able to live and enjoy the life you value.

Medication can certainly be an beneficial option for some people with social anxiety, but I think the CBT found in Dr. Richards' program will benefit anyone with social anxiety who is willing to put in the effort to work on the therapy and little by little expose themselves to what makes them anxious.
post #5 of 329 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 10:08 PM
In my "safe place"...

I also purchased Dr. Richards' audio series. It is a program that one needs to work every day, if possible, and Dr. Richards emphasizes repetition, repetition, which IS essential. I do believe that this self-administered CBT therapy is a very good treatment plan.

Because of frequent, severe bouts of depression (resistant to treatment for years), I have been unable to use the program at all in the way that one needs to. I would like to advise that if a person interested in purchasing the program has severe, untreatable depression, s/he probably should reconsider that form of therapy.

When at home alone I sit
And grow very tired of it
I have just to close my eyes
To go sailing through the skies.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by TeaRowz; 05-05-2010 at 10:08 PM. Reason: grammatical error
post #6 of 329 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 11:55 AM
SAS Member

This is very interesting thanks for the link and the info. I'm going to be sure to check this out. Maybe it's the answer..
post #7 of 329 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 11:41 AM
SAS Member

Two thumbs up

Don't feed the trolls.
post #8 of 329 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Nothing is stopping me

Ive been doing therapy but just today I started taking zoloft.. do you think the 2 combined will help more?
post #9 of 329 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 08:30 AM
Staying in the Positive!

I just ordered STEP BY STEP!

I FEEL PRETTY CONFIDENT THAT I CAN DO IT! (Nothing but positive thinking going into it!) I feel it is so worth the try right?

CAN'T WAIT TO START IT!

THANX FOR THE LINK!

XX Dawn

STORMS ALWAYS LOSE TO THE SUN ...

Nora Copeland
post #10 of 329 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 10:44 AM
SAS Member

Just ordered this. It should be noted that they have dropped the price, I do not know if this is permanent or not.

I am excited and cannot wait to start!
post #11 of 329 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 12:02 AM
SAS Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaRowz View Post
I also purchased Dr. Richards' audio series. It is a program that one needs to work every day, if possible, and Dr. Richards emphasizes repetition, repetition, which IS essential. I do believe that this self-administered CBT therapy is a very good treatment plan.

Because of frequent, severe bouts of depression (resistant to treatment for years), I have been unable to use the program at all in the way that one needs to. I would like to advise that if a person interested in purchasing the program has severe, untreatable depression, s/he probably should reconsider that form of therapy.

This is a good review and a very good program. Dr. Richards Audio Series was the basis for my recovery during the last 3 years.

I visited Phoenix for this CCBT group. The atmosphere is laid back and well organized.

My only complaint about Dr. Richards program was that there wasn't enough grouping of ideas(perhaps in order of significance, habits, or prerequisite thinking).

Thumbs Up!
post #12 of 329 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 06:15 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
I highly recomend this, im learning to overcome these "ants" youll soon realize what they are, and I have high hopes and Its started working a lil bit after a few weeks, make sure to be persistant, even when your lazy, you must practive everyday if you wanna overcome this.
post #13 of 329 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 12:37 AM
SAS Member

So any genuine reviews?
post #14 of 329 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 12:51 AM
User Requested Permanent Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive View Post
So any genuine reviews?
How are our reviews not geuine?
post #15 of 329 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 12:55 AM
is getting over herself

the point that Dr. Richards emphasizes in the program is true - you must persist with the treatment, even when you feel like giving up. YOu have to be willing to put in the hard work.

Live Cage Free!!!! or, at least be wild caught.
SnowFlakesFire:

You can rebuild your self-esteem. Rebuild it into a way that others cannot destroy it anymore.
post #16 of 329 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 07:04 PM
SAS Member

Okay, update, two months into this program, and holy ****, I have tried overcoming social anxiety, didnt go so well, I also tried, Overcoming anxiety book, still ****. two months of Dr richards has done more then those two ****ty books combined. This series is amazying. I dunno what to say, but to be persistant, dont be so negtive, and stop those mother****ing ants. I killed many of them, theres still a few to go. HIGHLY recomend, this treatment is guarteed overcoming social anxiety if your persistance. Dont do ****ty thinkrightnow programs, do this. Itll change the way you think permanatly and in a good way. You will then be prone to any anxiety, and you will be free. AGAIN, 10/10, two thumbs up, absoulutley perfect guide step by step. AND BE PATEINT!
post #17 of 329 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 07:06 PM
SAS Member

and many people overcame social anxiety with his series, many, 99 percent that do his work, and are persisstance and practive every day overcome social anxiety. you need this.
post #18 of 329 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 11:07 PM
SAS Member

$260. I think I'll pass. Though it does look like a good program.
post #19 of 329 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 01:36 AM
SAS Member

If I could, I would share it with everyone here for free, but I know Dr. Richards would shoot me if I did.

This is a very good program, albeit LONG and sort of boring, but is it worth $260?!
IMO, $260 is a small fee for how much it could improve your life, for the rest of your life.

In the above posts, they said repeating the handouts over and over is the determining factor to the success of this program and that's the truth!--I would compare it to studying for a test, except with no written test, hehe.

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get people interested in you."

-Dale Carnegie

"Nothing changes when nothing changes."

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
post #20 of 329 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 01:42 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartridel View Post
$260. I think I'll pass. Though it does look like a good program.
There is a CCBT group therapy thing in Pasadena, CA. I've been to his office, but at the time I wasn't really "ready", I guess. He also uses Dr. Richards Audio Series for his groups.

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get people interested in you."

-Dale Carnegie

"Nothing changes when nothing changes."

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page