Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Treatment Reviews > Supplements

Like Tree1 Liked Posts

Old 02-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Yerba Maté

A tea-like drink made from a shrub native to South America. Has caffeine and other xanthines, though less than in tea or coffee. Also contains potassium, magnesium and manganese.

May also function as an MAO inhibitor, which may contribute to its reported calming effects.

More Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_maté

Rate this treatment:
Click the "Rate Thread" link to the upper right of this post (login required).

Review this treatment:
Click the "Post Reply" button to the upper left of this post (login required).

Helena_SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default best

Found most benefit from this herb when small amt taken raw several times a day. Then again, I was eating mainly raw so it didn't take much to absorb. Very awesome effect... very good
sas2012solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

This stuff is great.

It's a tea though... I steep it and drink through a bombilla (a filtered straw).

Much better than coffee as a stimulant, IMHO. And you can drink it multiple times per day.

Also helps with anxiety and appetite suppression!
Old 11-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yerba Mate is a great for studying. Not as much anxiety jitters like with coffee. More of a clean buzz. Nice focused, slightly energized feeling, but not too agitated.

Great, but not really a SA medication

War is declared on SA.
Kusjmamire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

They should rename it.. Instant good mood.

One warning though: It has been linked to cancer of the esophagus (don't drink it hot)..

One related article: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/yerba-mate/AN01774
PeaceWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

My guess is the cancer link has more to do with the way people drink it than the beverage itself. First of all, if you're drinking any hot drink, waiting until it cools a bit is just common sense. And drinking a hot beverage through a straw is just stupid. If you have ever slurped anything hot through a straw, you know it burns you much easier.

Anyway, I make it in a french press, let it cool until it's just warm and drink it. I bought this press at Wal Mart for $12. Originally, I didn't even use it. I just wanted to try it for a few cups of coffee. I started using it for mate when I realized it was just practical. It's a cheap one though and has rusted quite a bit. I recommend you buy a good one in the first place if you're going to use this method.

I noticed the effect far more when I first started drinking it than I do drinking it on a daily basis. But I think there's probably a lot to be said for drinking it in relatively small quantities. I've drunk as much as 25 ounces at a time and did not notice any proportional boost in the good effects while I did notice an awful unpleasant head buzz. Not to mention the effects from the tannins. They're not nearly as strong as in black tea but it does have some and they will upset your stomach if you're sensitive to them.

I recommend looking for a brand that doesn't have too much dust to start out with and see how you do. I'm drinking Rosamonte at the moment but don't really care for the dust. Guayaki is widely available where I live but it's too expensive (IMO) to drink daily.

Anyway, the effects are subtle but if you drink it for a while and then suddenly stop, you will notice that you feel down and it will pick you back up when you have some again. The only thing is you might have to order it if you want to choose your brand. There are only one or two brands I know of that are available to buy here locally. A pity. This stuff is good enough that America should be more aware of it.
PickleNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Last couple of days, I mixed some sencha in with my yerba mate and made about 25 ounces (to be consumed within about half an hour). The green tea adds something really nice to the normal mate buzz.

I wouldn't use expensive sencha for this ordinarily. It's just all I had. Probably any halfway decent green tea would do. To enhance the flavor, I use peppermint leaves. Mate and peppermint really do compliment one another perfectly. I can see why they use it.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Che Guevara drank a ton of the stuff.
squidlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceWish View Post
One warning though: It has been linked to cancer of the esophagus (don't drink it hot)..
Hot black tea has been, also.
carambola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

i love this drink..i must find it and drink before my job interview tomorrow.
softshock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlette View Post
Che Guevara drank a ton of the stuff.
I guess that proves drinking a ton of yerba mate doesn't make you any smarter.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:12 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by softshock11 View Post
i love this drink..i must find it and drink before my job interview tomorrow.
Mix some chamomile tea with it. It's a really nice calm. You won't be nervous and you won't be tired.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

So I totally had some today, after I let it cool down considerably.. Yerba Mate for Finals week.. Way better than a coffee buzz, plus a bonus (Mental Clarity).. It has a very nice effect if you don't drink it very often.
PeaceWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickleNose View Post
I guess that proves drinking a ton of yerba mate doesn't make you any smarter.
I think he was pretty smart. That whole medical school thing and all. Definitely didn't make him very cautious, though, if that's what you were getting at. :-P
squidlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

Mmm, Yerba mate. Love my tea!
Tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Is it normal for it to taste soapy?
Old 04-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

Where can I buy this stuff? There is no Whole Foods where I live for some reason.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneQuietGuy View Post
Where can I buy this stuff? There is no Whole Foods where I live for some reason.
I ordered some from amazon.com.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsantibanez View Post
I just got back from a trip to Chile and Argentina. In Argentina they drink mate religiously. Everyone walks around with one gourd and a thermos with hot water. They drink this stuff all day and share it with everyone. You see people just chilling in the parks all evening (when the heat is finally bareable) and every single person is seeing drinking this. Its not only the health benefits, but its a culture and its sort of magical
Make sure you know how to prepare it properly because its very easy to burn the mate and ruin it...
I just use a french press. The gourd thing I've never tried. Maybe I will someday but for the time being, this works.

By the way, so far, I have tried Taragui, Rosamonte regular and Rosamonte seleccion especial. Of the three, the latter is by far my favorite. Taragui isn't too bad if it comes cheap but it seems a little harsh and gets very bitter very easily. I have been through six bags of rosamonte and it never really seems to get that bitter even if I forget and oversteep.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #20 (permalink)

I bought a Mr Coffee the other day (I have 8 bags of Yerba I've been putting off drinking because the french press is a pain in the butt to clean).

The drip coffee maker is by far the best way I've found to make this stuff. It filters out that horrible grit and the yerba is MUCH smoother. I've been drinking this stuff nonstop ever since I got the coffee maker. If you have some Mate, try it. You'll see all other methods are just needless hassle. The best part is you can get a cheap coffee maker anywhere.