Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Treatment Reviews > Supplements

Like Tree24 Liked Posts

Old 02-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Phenibut

Beta-phenyl-gamma-aminobutyric acid, better known as Phenibut or less commonly Fenibut or Phenybut, is natural derivative of the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA (Gamma amino butyric acid). Sold as a dietary supplement in the US while in Russia sold as a neuropsychotropic drug that is capable of passing the blood-brain barrier. Phenibut is cited as a nootropic for its ability to improve neurological functions. It was discovered in Russia in the 1960's, and has since been used there to treat a wide range of ailments including anxiety and insomnia.

The name Phenibut, along with many of the other names for the compound, comes directly from the chemical name for the compound, beta-phenyl-gamma-aminobutyric acid.

More Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenibut
Ambivert likes this.

Rate this treatment:
Click the "Rate Thread" link to the upper right of this post (login required).

Review this treatment:
Click the "Post Reply" button to the upper left of this post (login required).

Helena_SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Good

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by Micliph
Social Anxiety Background
severe/extreme social anxiety 2 years.

Other Treatments
CBT, Citalopram

Treatment Experience
Hi.

I'm danish so excuse my spelling and grammar.

I have tried Phenibut many times, and for me it helps me a lot! If I take 500mg it only helps me a little but when I 1g of phenibut it helps me A lot, and i mean A LOT. but ive heard that it could be addictive in the long term and thats why i only take it when i have to go out and do something (i stay at home a lot) then i take 1g and go shopping, go to doctor(talk about SAD), go visit friends and a lot more.

feel good,

kindly regards Mike.
birdofhermes and Peregrínus like this.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Very effective.

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by Scotso
Other Treatments
L-theanine, melatonin, valerian root.

Treatment Experience
Phenibut works extremely well, especially to help me sleep. I find it far more effective than benzos, with the only downside being the cost and some mild stomach irritation with high doses (that can be controlled with ginger root supplements, in my experience).

I think this is probably the most effective OTC product I've ever used with treating anxiety and insomnia, and possibly the best treatment period.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
MBL

Default Phenibut

I've heard a lot about phenibut.

I cannot find it for sale! I hear it's not sold as a supplement in Canada, but is legal as a research chemical.

If anybody has a Canadian source, PLEASE EMAIL/MESSAGE ME!!!

I used to use GBL a lot and this sounds like a milder and more long acting version of that.

I'd only use it twice a week due to it addictive properties.

Anybody have info on it, how to get it or want to discuss it, please contact me.

-MBL
MBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

can somebody post a reliable brand? Im thinkin of trying relax all
dlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
MBL

Relax All has a lot of crap in it.
JerrydeGreat likes this.

HALIFAX, Nova Scotia (Canada)
MBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlange View Post
can somebody post a reliable brand? Im thinkin of trying relax all
PrimaForce is what I would consider the gold standard. Tried different brands; this one is consistent. I had to send one back because it wasn't even phenibut. That brand is Higher Power.
rossija86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

I tried Phenebut in the brand called "Giant" stuff made me feel really horrible and didnt do anything for SA..but Im gonna try it from Primaforce and somewhere else before I give up on it..also Im on my third day of Relax all...I havent really noticed anything different as far as SA but it sure works for sleep...its just that trying all this stuff costs money
rrhxiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ok I have never posted on this site before because I am always just in the background trying to find something that will work for SA, I took Phenibut xt and wow it helped me soooo much today. as you all know it is thanksgiving and all of us with SA know this is a day that will really flair up the anxiety lol (am I wrong?) anyways I usually am ready to just get the day over with and get back home, I usually only stay about an hour to an hour and a half, but today I stayed till everyone left! now I know the tolerence builds quickly with this stuff, but i am only going to take it when I need it like today. I pray that this stuff will help everyone else as much as it did for me today because I feel for anyone that is suffering from SA because it is horrible! I had to write this review in hopes that maybe someone who reads it will try it and help them too as much as it did me. I pray that they will find a easy way out of SA for everyone someday soon, because I know how you all feel.
Strawberry fields likes this.
smoke6861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Phenibut is nice.. I've only taken it a handful of times when I've needed it most, and it gives me a nice, slightly drunk feeling that helps in stressful situations. I've never taken more than 1g. I took it with adderall once, and later that night had the equivalent of one beer, and ended up throwing up uncontrollably for two days straight. Oy.
pudderkiz likes this.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attica! Attica! View Post
Phenibut is nice.. I've only taken it a handful of times when I've needed it most, and it gives me a nice, slightly drunk feeling that helps in stressful situations. I've never taken more than 1g. I took it with adderall once, and later that night had the equivalent of one beer, and ended up throwing up uncontrollably for two days straight. Oy.
I have never taken it with adderall, but I did take 4 pills which was equal to 2g, my stomach was a little woozy but the pros way out weighed the cons for me anyways.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rbk

I've read many times various opinions that Phenibut works well for social anxiety, but why can't I find any scientific opinion, which will confirmed that?

It is strange that supplement which is working so well on SA wasn't researched by anyone.

Or mayby it's not so good as some people are saying?
tyleote likes this.
Rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbk View Post
I've read many times various opinions that Phenibut works well for social anxiety, but why can't I find any scientific opinion, which will confirmed that?

It is strange that supplement which is working so well on SA wasn't researched by anyone.

Or mayby it's not so good as some people are saying?
Well as with any supplement taken, many may recieve positive effects from using them and some may not, I just sure hope that this stuff will work for anyone wanting to relive SA Im praying that some day I can beat SA myself and spread on the "magic" treatment to everyone on this forum
Old 11-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

Phenibut is one of the biggest joke's out of history, goes straight in line with PEA and jenkem
ChipperCheek likes this.

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Anyone is free to PM me questions or ask my MSN adress.
crayzyMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke6861 View Post
I have never taken it with adderall, but I did take 4 pills which was equal to 2g, my stomach was a little woozy but the pros way out weighed the cons for me anyways.
maybe I'll try that instead, 2g instead of 1g. Or just not drink the tiniest amount of alcohol.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #16 (permalink)
Rbk

I'm asking about Your personal experiences. Do You people think that Phenibut can be compared to real anxiolytics like benzos or it is just a placebo like lteanine or valerian?

Because if it's a placebo then it's expensive placebo and I don't want to loose about 25 euros for it ;P
Old 11-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #17 (permalink)

Personally, 1g of phenibut is comparable to the benzo ativan to me; I can definitely notice the effect, unlike most supplements I've tried. Other people may react differently or need a higher dose than 1g. This is based entirely on my experience, no science at all, heh. It is not nearly a cure for SA though. It does well to relieve some stress and anxiety, but does not make me much more comfortable talking to people. It was almost a cure with adderall though, til I started puking..
lr4y likes this.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attica! Attica!
Personally, 1g of phenibut is comparable to the benzo ativan to me
So it looks nice
Old 11-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

Rbk:

I'm not sure why you can't find scientific confirmation of the pharmachologic effects. The wikipedia link above provides some reasonable references that are easily accessible (at least here in the US, maybe in Poland it's different). There are something like 300 scientific publications (although most in Russian) evaluating its effects.

If it's personal experience you are looking for, I can tell you that I've been using it for the last month and can personally attest to it's beneficial effects for SA. I'm using Primaforce brand powder. Because of horror stories I'd read on other sites about how addictive it is and how bad the withdrawl could be, I started with 300 mg doses taken a few days apart. It's anxiolytic effect even at this dose was dramatic and lasted an entire work day, and I experienced no hangover after it washed out of my system.

I've since increased my dosage to up to 1g a day. I'm still being careful to take a break from it every second or third day, but I haven't had any of the rebound effects coming off of it that I've heard described elsewhere. My SA comes back after the phenibut's effect wears off, but it's no worse than it was before I started taking it.

As someone mentioned above, and as with any drug (and this is clearly a drug--not a "supplement," whatever that is), YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY. I certainly suggest caution to anybody who tries this. It's chemical properties are close enough to benzo's that you don't want to mix it with alcohol or anything else that messes around with your gabanergic system, and you probably don't want to be depending on it on a daily basis. It's had amazing effects for me, but if that changes, I'll be the first to come back here and tell you how much of nightmare drug it is.
ThatLittleRedFox likes this.
Elstongunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elstongun
I'm not sure why you can't find scientific confirmation of the pharmachologic effects. The wikipedia link above provides some reasonable references that are easily accessible (at least here in the US, maybe in Poland it's different). There are something like 300 scientific publications (although most in Russian) evaluating its effects.
We have very bad opinion in Poland about everything which is Russian ;D So I was looking for researches made by western scientists about phenibut.

http://img20.allegroimg.pl/photos/or.../63/1338506350

Does anyone knows that brand?