Omega 3 Fish Oil - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 312 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Community and Website Administrator

My Mood: Fine
Omega 3 Fish Oil

Omega 3 found in fish oil is thought to support good mood. It can be taken in liquid or capsule form (generally large, but you can find some smaller size capsules out there).

More Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-3_fatty_acid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 312 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

It seems to help a bit

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by LostPancake
Social Anxiety Background
SA since 13yo, did CBT at 21, almost cured, but SA crept back over the years, started paxil 10 years ago, now doing psychodynamic and group therapy.

Other Treatments
Also on Paxil (paroxetine) 30mg/day for anxiety/depression.

Treatment Experience
This might be a pretty subtle effect, and it's hard to tell if the suplement is what's causing it, but I think that when I take it, I feel a bit calmer and more positive, my brain doesn't feel quite so jagged and negative.

I've taken it on and off over the years, and I think I do feel better when I take it. It makes sense, as it's an important component of the brain and nervous system, which we don't get very much of in modern diets.

But I don't think by itself it would do too much - it's maybe a small boost for me, like 3-5%?
post #3 of 312 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Fine to control trigyclerides...

Posted by UltraShy
Treatment Experience
but after over 3 months of taking Omega 3 fish oil capsules three times daily I can assure everyone that they have no effect on mood or anxiety, not that I expected them to.

Taking this to improve your mental health would be like taking Xanax to reduce cholesterol.

post #4 of 312 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 02:03 AM
SAS Member

I have been taking Omega 3 in the form of fish oil and Flaxseed oil on and off for about a year now. Besides from being good for the skin, the psychological effects are definately noticable. After taking it I feel my thoughts are clearer and I am much more articulate and efficient in speaking. In regards to mood it seems to allow me to control my thoughts slightly better, so in any state I can 'hear' what I'm thinking as though it is louder, but that's not always a good thing.

So it's good for speaking and thinking, but for mood It's mild if any effect at all.
post #5 of 312 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 02:51 AM
Surrounded by Sadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post

Posted by UltraShy
Treatment Experience
but after over 3 months of taking Omega 3 fish oil capsules three times daily I can assure everyone that they have no effect on mood or anxiety, not that I expected them to.

Taking this to improve your mental health would be like taking Xanax to reduce cholesterol.
Update: UltraShy has now been taking Omega 3 fish oil capsules daily for over a year now and still holds the same view that they do zip for mental issues.

DEA agents, being on par with Nazi war criminals, should be executed for crimes against humanity. They are guilty of inflicting mass suffering upon legitimate patients.
post #6 of 312 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 04:52 AM
SAS Member

I take Omega 3 but not for anxiety or depression, I take it for the health benefits, its supposed to be good for your heart and skin. I also add garlic and onions to my food a good bit, its also supposed to be good for you but I like the taste.
post #7 of 312 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 05:25 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy View Post
Update: UltraShy has now been taking Omega 3 fish oil capsules daily for over a year now and still holds the same view that they do zip for mental issues.
This.
post #8 of 312 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Coping

My Mood: Crappy

When I was a kid I took this Omega 3 fish oil every morning, and I can't say it did anything for me in in SA or depression. I do take it now but not every day.
post #9 of 312 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Quirked

I've been taking for four years, it's made no difference for me. I keep taking it in hopes that one day the positive effects will "kick in".

In my defense, I'm simply a product of my environment.
post #10 of 312 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 03:16 PM
SAS Member

I've heard B vitamins and amino acids like l-tryptophan also help because they provide the building blocks for neurotransmitters in the brain that regulate mood.
post #11 of 312 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 03:35 PM
subtastic

They're good for you, but I've not had a single customer come into my work and cry out, "THOSE FISH CAPSULES YOU SOLD ME REALLY WORKED!"
post #12 of 312 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 04:00 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban

I've taken then for a period of time..I stopped, the smell set me off.
post #13 of 312 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 04:40 PM
SAS Member

I've heard krill oil is a better sources of omega 3 than fish oil
post #14 of 312 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Permanently Banned

I take it almost everyday , I feel more awake and balanced than when i do not take it . Our mood depends pretty much on what we ingest the rest is psychological ..
post #15 of 312 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 05:57 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyman View Post
I've heard krill oil is a better sources of omega 3 than fish oil

I have heard that as well..I am gonna have to look into it. I take the omega 3 fish oil and i like it alot. I have been working out and losing weight and i feel it helps me with the losing weight..
post #16 of 312 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 06:37 PM
SAS Member

Just rebought my triple omega(3-6-9) capsules. A doctor on tv(yesterday's Today show) said the only vitamins/supplements that may be worth taking are Vitamin D and omega 3.

Plus, I've also heard that omega 3 may have a beneficial effect on our moods, but as others here have mentioned, I haven't felt a big difference in that aspect. Yet, I will continue taking them for my general health.

"Man's unique agony as a species consists in his perpetual conflict between the desire to stand out and the need to blend in." -Sydney Harris
post #17 of 312 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 08:15 PM
sa challenger

I've taken fish oil for a week, and haven't noticed any difference in mood. I am going to keep taking it because it may help prevent heart disease.

"Don't worry. You're just as sane as I am."
post #18 of 312 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 12:03 AM
Team Bob #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pita View Post
They're good for you, but I've not had a single customer come into my work and cry out, "THOSE FISH CAPSULES YOU SOLD ME REALLY WORKED!"
Lol! Can you imagine if someone did, though?
post #19 of 312 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 05:13 AM
User Requested Permanent Ban

I took regular capsules for about a week or so a year back. I agree with felix84 , the immediate effects for me was a clearer head and the ability to concentrate better and be more articulate. I was using standard omega 3 capsules although I was recommended by someone else who had anxiety trying the high concentration omax 3 .I may try those,I think I passed on them at the time because I thought they were too expensive.
post #20 of 312 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Almighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Paine View Post
I just saw a commercial for a concentrated version of fish oil that actually requires a prescription. It is meant to lower triglycerides.

It's called Lovaza
http://www.lovaza.com/
It seems to be just a highly concentrated fish oil so that you get a whole gram of omega 3 in one pill instead of three.

I've been taking fish pills for years. I just started taking flax pills too. If it has an effect on anxiety it is subtle. The long term benefits on mental and physical health seem to make them worth taking. You won't really get the benefit until you're 60 or so though - you will be les likely to have heart disease or get alzheimer's. Alzheimer's runs in my family.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page