Magnesium - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Community and Website Administrator

My Mood: Fine
Magnesium

Magnesium in treatment-resistant depression (TRD)

There has been some speculation that magnesium deficiency can lead to depression. Cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) magnesium has been found low in treatment-resistant suicidal depression and in patients that have attempted suicide. Brain magnesium has been found low in TRD using phosphorus nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, an accurate means for measuring brain magnesium. Blood and CSF magnesium do not appear well-correlated with major depression.[33] Magnesium chloride in relatively small doses was found to be as effective in the treatment of depressed elderly type 2 diabetics with hypomagnesemia as imipramine 50 mg daily.[34]

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesi...sion_.28TRD.29
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16542786
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19944540

Testing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 10:40 AM
dancing on my own

Well

Unfortunately, it didn't do anything for me as far as relaxation goes. There are different forms though so I haven't completely given up on it yet. I tried the magnesium citrate (powdered form) and it sent me to the bathroom and kept me regular but did nothing for relaxation. Actually, most forms of magnesium are known for doing that in high doses. Anyway, I've heard nothing but good things about magnesium taurate. It's a superior form because the taurine in it acts on the gaba receptors along with the magnesium (supposedly) relaxing your body. If after trying that, I see no success then I'll consider it a fail. By the way, magnesium oxide is the WORST form of magnesium to use. That's the one that you'll find in 99% of the stores. It's bioavailability is very low. Your body will only absorb 4% of the magnesium making it pretty much useless.

Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream.

Rarely is the question asked: is our children learning?

-The Great George W. Bush
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 01:28 PM
SAS Member

Magnesium Taurate worked for me, but currently I'm taking Doctor's Best chelated magnesium. Supposedly it has the highest absorption of them all and I haven't had any problems with stomach or from taking a lot. The only downside is that each pill is only 100MG of magnesium, so if you are really deficient you will have to take a lot to level it out. I've been taking magnesium in a few different forms for the past year and ended up settling on that one. It has done tons for me in terms of relieving muscle tension and relaxing muscles in combination with exercise.

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 02:06 PM
SAS Member

I've been taking Source Naturals Ultra-Mag from iherbs.com. It's a mixture of magnesium citrate, taurinate, malate, glycinate, and succinate. It's taken over a month for me to see a difference, but I think it helps my anxiety. It's also awesome for menstrual cramps.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 03:47 PM
dancing on my own

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanka View Post
Magnesium Taurate worked for me, but currently I'm taking Doctor's Best chelated magnesium. Supposedly it has the highest absorption of them all and I haven't had any problems with stomach or from taking a lot. The only downside is that each pill is only 100MG of magnesium, so if you are really deficient you will have to take a lot to level it out. I've been taking magnesium in a few different forms for the past year and ended up settling on that one. It has done tons for me in terms of relieving muscle tension and relaxing muscles in combination with exercise.
Which one worked for you the best as far as relaxing your body and relieving muscle tension? Were you able to take less of the magnesium taurate to get the same effect as the chelated magnesium?

post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 06:01 PM
SAS Member

I think I'm able to take more chelated than taurate without any issues, but they both worked. So really it just depends on what your goal is, they should both be effective.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 09:11 AM
dancing on my own

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanka View Post
I think I'm able to take more chelated than taurate without any issues, but they both worked. So really it just depends on what your goal is, they should both be effective.
Thanks I gotta order both online anyways so I guess I'll go with the cheapest one.

post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Struggler

I take 150mg of magnesium citrate everynight.. Seems to help me, but I don't really notice it straight away.. I just have less muscle tension during the day.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 02:08 AM
SAS Member

I was diagnosed with essential tremor in July this year, but I have suffered social anxiety most of my life. I couldnt take the recommended drugs and turned to magnesium as I had read a great deal of research in Australia and France had been done on using it for all sorts of nervous conditions and sleep disorders. I have tried various forms and some sent me to the bathroom... But I know you have to take a high enough dose so I persevered. I can take magnesium malate 5 times a day now and my nervous problems have almost disappeared. Not just that but I feel fantastic most of the time, even my hub says I am like a new woman.

It does take a lot of experimentation to find the right magnesium at the right dose for you. But this is the closest I have ever got to finding a miracle cure. I want to tell the world of people like us to give it a go. I have never felt better and because my general anxiety has dissipated I dont feel so inadequate in social settings, because I am relaxed and things just seem to be ok.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 08:26 PM
SAS Member

Full study links worth a look:

"Case histories are presented showing rapid recovery (less than 7 days) from major depression using 125–300 mg of magnesium (as glycinate and taurinate)
with each meal and at bedtime." http://www.george-eby-research.com/h...depression.pdf

This next one is really interesting (to me) because it states that magnesium modulates NMDA-receptor function. That's something that may catch your eye because low-dose Ketamine (which works so consistently to relieve depression) supposedly works the same way. And in fact the paper states that Ketamine acts "in place of" magnesium. http://george-eby-research.com/html/...depression.pdf

From there, if you're inclined to try magnesium supplementation, the difficulty is figuring out which form to buy. If you search around enough about elemental magnesium, and bioavailability, and you're human, then I think you'll wind up thoroughly confused (as I am).

Oxide is supposedly the best bang-for-your-buck despite low bioavailabilty, but then you'll read something like "Oral magnesium oxide treatment was ineffective and promoted diarrhea." That's from the second study I linked to (which, for what it's worth, mostly endorses magnesium glycinate, and recommends you stay the hell away from magnesium glutamate and magnesium aspartate).

I have to say magnesium oxide has been a lifesaver for me in tolerating any calcium, but I still freak out if I take any vitamin D or too much calcium. So I'm in the process of trying other magnesium versions (more oxide hasn't panned out).
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Fun...Fluid...Formidable

My Mood: Breezy
Big help for me. I also take a Cal/mag/zinc supplement with an additional magnesium tablet. Very effective. But you also have to consider what else (crap) you're putting in your body.

Anxiety-free since a quarter a' three...
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 04:09 AM
GrandCustodian of Synosis

Of all the supplements being discussed, this one is one of the more important ones. although it is very weak against depression. Magnesium is a limited NMDA antagonist, along with zinc.

TIP: One can swallow unscented epsom salt USP, one teaspoon per day, if they have a hard budget for supplements. a pound of Epsom satl UPS is a few dollars. There is instructions on the container on how much to take internally as a laxative. Less than this amount acts as a poor-man's magnesium supplement.
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 08:39 AM
SAS Member

I would buy Omica Organics SuperIonic™ Fulvic Minerals. Magnesium chloride is one of the largest components of this product. And all minerals are important for health.
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 11:42 AM
SAS Member

Anyone encountered a situation where although initially helpful, magnesium supplementation increased anxiety, rather than decreased it? Cause I experienced that. I had some bloodtests done and whilst my magnesium levels were within normal range (0.8mg/L), my ferritin levels (iron) were very low (13ng/ML) - I somehow associated that magnesium backfires in cases of people with low ferritin levels, because magnesium would impede the absorption of iron, which is essential for the functioning of the heart.
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 05:43 AM
SAS Member

Is Magnesium a good long term supplement for boosting baseline dopamine levels?

"She dreamt she was a bulldozer, she dreamt she was alone in an empty field"
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 04:16 AM
SAS Member

I would worry less about magnesium and more about minerals in general. The following is a good introduction to minerals: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3BB...it?usp=sharing
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 03:25 PM
SAS Member

I just upped my dosage of magnesium citrate to 600mg/day in the last month, and have definitely noticed a difference. I also, somehow, don't crave alcohol much anymore (a big deal for me). Except for the past few days, where I stopped the magnesium and the cravings came back. And bad things happened. Sp, I found that interesting.

Anyway, magnesium seems to help a bit with my anxiety when I take it consistently. So I'm thinking I'll continue it at this dosage for now. I would try a different kind but I fear it might be more expensive....
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 02:51 PM
SAS Member

took magnesium

I'm a chronic insomniac for about 16 years. Today I took 1500 milligrams of magnesium, 500 milligrams of gaba, and 1000 milligrams of taurine. I slept for a good six and half hours. I'm so thrilled. I know this sleep will continue.

I'm still taking 1.5 of klonopin but I used to take 3 milligrams. So there is progress there.

Let's get healthy!
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 07:29 AM
SAS Member

I started taking Nature's Bounty high potency Magnesium 500mg once every 12 hours when I was going thru Tramadol withdrawals. When I quit Tramadol I had very bad restless legs, and my head felt like it was 100 lbs and filled with water, and I had brain zaps. The magnesium made these symptoms either go away or take most of the aggitation away. I am done with the withdrawals, but I still take the magnesium daily bc I've always been a light sleeper and this helps me stay calm.
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 08:00 PM
SAS Member

Magnesium is an extremely effective tool in combating anxiety. I personally use Magnesium Citrate. It has various mechanisms of action, but one of them is actually to reduce the electrical potential of neurons. This is basically what gaba and benzodiazpenes do.

As far as dosage goes, when taking the full RDA of magnesium, I find myself feeling extremely bored, and sometimes some strange side effects accompany that. I usually only take 1/3rd of the RDA of magnesium from supplements, sometimes 1/2.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page