Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Treatment Reviews > Supplements

Like Tree4 Liked Posts

Old 02-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default L-Tyrosine

Tyrosine is an amino acid that has been found to be useful during conditions of stress, cold, fatigue, but has not been found to have any significant effect on mood, cognitive or physical performance in normal circumstances.

More Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrosine

Rate this treatment:
Click the "Rate Thread" link to the upper right of this post (login required).

Review this treatment:
Click the "Post Reply" button to the upper left of this post (login required).

Helena_SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Increasing Dopamine

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by Beggiatoa
Treatment Experience
What has given me the best results in improving how I interact socially is increasing Dopamine levels in the brain. Research shows that D2 receptor activity is either impaired or low in patients with social phobia. This makes the use of dopamine precursors an important symptomatic treatment modality for this disorder.

I take1.5 grams of Tyrosine first thing in the morning upon waking and always on an empty stomach. Drinking some juice or any other carb. can also improve absorption.

On this treatment, I've noticed an increase in energy and motivation. My mood is more stable and I even break a smile here and there. I don't experience anticipatory anxiety prior to a social situation and my behavior around people seems more fluent and natural.

On days where I forget to take it, just leaving my house gives me terrible anxiety. My eyes tear up and I feel this overwhelming tension concentrated in my face and head.

I have also obtained similar, although inconsistent results with cholinergic supplements like CDP-choline and Lecithin. However, using Tyrosine everyday does not seem to produce tolerance and its effect does not decrease over time.

I highly recommend it!
hoddesdon likes this.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default helps me

Posted by njwood60
Social Anxiety Background
Severe general anxiety disorder and social anxiety. All my life. Also mild autism spectrum disorder

Other Treatments
Psychiatric treatment for the past 2 and a half years

Turmeric (just started - will report more later)

Tried one Mao inhibiter but it made me too nauseous

Treatment Experience
Hi

I take 1g of tyrosine on an empty stomach in the morning. I too believe that in my case the key to reducing my anxiety is increasing the dopamine levels

I found Tyrosine is the only thing that has had an effect on my social anxiety. It just seems to make things easier and allows me to mellow out more.

I was originally taking 1.5g, 1g in the morning and 500mg early evening. This worked even better for the anxiety, but had the effect of causing depression. The scientific reason for this would be that the tyrosine competes with l-tryptophan to get into the brain and the tyrosine wins. Hence you have less l-trytophan in the brain, so less serotonin so a tendency towards depression.

I may yet try 1,5g all in the morning to see if this works OK, but in the meantime I have started on an extract of Turmeric (called curcumin) which can boost both dopamine and serotonin. Only 2 days into it so will report back when I see what effect it has.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default way too speedy

Posted by alive
Became a loner since age twelve and quite honestly wouldnt change that even if I cured my social anxiety disorder..

Other Treatments
Lots of supplements and long distance running

Treatment Experience
I use tyrosine for periods of depression only.. I have found it to make me way too manic to relax in social situations.. I wouldn't recommend this amino acid to relax, but to keep it in reserve for depression only.. It works great for me, but could not use it daily because of its manic effect..
Old 03-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default i gave it a shot

Posted by Danny lightning
anxiety for about 12 years nothing seems to work for me..

Other Treatments
drugs that made me worse.. no more of that

Treatment Experience
did nothing for me at all
Old 11-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post

Posted by njwood60
Severe general anxiety disorder and social anxiety. All my life. Also mild autism spectrum disorder

Other Treatments
Psychiatric treatment for the past 2 and a half years

Turmeric (just started - will report more later)

Tried one Mao inhibiter but it made me too nauseous

Treatment Experience
Hi

I take 1g of tyrosine on an empty stomach in the morning. I too believe that in my case the key to reducing my anxiety is increasing the dopamine levels

I found Tyrosine is the only thing that has had an effect on my social anxiety. It just seems to make things easier and allows me to mellow out more.

I was originally taking 1.5g, 1g in the morning and 500mg early evening. This worked even better for the anxiety, but had the effect of causing depression. The scientific reason for this would be that the tyrosine competes with l-tryptophan to get into the brain and the tyrosine wins. Hence you have less l-trytophan in the brain, so less serotonin so a tendency towards depression.

I may yet try 1,5g all in the morning to see if this works OK, but in the meantime I have started on an extract of Turmeric (called curcumin) which can boost both dopamine and serotonin. Only 2 days into it so will report back when I see what effect it has.
any success with that Curcumin man?
rrhxiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

I just started taking 500 Mg of L Tyrosine from Source naturals 3 days ago..it has made an amazing difference...lifts my depression and more than helps the social anxiety..I might have found the key to freedom...I think I can be a little better though so Im gonna try something else along with it to even out a bit..I had also tried theanine serene but it didnt really do much for me
Old 12-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

ok...the L tyrosine seems to have tapered off after a few days...it still works for depression and Im thankful for that but its effects on SA have been marginalized..it was great the first couple of days though. I tried increasing dosage but it only made me tired and sleepy
Old 01-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrhxiv View Post
ok...the L tyrosine seems to have tapered off after a few days...it still works for depression and Im thankful for that but its effects on SA have been marginalized..it was great the first couple of days though. I tried increasing dosage but it only made me tired and sleepy
Unfortunately you can develop a tolerance to L-tyrosine.I just saw a study on Pubmed saying it was ineffective with adhd because all the subjects got tolerance after 2 weeks.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3300376
It really sucks when you think you've found something that finally works,then it fails.Been there many times.
There is another form of L-tyrosine out now(l-acetyl-tyrosine or something like that)that is suppose to be absorbed more efficiently, but tolerance may once again become a factor.
I found that L-tyrosine can be really effective when coming down from Adderall xr.(An amphetamine for adhd) It seems to really help with the depressive "blah"type of feeling that accompanies the comedown.Unfortunately I became tolerant to it (as well as the adderall!)sucks.
Cpt neurotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

I took 3 grams per day for a few weeks, I did not personally notice any subjective differences in my mood or anxiety.
jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt neurotic View Post
Unfortunately you can develop a tolerance to L-tyrosine.I just saw a study on Pubmed saying it was ineffective with adhd because all the subjects got tolerance after 2 weeks.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3300376
It really sucks when you think you've found something that finally works,then it fails.Been there many times.
There is another form of L-tyrosine out now(l-acetyl-tyrosine or something like that)that is suppose to be absorbed more efficiently, but tolerance may once again become a factor.
I found that L-tyrosine can be really effective when coming down from Adderall xr.(An amphetamine for adhd) It seems to really help with the depressive "blah"type of feeling that accompanies the comedown.Unfortunately I became tolerant to it (as well as the adderall!)sucks.

yea it just becomes frustrating knowing that youve tasted freedom and it does not last...Ive rotated through so many supplements and its amazing; all the ones that promise anxiety relief always make me sleepy and only L Tyrosine brought me in the direction I wanted. I thougth I would try DLPA but it doesnt seem to do much..I tried Mucuna pruriens and that doesnt do much either..but Ill keep trying and praying for answers.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

I take l-tyrosine and b vitams complex!! And an extra separate b1 thiamin as all the b vitamins are excellent at calming the nerves... Which is the main symptom of social anxiety... I also take cod liver oil for the brain.. Feel alot better!!! Vitamins are the key!! X
josie8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

the so-called tolerance happens for a reason. It's not so much that your body becomes conditioned and unresponsive. It's that your body uses up co-factors when one supplement is taken in large quantities. Co-factors = vitamins and minerals, and trace minerals! and essential fatty acids. And water! add exercise and good circulation and sufficient rest, and go completely off L-tyrosine for one weekend per month, and I think you'll see much less "tolerance". The body does not technically become tolerant to amino acids, which is what L-tyrosine is. There may be some truth to taking L-tryptophan together with it though and competition for the blood brain barrier. These should be taken separately in capsule form. But I take 5-HTP Time-Release (Natrol, GNC). It works great for me. It releases slowly over time and converts to serotonin. Then I take Norival (N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine W/Biopterin, Cardiovascular Research Ltd., Vitamin Shoppe) and it is 20 time more bioavailable than regular capsule form L-tyrosine.
Spungo likes this.
david0666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

4 caps of l-tyrosine whenever I feel groggy, and I just feel more awake and alert for a few hours. Will have to redose after that. Very useful stuff to have around, no negative side effects which is why I prefer it to caffeine.
adillonm15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

Im debating if I should take l-tyrosine or n-acetyl-l-tyrosine. Which is more effective?
latunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #16 (permalink)

This actually made my SA WORSE like maybe 10-20%. I think it's because it acts as more of a stimulant the way it affects dopamine and any sort of stimulant is bad news for me. I had a much better reaction to L-Theanine.

However for someone depressed this might just be quite helpful.
cured1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

Never taken it, but just a "fun fact". Jim Carrey took Prozac for years and said he discontinued use and started using L-Tyrosine and 5-HTP and has been on them every since. He said they work wonderfully.
MastaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

I liked phenylalanine more. I just felt tightness in chest from l-tyrosine. Sometimes it can give energy boost so not awful supplement if you feel tired.
coffeeaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:17 AM   #19 (permalink)

Stopped using this when I heard it can increase risk of malignant skin cancer!
Joerpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #20 (permalink)

Tyrosine is a major component the body utilizes in making thyroid hormone. If hypothyroidism is a concern, stick with it for at least 2 months. If hyperthyroidism is a concern, avoid it, you risk reactions similar to strong stimulants.
orsomething likes this.
Benofbens is offline   Reply With Quote