X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Treatment Reviews > Supplements

Old 02-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default L-Tryptophan

Tryptophan is an amino acid that is purported to help with conditions typically associated with low serotonin levels or activity in the brain.

More Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tryptophan

Rate this treatment:
Click the "Rate Thread" link to the upper right of this post (login required).

Review this treatment:
Click the "Post Reply" button to the upper left of this post (login required).

Helena_SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default The BEST IMO

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by FairleighCalm
Social Anxiety Background
I had anxiety and depression my whole life. But around the age of 35 I stopped sleeping and had scary obsessive thoughts. I thought I was going insane, had a serious mental illness, had cancer, had a heart attack, had a nutritional deficiency, just plain emotionally fubar, etc. I used Paxil for many years. I listened to Lucinda Bassett's tapes and for the first time thought I might get back to normal. I read every self help book ever written, well not everyone but lots. The breakthru moment was reading A NEW EARTH by Eckhart Tolle. For the first time I could control my thought life. Then I read Sacred Contracts by Caroline Myss and it changed my life. I realized that I was mimicking what others wanted me to mimick. My anxiety and depression was really a huge game YANK MY CHAIN. And I needed to disconnect the chain forgive those who were yanking it. The constant thought of "something's wrong", either internally or externally is a saboteur of our mental health. Deactivating my ego (non stop thoughts/judgment) was the biggie. Accepting the current moment, knowing everything is okay, internally and externally, allows me to be confident and within myself at the same time. I'm currently reading a book called KITCHEN TABLE WISDOM by Remen. V good.

Other Treatments
Paxil, many supplements, reading books on emotional health, some therapy as needed and getting out of the house.

Treatment Experience
I've taken a LOT of supplements over the last 10 years. Lots of prescripts also. Nothing has worked like L Tryptophan. Just natural and gentle, no side effects I noticed. I've gotten to the point of acceptance that I don't even need L Tryptophan anymore. I don't count out needing it in the future. I highly recommend trying it.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default L-Tryptophan better than Lexapro

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by clovereater
Suffered for about 15 years.

Other Treatments
In the past: Lexapro Xanax Loads of supplements.

Treatment Experience
Only started to work when I took doses of 2.5 grams or more. Think I have a problem absorbing amino's as I feel notihng on lower doses. Get a good quality brand like Jarrow or Viridian. Take with good quality multivitamin. Completely destroys anxiety/depression.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Works at first

"Shy" my whole life. Not so affected by social anxiety that I can't have a relationship, friends, or a full-time job. But very bothered and depressed by my lack of interest in getting to know coworkers and avoidance. Also horrified of public speaking and sometimes avoidant of speaking up in meetings.

Also problems with feeling very depressed some parts of the day, anger, paranoia and illogical jealousy in my relationship.

Other Treatments
Ativant and Inderal for meetings and public speaking situations. Works fine, but I was looking for something I could take all of the time to help my social anxiety.

Treatment Experience

I wanted to try L-Tryptophan because I was scared by the side effects of SSRIs.

I would take one 500mg pill every 2 hours for my morning and work day. It worked good for the first two weeks. It boosted my mood, took depression away and helped with social anxiety. It made me more comfortable saying what was on my mind if someone approached me. It did not give me courage to approach people and start conversations though.

I would say that it helped most with depression and anger. I didn't have the usual low points of the day I would feel normally. I also hadn't felt interested in hobbies for a few months but while taking this my interest came back and I felt more ambitious to do things I hadn't done in a while.

My menstrual period came at week 3 and L-Tryptophan was no match for the wrath of that. My anxiety, depression, and anger came back during that week and I realized that this wasn't working well enough for me and I started my SSRI.
Beretta is offline   Reply With Quote