L-Theanine - Page 7 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #121 of 137 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 04:10 PM
klaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarMan89 View Post
L-theanine has worked for me ever since I started taking it. I can notice the effects it has on my anxiety and my overall mood in general, but I don't take a low dosage as you do.

I usually take anywhere from 600-1200mg's. It just depends on the day and how much stress I'm under. I've also read that the effects can last from 8-12 hours. Of course over time some of the effects would diminish a little bit, so maybe it is still doing something positive in your brain and it's just so slight that it's not very noticeable, or maybe it's just that it only works for 4 hours period for you.
You take a minimum of 600 :surprise:
Guitar man, the max dosage at which u gonna notice a difference is at max250 grams. For the rest i would agree with u, the duration changes from 4 to 6 hours.

I would just recommend taking it 15-30 minutes before u want the effect. I currently use it to reduce anxiety in social enviroments and to enhance my cognitive abbilities. Ofcourse many people use it for other things like calmer sleep or just to stay calmer. The thing u got to know is that u have to adapt your dosage to your needs. For me this article explained it very simply:
http://theaninezone.com/dosage/

What ever u do, going over the 250 grams is just wasted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 137 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 09:32 PM
SAS Member

I find theanine in excess of 200mg has calming action for typical Beta2 adergenic effects - trembling, shaking without the drugged feeling of propranolol. But that's about it.
post #123 of 137 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 12:42 AM
SAS Member

For me l-theanine seemed to work quite well, to give an easy feeling which lasted throughout the day. However I took it at a time when I tried a bunch of other stuff, including the passiflora, avena sativa and st johns wort. Now I am taking lycine, arginine and magnesiusm as a base and passiflora or avena sativa throughout the day if needed. This has allowed me to be off ssris etc.(which I have been on for the past 15 years on or off) for a few months while going through the most challenging times at work with lots of people laid off.

Still I think l-theanine added a feeling which the rest does not bring. Therefore going to buy some today.
post #124 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 11:31 AM
SAS Member

Some for whom the theanine isn't working may not be aware that it should be taken on an empty stomach and to use the suntheanine not the d-theanine. More expensive but significant difference. All that being said, I started using it about a month/two months ago and have noticed a change in myself. Especially after switching to the suntheanine (I use the suntheanine with relora). I'm calmer in dealing with people, don't feel the need to jet all over the place as a reaction to things at work start to get crazy. Another thing is I think you also have to make a conscious decision to change how you react to situations. I don't know if this is another reaction to taking theanine - the thinking more clearly but it has worked for me. After that I started using melissa lemon balm. This you take with food. These two have really made a lot of different in my life and how I approach the world. I no longer feel the frantic thought racing typically associated with anxiety and stress. My other bad habits of always wanting to deal with stress by having that glass(es) of wine has stopped and so has the comfort eating. Again, I think part of it is making conscious changes but these supplements, at least for me, have really really helped support this.
post #125 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 07:37 PM
Spectacular Member

My Mood: Blah
At 250mg, I found it to be like a really, really weak benzo, noticable, but barely. Tolerance built up rather fast, under a month of daily use for me before it became just another sugar pill. I never tried any higher doses.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #126 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 03:15 PM
SAS Member

I have suntheanine, is it the same thing a l-theanine?
post #127 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 03:50 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cheeky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffles3000 View Post
I have suntheanine, is it the same thing a l-theanine?
Suntheanine > regular L-theanine.

I've compared Suntheanine and regular L-theanine on multiple occasions and they are most definitely NOT the same.

For me, a moderate dose of Suntheanine will act almost like a benzodiazepene without the terrible side effects.

Regular L-theanine will make me feel messed up and groggy.

Suntheanine is actually the best and most sustainable treatment for anxiety that I've ever found, and I've tried everything from ketamine to phenibut to racetams to benzodiazepenes to opiates. Suntheanine is simply the most sustainable of all of them.
post #128 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 04:00 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Pensive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha View Post

I've compared Suntheanine and regular L-theanine on multiple occasions and they are most definitely NOT the same.

For me, a moderate dose of Suntheanine will act almost like a benzodiazepene without the terrible side effects.

Suntheanine is actually the best and most sustainable treatment for anxiety that I've ever found, and I've tried everything from ketamine to phenibut to racetams to benzodiazepenes to opiates. Suntheanine is simply the most sustainable of all of them.
Wow, this is high praise. I'm skeptical only because I have never heard of it before and I have been interested in nootropics for SA for over a year now. Do you think that it happens to be especially effective to you? Or do you think it simply has not been discovered by a wide audience yet? Also is it really that much different than L-theanine?
post #129 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 12:27 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyoyoyo View Post
Wow, this is high praise. I'm skeptical only because I have never heard of it before and I have been interested in nootropics for SA for over a year now. Do you think that it happens to be especially effective to you? Or do you think it simply has not been discovered by a wide audience yet? Also is it really that much different than L-theanine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha View Post

I found this information while researching.

Study Reveals Difference Between Suntheanine® and Other Brands

Dr. Daniel Armstrong, a Caldwell Professor of Chemistry at Iowa State University, and his analysis team reviewed a number of commercially available brands that claimed to contain pure L-theanine. Results revealed that a number of brands contained ingredients other than L-theanine.

"We found all of those tested that are made through chemical synthesis or claiming to be extracted from green tea actually have about 50 per cent present as D-theanine," explains Dr. Armstrong, adding that "the only material that proved to be pure L-theanine was the Suntheanine® brand, produced via biofermentation, which had more than 99.95 per cent L-theanine, our current detection limit".

Suntheanine® is the patented form of L-theanine and the trademark of Taiyo International, the company that originally isolated the amino acid into an effective supplement for consumers.

And then this one

L-theanine Must be Pure for Proper Absorption, Study Finds
A new study finds that L-theanine must be administered in its pure form rather than as the mixture of D-theanine and L-theanine found in many nutritional supplements in order to be absorbed by the body.

Researchers from Iowa State University orally administered to rats pure L-theanine, pure D-theanine, and an ingredient commercially marketed as ?L-theanine? that actually was a racemic mixture (a 50:50 split between D- and L-theanine). They then measured blood concentrations, urinary excretion, and a marker of theanine metabolism in the blood.

The results show that the animals? bodies had a preference for pure L-theanine and that the pure form is better absorbed in the gut. The concentration of L-theanine seen in the blood was greater with the pure L-theanine than it was with the racemic mixture. There was also a trend toward greater urinary excretion of L-theanine when consumed as the racemic form.

The majority of clinical and animal studies determining the bioavailability of L-theanine have used Suntheanine, a form of pure L-theanine.

Simple HPLC analysis cannot discriminate between D- and L-theanine yet a number of companies are relying upon this method to assert that they have the pure L-isomer, declared Scott Smith, Vice President of Taiyo Kagaku, the manufacturer of Suntheanine in Minneapolis. The patented enzymatic synthesis method locks in the L-isomer and thus gives us pure L-theanine every batch. Suntheanine is an elegant example of where chemistry dictates biology.?
Reference:
Desai MJ, Gill MS, Hsu WH, Armstrong DW. Pharmacokinetics of theanine enantiomers in rats. Chirality. 2005 Mar;17(3):154-62

I have found some L theanines work well and others barely any effect. Now I guess I know why.

NorthernNevada
post #130 of 137 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 01:39 PM
SAS Member

It didn't do anything for me either.
post #131 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 10:16 AM
SAS Member

I would encourage anyone who doesn't notice effects to continue experimenting with L-Theanine. I personally never bothered with the capsules, I went straight for bulk powder to save money, I buy it from Liftmode, they've been extremely reliable for the 2+ years I've used them, never had an issue with potency.

So, the recommendation is to not take more 1200mg/day, but I've found that taking somewhere between 2000-3000mg/day works really well for my anxiety. I take ~800mg in the morning with coffee, ~800mg when I get home from work, and ~1200mg before bed. I've been doing this regimen for over two years and can say that it's given me my brain back.

In the morning, it helps reduce racing thoughts and worried about how the day may or may not go. It lasts through the morning and stops me from crashing from the coffee. I'm able to speak more easily and look people in the eye at work without feeling uncomfortable. There are a lot of loud children at my job, and it keeps me from becoming overstimulated. I also have to type a lot of notes for my job and with L-Theanine I can really focus and hammer through them much faster.

When I take the second dose in the afternoon, it just helps me let go of the day and focus on being home and really engaging with my spouse, have fun conversations, cook, clean, grocery shop, etc. I don't hang on to stressful things from earlier in the day. It's kind of like a mental lubricant.

At night, nothing helps me fall asleep like L-Theanine. I take it, I lay down within 20 minutes afterward, and I just drift away into sleep. No more wandering mind, no more anxious thoughts, I don't think "Oh no, I forgot X and Y and Z today!" I just fall asleep in about 5 minutes where it used to be 30 minutes to an hour of tossing and turning. I really suggest you keep experimenting with it, I believe it will help you.

TL;DR
- My favorite supplement for anxiety
- Keep trying L-Theanine if it hasn't worked yet, buy bulk powder
- Potentially try higher/multiple doses
- Consistent personal experience for 2+ years includes:
- Greatly reduced anxiety
- Prevents overstimulation
- Improved focus
- Improved sleep
- Honestly no discernable negative effects
post #132 of 137 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 11:45 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Goofy
Tried L-theanine. Did nothing for me. Increasing dosages. At the end of the ''treatment'' I even went to 1000 mg (10x the suggested dosage).

But I'm I'm immune to 99% of meds and supplements as my long history has shown, even sleeping pills that could knock out a horse of it's feet (my psychiatrist's words) didn't had any effect on me.
post #133 of 137 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 02:45 PM
SAS Member

I really like L-Theanine. It's a great, natural alternative to other things people use for coping with anxiety and stress. It's also a great tool to help wind down in the afternoons and evenings. It helps maintain a clear head and organized thoughts. I take about 600-800 mg at a time. I also get it from Liftmode, I like the company, always a good experience buying with them.
post #134 of 137 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 10:42 PM
Permanently sad

My Mood: Sad
Did nothing.

 iFeel It All - Feist 
post #135 of 137 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 03:29 PM
Hermit

My Mood: Dead
I think chamomile tea is way stronger than l-theanine.
post #136 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 08:31 PM
SAS Member

My experience with L - Theanine

So, after struggling with anxiety for a while, a family member of mine gave me a small sample of L-Theanine to try. I ordered some immediately! I ordered from Liftmode seeing as it was the same brand as what my family member gave me, and it has been extremely helpful with managing my anxiety and stress. Upon taking it, as directed by the Liftmode instructions, I noticed a significant increase in my ability to not succumb to the crippling effects of my anxiety. I could focus, and not worry. I could work without feeling bogged down with my own nagging thoughts. I would greatly recommend this product to anyone struggling with anxiety!
post #137 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 07:56 AM
SAS Member

Suspi-liftmode-cious.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page