L-Theanine - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 137 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 01:14 AM
SAS Member

I've been taking L-theanine for about four days now and I love it! I take the Suntheanine ones, very delicious chewables. Whenever I take it I feel very awake, alert, everything around me seems brighter, I think straighter, don't second guess every thought like I do when I don't take anything. It also makes me a lot happier, although if someone rubs me the wrong way, as they say, I will snap at them with a lot of force but it's more controlled and I feel more confident in what I tell that person. I'm not stumbling on my words and losing control of my temper. The first day I took it I actually wrote (an article for my blog) for 5 HOURS straight and only took a break to eat, it was incredible. I haven't been able to concentrate on anything for a while now. I can also read for longer periods of time without getting distracted. So far I'm really loving the results, I hope they continue this way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 137 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 12:06 PM
SAS Member

Glad to see it is working for you. I have a problem with mumbling and mixing up words and talking too fast and I think this might work for me as well. Where did you buy the suntheanine brand ones?
post #23 of 137 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 01:28 PM
SAS Member

I had the same problem! I always talked too fast and mixed up my words (and I'm sure sometimes I still do but it has gotten a lot better). The L-theanine really helps that! At least for me.

I bought the Suntheanine at Alive Health Centre, but I heard you can get it at Whole Foods and GNC as well!
post #24 of 137 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 07:06 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban

Watch for tolerance with any of these things. Theanine isn't as bad for it as some things but I notice that every time I think I found something great, the effect wears off if I take it every day.
post #25 of 137 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Permanently Banned

Theanine

i think all these supplements are a joke if u have social anxiety disorder u should be taking medicine i took almost a gram of this stuff and it did nothing it says to only take one pill a day i took like 10 but i think phenibut is maybe the only supplement that really works for people with real problems and i will tell people how that works when i get it
post #26 of 137 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 07:20 PM
SAS Member

Dude I took this for the 2nd day. I felt something, relaxed, etc. The big speech day came, I was all calm until I was next, I had already taken 3 pills through the day the most recent a little over an hour ago. I freaked. This is not for public speaking. I need help, this **** is ruining my life.
post #27 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 08:38 PM
SAS Member

The first time I tried Ltheanine, I took 400mg and was very calm, but I was also too hyped up to sleep. The next day, I took it at work and was feeling good for about 6 hours then took another 400mg dose around 6pm and then took passion flower extract to sleep around 11pm. The third day, I started having tolerance. Shook most of the day at work and finally feel calm this evening. I don't know if I am overdoing it, but 100 or 200mg did nothing at that dosage. I think for me, Ltheanine is a "once in a while" supplement. I may still play around with the dosages. I've even gotten tolerant to the passion flower. The first 2 days, I took it by itself and wanted to sleep all day. Now, a week later, I take it and have the opposite effect. The ltheanine does not have any interactions, but the passion flower may be interacting with the LTheanine. I have to stop putting the two together, I guess. I am still researching.
My worst time of day is the morning, driving to work. I get so nervous, I want to turn the car around and come home.
post #28 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 04:31 PM
SAS Member

I believe L theanine has helped me enough that its worth mentioning. I however did not follow the recomended dosages. This really is a very safe substance. Bottle says take 1 or 2 a day, i took however many it took to make me feel better. Sometimes up to 8,9 or 10 a day. Thats really what it takes. Only downside is that it can be expensive and a tolerance does build so you might need more over time. But its safe, no side effects and in high enough doses, does help, for me at least.
post #29 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 02:42 PM
SAS Member

L-Theanine with Relora by Source Naturals

Yeah I was taking this product by Source Naturals, L-Theanine with Relora. This was one of my first "treament" ideas before I went to a doctor. I think alot of it was a placebo effect but it certainly does SOMETHING. I would guess maybe a 20% reduction in GAD but it didn't do anything for my SA which is kind of a different beast at least for me. I would recommend trying it out, no side effects, you can't lose, however if having some serious anxiety troubles its always best to see a real doctor.
post #30 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 02:53 PM

L-theanine worked well for me at 225mg for about a week, than seemed to peter out rather quickly. I also started to develop terrible headaches, so after day nine just decided to give up.
post #31 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 06:39 PM
SAS Member

Just started taking this a few days ago....may be a placebo but I feel generally calmer. Only 200mg in the morning and another before bed.
post #32 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 08:20 PM
pirate

i've been trying this. 200mg a day. no major difference. just have to use up the rest of the bottle.

been getting headaches recently, may or may not be related.

post #33 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 09:08 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekaHarlow View Post
I've been taking L-theanine for about four days now and I love it! I take the Suntheanine ones, very delicious chewables. Whenever I take it I feel very awake, alert, everything around me seems brighter, I think straighter, don't second guess every thought like I do when I don't take anything. It also makes me a lot happier, although if someone rubs me the wrong way, as they say, I will snap at them with a lot of force but it's more controlled and I feel more confident in what I tell that person. I'm not stumbling on my words and losing control of my temper. The first day I took it I actually wrote (an article for my blog) for 5 HOURS straight and only took a break to eat, it was incredible. I haven't been able to concentrate on anything for a while now. I can also read for longer periods of time without getting distracted. So far I'm really loving the results, I hope they continue this way!
is the theanine working anymore? I just got some and will try.
post #34 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Why so serious?

I'm thinking about getting some of this myself after reading some good reviews of it online, anything is worth a try at this point for me.
post #35 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 03:33 AM

For those of you who are getting absolutely no effect from l-theanine in pill form, to be honest, all you really need is green tea. It helps if it's quality green tea but just about any kind will probably do.

I noticed right off when I started drinking tea a few years back that I got a really smooth, warm calm from it consistently. I started looking into it online and found that the l-thenine content was most likely responsible for this. I reasoned that if this was the case, I didn't really need to drink tea to get this feeling. I could just get it in pill form.

So I tried that with high expectations but I found the L-Theanine pills I bought (Kal brand) to be basically useless. Since I don't have much money to play with, I couldn't really afford to experiment with other brands.

After a little more searching on the web, I found that the theory on L-theanine is that the synergistic combination of it and caffeine in tea is what makes it work so maybe that's why. It may work to some degree on it's own and maybe that's why some people feel something and some don't. But most people probably feel relaxed yet alert after a cup of tea. Now you would think caffeine would be bad for anxiety and in truth, I think it is IF you overdo it. But tea doesn't give you the jitters like coffee and soda does. It also doesn't make me feel panicky unless I drink a lot of it.

Anyway, I have been a big advocate of tea for relaxation. Just remember. Drink it in moderation. I went through a period where I was drinking too much every day and I was a mess.

I tried to quit caffeine completely starting a few weeks ago. I would have a soda once in awhile but that was it. I noticed that I still had this empty, panicked feeling in the pit of my stomach that just wouldn't go away. About an hour ago, I made myself an 8 ounce cup of Chinese green tea and that feeling immediately went away within a few sips.

I think it is important to get a good brand of tea (loose tea if you can) but I know that Yamamotoyama seems to be an OK brand that is available in some stores and doesn't cost much. It's bags though. I did still some good mood enhancement from Lipton green tea but it wasn't as pronounced, didn't last as long and wasn't as smooth.
post #36 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 11:06 AM
SAS Member

Question: Before starting Paxil, I was using L-Theanine in place of Xanax with good success. Does anyone know if I can still take L-Theanine while taking Paxil? I would much prefer to take it over Xanax, if possible.
post #37 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 01:58 PM
SAS Member

I drink alot of tea which contains L-theanine i didnt know you could buy it im ganna go and get some i know omega 3 helps me alot this is a good post thanks
post #38 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Iam building a religion

Location: Leading a cult in the forests of Eastern Central N.J.
screw l-theanine. get suntheanine its a beefed up lab grown more potent version of l-theanine. it has a calming effect but not like a benzo. its a great mindfulness / meditation aid when taken 1st thing in the morning last for about 8 hours

" Dad died and I slipped in a coma, I was awake but I listened to no one. I was distant, I was pissed off, I was the last living Christoff, and I was angry with the other side of my window. A side that I wasnt built for. A side that I wasnt fit for. Convinced I was better off indoors, untill my pills run out and my killed buzz makes me sick till I refill my script up "

Derek Christoff a.k.a D-Sisive
post #39 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 04:57 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Hobo Scratch MD View Post
screw l-theanine. get suntheanine its a beefed up lab grown more potent version of l-theanine. it has a calming effect but not like a benzo. its a great mindfulness / meditation aid when taken 1st thing in the morning last for about 8 hours
yes, I agree, this is the stuff I got and I can attest that it really works.

“People don’t really want to know anything about you. They just want to put you into their little preordained slots. They decide what you are in the first two seconds, and they only get nervous or upset if you don’t live up to their snap judgements. That’s the only way the normal world’s like the Real – it all depends on who people think you are. Figure that out, play to what they expect, and it’s clear sailing.”
― Lilith Saintcrow
post #40 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:52 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
I just got some sunthenine 200mg caps. I took one and nothing, so an hour and a half later I took another one, and still nothing, so on my lunch break i took a 3rd one, and an hour after that I was very energetic, talkative, confident, and very focused, but very edgy at the same time, and it didn't make me feel calm or less anxious, it actually was the complete opposite. But I liked the way it made me feel. Does anyone know whats going on? 600mg in 4 hours is that bad?
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page