Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Treatment Reviews > Supplements

Like Tree4 Liked Posts

Old 02-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Gaba

GABA is a neurotransmitter that's reputed to reduce anxiety and increase the amount of the Human Growth Hormone when taken as a supplement. It's come into question whether GABA can pass the blood-brain barrier.

More Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-a...d#Pharmacology

Rate this treatment:
Click the "Rate Thread" link to the upper right of this post (login required).

Review this treatment:
Click the "Post Reply" button to the upper left of this post (login required).

Helena_SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default The Blood/Brain Barrier

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by radiohead
Social Anxiety Background
I've suffered from GAD/SA for approximately 5 or so years now. I have general anxiety/depression, and also pretty severe social anxiety that prevents me from doing every day things. When around strangers or even people I know most of the time: nervousness, shaky/restlessness, increased heart rate and blood pressure, trouble saying what I mean/think, difficulty maintaining eye contact and basically destroying my chances at a real relationship.

Other Treatments
I have tried many different medicines, as well as some counseling(group and individual). I took Zoloft and Lexapro before, they didn't do much for me. I also did Lamictal(Lamitrogine) 200mg for awhile and had some very positive results with little side effects. I plan on maybe going back on Lamictal. Currently I just take 5-HTP and L-Tyrosine(as well as vitamins).

Treatment Experience
GABA is a very important neurotransmitter in our body. The supplements available at stores that are believed to be GABA have the active ingredient Gamma-aminobutyric acid. I have to go with the research that questions whether or not this supplement actually crosses over the blood/brain barrier.

I've taken 750mg, 1500mg, and so on multiple times in trying to gain relief with this supplement. I believe every time I did there was absolutely no effect, if not some slight placebo effect. Compared to many other supplements I have to agree with the science and say this one is kind of a waste of money and has little benefit, if any.

As for treating GABA receptors, there are many great ways to do this. I think your best bet to increase your GABA system is to get a doctor/psych appointment and go on a prescription medicine like Lamictal or Neurontin. I've had success with Lamictal before.
Helena_SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

I gotta say, this GABA supplement is working better than I could have expected. It's not as good as a benzo, but it is working for me. It took about two weeks of taking a 500mg pill four times a day before I started to notice the effects. Now, I definitely feel calmer and more sociable. I'd say the only negative aspect of it is that usually twice a day I feel high. It's not a bad feeling by any means, but I've never gotten any kind of high off a benzo.
rustybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Doesn't that come in a B-complex too? I guess its not high enough in a complex and you probably have to take it by itself. I used to take B complexes and I did feel calmer. Maybe I will try Gaba.
Sunshine009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah the GABA pills that I have do have 2mg of vitamin B6.
rustybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have tried 2 brands of GABA 500mg pills . They both helps lower SA for a few days and then the effects waned . I upped my does to 2 pills(1000mg total) at a time but got not effects to aid SA. I am now trying a "amino complete" 2 capsules with 1 gaba pill . I have increased my exercise by bike commuting . These together are making a big change in lowering my SA .
shyblkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

As a pharmacist I know that in theory this stuff shouldn't cross the blood brain barrier and have an effect. But from my personal experience, it DEFINATELY does something after I take it. I feel more calm and relaxed.
Jericho187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
MBL

Useless.

HALIFAX, Nova Scotia (Canada)
MBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Without gamma-aminobutyric acid, your muscles would be constantly tense, your mind would never stop racing, and your overall ability to function would be severely impaired. Gaba supplements can be taken to increase this valuable resource in your body.
Kennnie and Dirt Road Rambler like this.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho187 View Post
As a pharmacist I know that in theory this stuff shouldn't cross the blood brain barrier and have an effect. But from my personal experience, it DEFINATELY does something after I take it. I feel more calm and relaxed.
As a non pharmacist I feel the same things without the smart stuff.
ameritrash73 likes this.
LALoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

GABA sounds like one of those things that works for some and not for others. I haven't tried it yet though so it's next on my list.
tant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

Has anyone tried both GABA and pharma-GABA? If so did you find any difference between them?
sleepytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Been taking this for roughly a week. Been working for me. Same feeling as benzo but not as intense. Doesn't last as long either, but it does seem that some days lately I can wake up and take nothing at all and be fine.
I_Dazed_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

Are there any side effects of long term use? Also, have you felt the need to increase your dose over time?

"Surrounded"
RockIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

About gaba,gaba the simple amino acid CANNOT cross the blood brain barrier/Howerever there are a number of supplments that do.

PIcamilion uses nician as a carrier,its a nutrient and does cross the brain with gaba.

L theanine cross the brain and is said to raise both gaba and dopamine

L phenibut is a gaba raising supplement

And kava kava crosses the brain and effects gaba

Please dont waste money on expensive gaba,it cant do anything
willinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

Default About Gaba

Gaba the amini acid sold in stores DOES NOT CROSS THE BLOOD BRAIN BARRIER, so please dont wate your money as its also expensive.

Some supplments to do,are

Picamilion - a supplment that attacthes to nicacin as its carrier and does cross the BRAIN and raises gaba.

L Theanine - Also crosses the brain and is said to raise both gaba and dopamine

Phenibut - Is a potent supplement thats raises gaba

Kava kava - among othr things raises gaba

Taurine - doesent raise gaba,but taurine itself like gaba are both inhibtory calming brain chemicals.
willinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #17 (permalink)

After taking these for 2 weeks I decided to stop because if leaves you in a daze for most of the day. Typical SA symptoms returned after stopping but I would rather have my wits about me and deal with the SA using other means then be a zombie all day.

I would say this stuff is good for just trying to relax around the house, not function in the "outside world"
I_Dazed_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

When I take my klonipin it drastically increases the effects I get from GABA. I can't see why this would happen if the GABA wasn't crossing the blood brain barrier. There's something to it, plus I wake up with less tension when I take it before bed.
flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #19 (permalink)

Isn't gaba a substance that can't pass the blood brain barrier. so basically consuming it is useless?
ronkonkoma832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #20 (permalink)

I Just started taking Gaba for Anxiety and so far it makes me feel like I am light headed & speeding. I have not slept for the last 4 nights. Wake up feeling anxious and wide awake. Has any one else experienced this? How long do you have to take it before it starts working?
Desparada50 is offline   Reply With Quote