5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) - Page 7 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #121 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 03:04 PM
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoslow View Post
Yeah zoloft can effect dopamine too and raise the amount somewhat, maybe that was what you experienced. But these ssri's are quirky.. some people lose their sexdrive altogether. One reason I'm not happy to try them out and stick to 5-htp Just need to balance it out.
Ahh cool ****, you guys are smart, did you go to psychiatrist or did you find out about 5-HTP yourself? You go to psychiatrist they don't recommend this they recommend SSRIs straight up, I wonder why?

what you think, you create
what you attract, you feel
what you imagine, you become
Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 03:12 PM
Master of my domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingmind View Post
Ahh cool ****, you guys are smart, did you go to psychiatrist or did you find out about 5-HTP yourself? You go to psychiatrist they don't recommend this they recommend SSRIs straight up, I wonder why?
No I didn't go there. I have seen regular doctors but I didn't get much useful help, I probably should have seen more but instead I made tons of research myself and selected different medications to try. And now I have a good combo for depression and anxiety 5-htp I can get myself and the anxiety meds I get from a doctor prescribing what I think would be good for me, I don't need to see him in person, I buy them online.

The reason I think is because there aren't a whole lot of studies on 5-htp yet. Also there are some risk factors with 5-htp that are yet to be better studied. But the people saying big pharma rules may also be on to something. They are probably instructed to prescribe pills and not natural supplements.

Make it so number one. Engage!

post #123 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 03:14 PM
lol

Quote:
No I didn't go there. I have seen regular doctors but I didn't get much useful help, I probably should have seen more but instead I made tons of research myself and selected different medications to try. And now I have a good combo for depression and anxiety 5-htp I can get myself and the anxiety meds I get from a doctor prescribing what I think would be good for me, I don't need to see him in person, I buy them online.

The reason I think is because there aren't a whole lot of studies on 5-htp yet. Also there are some risk factors with 5-htp that are yet to be better studied. But the people saying big pharma rules may also be on to something. They are probably instructed to prescribe pills and not natural supplements.
Wow. ty

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

post #124 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 03:20 PM
Self Inflicted Perma Ban

Quote:
Since zoslow already answered the question, I'll just leave it at that.

Now, how I found out about 5-htp and tyrosine was that I started taking BCAA supplements for my weight lifting routine. I did not properly research this supplement and what it did at first, which taught me a valuable lesson in and of itself. Then I started actually researching it, and it turned out that the BCAA caps actually *inhibited* the production of serotonin.

So I was like "If there is a supplement that inhibits the production of serotonin (which I already have less of due to OCD/SA), why wouldn't there be a supplement that actually enhances the production of or directly gave me a serotonin boost?" A quick Google search of using the keywords "OCD serotonin supplement" turned up 5-htp and then did some more research into it. Look for the natural variant called Griffonia Simplicifolia instead of the synthetic variant, though. I use the NOW Foods brand for both the tyrosine and 5-htp but any natural variant brand will do.

Here to stay
Even when I'm gone
When I close my eyes
Through the passage of time
Kings never die
post #125 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 03:21 PM
Master of my domain

Quote:
Wow. ty
Hey you're welcome. Hows it working out being on prozac? I seem to recall you mentioned it in some posts I've seen.

post #126 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 03:28 PM
lol

Quote:
Hey you're welcome. Hows it working out being on prozac? I seem to recall you mentioned it in some posts I've seen.
I seem to like it. Makes me happy. I just need to be happy.

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ
post #127 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 03:36 PM
Master of my domain

Quote:
I seem to like it. Makes me happy. I just need to be happy.
Ah that's great then

post #128 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 01:06 PM
SAS Member

I just started taking 5-htp. The first night I took it I was fresh from a nap after a couple beers, and after taking 200mgs that night I felt high. I did feel drowsy and that night I did have a vivid dream but at the same time I kept waking up. My stomach did feel a good bit uneasy as well. 2nd time I took it which was a couple hours ago(no beers) in the daytime, I only felt a bit calmer. Didn't even feel drowsy. I do have the same uneasy stomach though.

I'll experiment with it a bit more and also combine it with GABA n l theanine which I just ordered(trying to buy that from a drugstore is wow! Expensive!). And just go from there
post #129 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 10:48 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalunatic View Post
No, it would actually be pretty dangerous to take both at the same time since there's a chance of Serotonin Syndrome, which is potentially fatal. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use 5-htp in combination with any and all antidepressant medication. Neither should you use 5-htp within the first four weeks of the day you last took a dosage, no matter how small, of any and all brands and types of antidepressant medication.
Where did u get the 4 week limit ?
post #130 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 12:52 AM
Nothingman

Thanks you for this. I wish I had known, when it was suggested to use 5-HTP to help with my sleep issues. Now I haven't been sleeping lately, among the other side effects as described, and wish I had known about these issues earlier.

I believe this sums me up perfectly:
"I don't know how everyone else feels...but I definitely go through periods of extreme self-confidence, feeling like I can do anything... But then someone will say something, however insignificant, or I'll get something in my head and, all of a sudden, I'm plummeting in the opposite direction, I'm a piece of ****, and I really can't do anything about it. That's where "Outshined" comes from, and why I'll never consider myself a hero." -- Chris Cornell
post #131 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 03:31 PM
SAS Member

The only thing 5htp did for me was it greatly increased my hunger. I gained 5 pounds
post #132 of 137 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 06:38 AM
SAS Member

As far as supplements go, I've tried Ashwagandha, 5-htp and L-theanine. Out of those I personally find 5-htp the worst, in fact I'm sure it actually increased my anxiety.
post #133 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 11:25 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agaga View Post
As far as supplements go, I've tried Ashwagandha, 5-htp and L-theanine. Out of those I personally find 5-htp the worst, in fact I'm sure it actually increased my anxiety.
I read in a study that 5htp increases cortisol which is the stress hormone, which would mean more anxiety.
post #134 of 137 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 08:39 PM
SAS Member

I suffer from panic disorder and mild depression for several years. I have been on SSRI and Alprazolam in the past for more than one year. Alprazolam was very effective for me, my panic disorder gone away just several minutes after taken. However, Alprazolam was losing it’s effect gradually after several weeks of use. SSRI alone stabilise my emotion very well but seems cannot relief my panic disorder, my chest feel tight and heart racing especially in morning before wake up.

I decided to withdraw SSRI, after several months I started to take 5-htp instead. I feel the effect of 5-htp is quite similar to SSRI, even better than SSRI if I choose time release version, no sweating after taken. I also have taking B-Complex and Magnesium in this period which Magnesium helps to reduce my tight chest feeling quite well and B-Complex turns some of my white hair back to black which I unexpected.

After 3 months taking 5-htp, I feel unmotivated and very low sex drive, I think may be my dopamine is depleted. Yesterday I stopped 5-htp and started to take small amount of L-Tyrosine in morning instead, seems feel better today.

Actually starting from the treatment of SSRI till 5-htp, my panic disorder never goes away, why doctors use SSRI for panic disorder treatment? Since Alprazolam was so effective, seems panic disorder is more related to GABA than serotonin, at least for me.
post #135 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 02:06 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
Sorry for being lazy and not reading the thread, hence my question may have already been answered. I am addicted to a drug which has mild SSRI properties. I was planning part of my quitting regime to take 5-HTP for a month or so. So my question is:

Is 5-HTP a supplement you generally use as a quick fix? (which is how I think of it) Or do you take it long term?

I believe I can fix SA in my mind (with the help of this forum), so won't need antidepressants, but would still be curious to know if it is a long-term strategy. I tried Prozac once and that ended really badly, so I certainly want to stay away from the prescription meds which seem to take a few weeks to kick in. If I was to take something long term it seems better that it be an over the counter supplement.
post #136 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 12:07 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena_SAS View Post
(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by Steven Sponaugle
Treatment Experience
Florida Detox and Wellness Institute routinely measures neurotransmitter levels or metabolites, in patients. The vast majority of our chemically dependent patients have deficient or suboptimal levels of 5 HIAA, the Serotonin breakdown product. We can usually increase Serotonin levels dramatically, using 5 HTP, magnesium and Pyridoxal 5 Phosphate, P5P.

Most Americans and practitioners are unaware that about 50 percent of adult Americans are lactose intolerant and lactose intolerance interferes with conversion of l tryptophan to Serotonin. This helps explain why Serotonin deficiency, depression, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder and insomnia are so prevalent. Magnesium is necessary for conversion of tryptophan to Serotonin and magnesium is the most common nutritional deficiency in the US, due mainly to impaired absorption more than inadequate intake.

Many of our patients are amazed to learn how relaxed they become and how well they sleep, after receiving Magnesium Sulfate IVs. The reduction of anxiety and insomnnia from intravenous magnesium, is difficult to describe in words, compared to personally experiencing the magnesium infusion.
You all need to drop the whole Seretonin focus and so on.
A biochemical imbalance has never been found in a human brain
and there has never been evidence found to prove that a lack of seretonin
is what causes "depression" (feeling down).
Even if "depression" (feeling down) was found to be the corresponding
effect of there being a lack of seretonin in the brain then all psychiatric drugs
would make the issue worse and disrupt normal function elsewhere in the brain
and body due to them being toxic!

If you ever want the FACTS about psychiatry and the pharmaceutical companies
then study Peter Breggin MD - The leader in the field.

Even all of the labels which psychiatrists and pharmaceutical companies have assigned to normal human responses to the various issues of peoples lives i.e. depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, bi-polar and so on are INVENTIONS!
Even 'Social Anxiety' is just that 'anxiety' which can be overcome with proper thinking strategies.

Regulate your body and mind with organic nutrition - living plant foods, and proper thinking strategies.
On a physical level it's nutrients which causes healthy cell growth, strong immune system and so on. The body has no need for any pharmaceutical chemical - if it did they would grow on trees-FACT!
post #137 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:07 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M W View Post
A biochemical imbalance has never been found in a human brain
and there has never been evidence found to prove that a lack of seretonin
is what causes "depression"...

Regulate your body and mind with organic nutrition - living plant foods, and proper thinking strategies.
That psychiatrist is very convincing. But lots of very intelligent people seem to advocate and use anti depressants for re-aligning and balancing their minds. I was just watching an expert talking about it helping her on Joe Rogan's podcast the other day, which made me question the psychiatrist who never prescribes anything.

Do you know of anyone else with the same views?

Also do you have any sources to share for what you called "proper thinking strategies"?

I would love to hear some solid intelligent advice from an expert in neuroscience like Sam Harris. I want more control over mood and would love to avoid medication.

Happy new year.

"I am good enough"
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page