X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Discussion > Health

Old 05-21-2010, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy why are my energy levels SO low?

I am a 20 year old female. weigh about 110-115 pounds. i eat very healthy. once in a while i will have a treat like a chocolate or something on fridays, other than that, a lot of nuts, fresh fruits and veggies and whole grains and i drink a lot of water too. i excercise at least a few times a week for at least 30 mins. i stretch in the morning and before going to work. ive been trying 5 hour energy shots. i take vitamin supplements. i dont know what else to do.

why are my energy levels so low? it has been like this for years. at my last physical they didnt know why. i told them i had depression and they said thats probably why. can just depression and SA alone cause this? they said i am perfectly healthy and normal weight too!

what can i do?
1applehearts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

It's common for girls our age to have low-blood pressure which can lower your energy levels. I have sever low-blood pressure so on occasion I actually pass out.

I don't know if this is your problem, but it is typical of women. I think this is exacerbated during our periods too.
mcmuffinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

i'm not a doctor, but imo: yes, blame depression and hormones
periods can sometimes drain energy.

other 'possible' causes:
- too much fruit, or foods with sugar (it makes you sleepy)
*edit: apples actually boost energy, try to stay away from fruit like pineapple and watermelon (very high in sugar).
- too much carbs (even if whole grain, it still makes you sleepy)

try:
- incorporating more protein in your diet (it boosts energy)
- incorporating more 'dark' chocolate (rich in antioxidants, which also boosts energy)
- other forms of exercise (it's not good to do the same thing)

lonelygirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

thanks for all of the responses. i had a physical not too long ago. im not anemic. during my cycle i take iron from the blood loss....i eat very healthy...i think the blood pressure thing is a good idea. you may be on to something. ive never heard of that until now. i wonder why a hormonal girl would have low blood pressure?

i know that i eat enough...i eat every 2-3 hours. usually nuts, cheese or fruit as a snack . weird.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

i have found that going straight to sleep and not listening to the radio or watching tv in bed has helped me feel more awake during the day! also i try and exercise every day as well! i used to sleep lots, to avoid being awake mostly, and i was v lethargic and wouldnt go outside v often, sometimes i would stay home for days and weeks.

anyway good luck

tim
timmytim7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hello,

Here would be my 2 cents worth:

-try taking a supplement such as a multi-vitamin. In addition, you could trying taking vitamin B-12, which are good energy boosters from my understanding.

-see a doctor, maybe there is an underlying medical condition such as anemia.

-try to work on issues that drain your energy (i.e. depression, stress at work/school etc.).

Help it helps and best of luck,
djr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyruby View Post
I find a lot of people with SA have this problem. It has been explained to me that it probably is depression and there may be some truth to that.
I think there definately could be.

I suffer from extremely low energy levels myself, although I get at least 8 hours sleep a night and don't have an awful diet (although it could be better admittedly!). Most days I feel drained upon getting up and it just goes downhill from there, although I occasionally perk up a little at night. I just feel completely devoid of energy and I'm sure it's from the stress of suffering from anxiety and depression. My doctor actually carried out a complete blood test on me a while back, suspecting I could be suffering from anaemia, but everything came back apparenly fine.

It makes me really worry about how I'm going to be able to cope with a full-time job once I'm done with university... feeling so lethargic all the time is a real problem, and it's certainly not just normal laziness.
mooncake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ironically I have more energy now that I have given up caffeine. Although, I was a hardcore addict - it may not be an issue for people who don't go stupid with the stuff. It was literally making me sick and draining me of energy.
starblob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

i find that exercise sometimes help, if you can find the motivation... it really helps me
sjohnson1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooncake View Post
I think there definately could be.

I suffer from extremely low energy levels myself, although I get at least 8 hours sleep a night and don't have an awful diet (although it could be better admittedly!). Most days I feel drained upon getting up and it just goes downhill from there, although I occasionally perk up a little at night. I just feel completely devoid of energy and I'm sure it's from the stress of suffering from anxiety and depression. My doctor actually carried out a complete blood test on me a while back, suspecting I could be suffering from anaemia, but everything came back apparenly fine.

It makes me really worry about how I'm going to be able to cope with a full-time job once I'm done with university... feeling so lethargic all the time is a real problem, and it's certainly not just normal laziness.
im the SAME way. we ordered blood tests and they told me theres nothing wrong. must be psychological!
Old 05-28-2010, 09:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

thanks everyone for the suggestions. i think i might see a doctor or something

because i AM taking vitamins, eating healthy, excercising, i just dont know what the heck else it could be
Old 05-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Please have a look at the two chair exercise here at this forum:

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...-method-91003/

It has energizing effects!
Wael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

me too! i am always so tired....