post #261 of 268 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Ocean Bobbert

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 268 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:55 PM
Lemniscate

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendidbob View Post

@She and Her Darkness hmm recovering anorexic. Your BMI is 24.2 which is in the healthy range

Definitely don't count calories. Honestly, all I would suggest for you would be to focus on replacing unhealthy snacks with healthy ones, or exercising a little more perhaps re health, because recovering anorexia, and your weight is great. You might lose a few lbs as a side effect of making your diet healthier, but I figure that trying to lose weight might be pushing things too close into dangerous territory given you are a recovering anorexic.

I don't know much about anorexia though (as a disclaimer), just would advise caution.
i know how iffy it must sound. However, i'd say i'm more 'recovered' than 'recovering,' i'm long done with that hell, i just don't want to encourage myself back into a limiting mindset.
my weight is right at the edge of being in acceptable range, but i've had some concerns expressed to me about the change, my overeating is definitely a problem.

i appreciate your suggestions, i can see where you're coming from.

My mother tells me I am a bird, but when she says I am a bird she means the whole world is my cage.

So therefore, I dedicate myself to my art, my sleep, my dreams, my labors, my unique madness, my endless absorption and hunger because I cannot dedicate myself to any fellow being.

~sabrina benaim
~jack kerouac
post #263 of 268 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 05:10 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Paranoid
Warning: Whining post

OK, here's where the psychological **** comes into weight loss.

Today I stepped on the scales and I've lost a kilo since last week. That should be freaking amazing. It was last Thursday, so a kilo (2.2lb) in 6 days.

And yet my brain went 'Oh, shouldn't it have been more than that?'

Because this week my average cals have been 1040, and my average carbs 97g. That's the lowest since I started this... and I've lost a kilo in a week before. So how do I justify going that low with cals/carbs if it's just gonna give me the same result as when it was higher?

Every other time I've tried to lose weight (and believe me, it's happened a lot), I've been ecstatic with 1 pound in a week. And now I'm not happy with 2? ****, I need to fix my brain...

As much as it hurts, ain't it wonderful to feel?

post #264 of 268 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Ocean Bobbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWelshOne View Post
Warning: Whining post

OK, here's where the psychological **** comes into weight loss.

Today I stepped on the scales and I've lost a kilo since last week. That should be freaking amazing. It was last Thursday, so a kilo (2.2lb) in 6 days.

And yet my brain went 'Oh, shouldn't it have been more than that?'

Because this week my average cals have been 1040, and my average carbs 97g. That's the lowest since I started this... and I've lost a kilo in a week before. So how do I justify going that low with cals/carbs if it's just gonna give me the same result as when it was higher?

Every other time I've tried to lose weight (and believe me, it's happened a lot), I've been ecstatic with 1 pound in a week. And now I'm not happy with 2? ****, I need to fix my brain...
2.2lbs is great.

2.2 (lbs lost) * 3500(calories in a lb) = 7700 (total caloric deficit over the week)

That equates to a 1,100 deficit per day.

Your average calories were 1040, if this weight loss is all fat, your maintenance level would be 1040+1100= 2140. (it probably isn't btw, its too early to make that calculation, but this is just to demonstrate the 1kg loss is the upper limits of what you should really expect).

This isn't the same result as when calories were higher, because weight loss != fat loss. Weight loss includes water loss. In the short term you can't really consider weight loss to be representative of fat loss.

The only way you can correlate weight loss with fat loss is in the longer term when you log. There is nothing bad about this weeks loss, it's all good, you did perfectly and the results were in line with that

Edit, just noticed 6 days

You are silly you know (I mean that in a nice way). 1283 per day. 1040+1283=2323 maintenance. That is not far off my maintenance as a 6ft 2 version of this (with slightly whiter teeth)

post #265 of 268 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:06 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
2.2lbs is great.

2.2 (lbs lost) * 3500(calories in a lb) = 7700 (total caloric deficit over the week)

That equates to a 1,100 deficit per day.

Your average calories were 1040, if this weight loss is all fat, your maintenance level would be 1040+1100= 2140. (it probably isn't btw, its too early to make that calculation, but this is just to demonstrate the 1kg loss is the upper limits of what you should really expect).

This isn't the same result as when calories were higher, because weight loss != fat loss. Weight loss includes water loss. In the short term you can't really consider weight loss to be representative of fat loss.

The only way you can correlate weight loss with fat loss is in the longer term when you log. There is nothing bad about this weeks loss, it's all good, you did perfectly and the results were in line with that

Edit, just noticed 6 days

You are silly you know (I mean that in a nice way). 1283 per day. 1040+1283=2323 maintenance. That is not far off my maintenance as a 6ft 2 version of this (with slightly whiter teeth)

Tbf, I should probably stop using kilos. It's the '1' that's getting me down, I think. But working it in pounds right now is likely to **** with my brain more... It's basically a toss up between feeling momentarily bad (OK, a few hours) and feeling bad constantly.

Plus side, I just ordered 500g of Inositol. Even at 2g daily, that'd last me 'til the end of the year.

post #266 of 268 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Ocean Bobbert

Quote:

Tbf, I should probably stop using kilos. It's the '1' that's getting me down, I think. But working it in pounds right now is likely to **** with my brain more... It's basically a toss up between feeling momentarily bad (OK, a few hours) and feeling bad constantly.

Plus side, I just ordered 500g of Inositol. Even at 2g daily, that'd last me 'til the end of the year.
lbs is easier though because 3500 calories = 1lb, and 3500 per week = 500 calories deficit per day (so its very easy to do a quick calc to keep expectations in order). So you know 500 calories deficit (1lb) is a pretty damn good rate (it's the rate I have lost at over the last couple of years). 1000 calories deficit is a very good rate (2lbs). Anything over that is basically guaranteed water because its almost impossible to make that kind of deficit.

Honestly, for you with PCOS, expect this to slow a little. I don't say that to be annoying, but to keep expectations realistic and prevent a brain crash later. Anything over 1lb is really ****ing good with PCOS, seriously. It's one of those "legit" weight loss ****er uppers. If you can lose at 1.5lbs per week, that will be absolutely magnificent.

Will also say congrats on your logging btw, ****ing perfect, and consistent, and I'm jealous. Much better than mine has been.

Inositol party yay
post #267 of 268 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:47 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
lbs is easier though because 3500 calories = 1lb, and 3500 per week = 500 calories deficit per day (so its very easy to do a quick calc to keep expectations in order). So you know 500 calories deficit (1lb) is a pretty damn good rate (it's the rate I have lost at over the last couple of years). 1000 calories deficit is a very good rate (2lbs). Anything over that is basically guaranteed water because its almost impossible to make that kind of deficit.

Honestly, for you with PCOS, expect this to slow a little. I don't say that to be annoying, but to keep expectations realistic and prevent a brain crash later. Anything over 1lb is really ****ing good with PCOS, seriously. It's one of those "legit" weight loss ****er uppers. If you can lose at 1.5lbs per week, that will be absolutely magnificent.
That's the thing, I know that but my brain won't shut up anyway. When I started this, 1lb a week was a goal that seemed unlikely. Now I'm down half a stone (water, most likely, but it's still numbers on the scale) and it's like 'Why is this not something I'm celebrating?'

Gotta get the brain in order otherwise I'll end up like my sister, and I definitely don't want that. Though here's good news: Tomorrow I'll be eating over 2000 cals, but if I can spend the rest of the week at my usual just-over-1000, my average will still be only 1150-ish. So I don't even need to make up for it. And I had pizza tonight. Granted, it was a ****ing tiny one, but still, pizza! Hands down, this is the best diet plan I've ever done, mate, thanks for putting me onto it.

Quote:
Will also say congrats on your logging btw, ****ing perfect, and consistent, and I'm jealous. Much better than mine has been.
Thanks.

Though I'm sure when I've been logging for 325 days, I'll be far less consistent.

post #268 of 268 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Ocean Bobbert

Ok so update from me, not sure when I last did. Still going, but had a really crappy week this month with a 2800 average. I can still salvage it back into decent weight loss territory if I stay on 2000 and a bit below for the rest.

Weight back down at 196.4 today. Why? Cos weird.

Quote:
Thanks.

Though I'm sure when I've been logging for 325 days, I'll be far less consistent.
Np - it's the way to lose when you absolutely want to leave nothing to chance and get the job done.

Your brain will kinda chill out later on in the logging, eventually. Once the statistics pile up it gets difficult to ignore.

Yeh, been logging for a while now I guess lol.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page