Weight Loss Support Thread - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 268 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Ocean Bobbert

Weight Loss Support Thread

Since it's the new year and all that, and I am about to embark on the final leg of my weight loss journey (350lbs->206 as of yesterday morning) and plan to get down to about 180 within the next 3 or 4 months, thought I would make a post that serves as an open invite for anyone who wants to lose some weight to join me.

I will be posting progress updates, as well as my thoughts, and when I screw up and binge and so forth, and if others want to participate we can offer encouragement and support to each other etc.

I find that having other people who are joining in the weight loss effort helps to keep me on track. Would also like to share my myfitnesspal log with others as further motivation to keep on track.

I can also share information and my thoughts about weight loss in general and what I have found to be successful personally if anyone is interested (will reserve a few posts below this one in case there is a total post character limit here).

I might also share before and after pictures at the end (though I really don't want to post the before ones ).

Anyone wanting to join in, post as you see fit. I will be showing my start weight and probably weekly weigh in, but you can just post your change if you are more comfortable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 268 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Ocean Bobbert

A few bits and bobs.

Calorie counting:

My preferred method of weight loss. It isn't necessary to lose weight, and for some it might be a little on the obsessive side, but for me it maximises weight loss by giving accurate information and making me understand that there isn't any magic and I will lose weight according to calories (assuming moderately accurate measuring). This is especially accurate if you use averages, you can work out your maintenance calories and determine when you will reach your goal (to within a few weeks)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ is a great tool for logging calories. It has most bought foods in the database and you can store meals and add them with a couple of clicks. Takes me less than 5 minutes to daily log.

Weighing, you should weigh your food to begin with at least (I weigh some, and estimate others, but if I stop losing I find that tightening up on weighing will see it resume, as I usually am over by 200 cals a day or something)

Here is a TDEE (maintenance) calculator spreadsheet https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8E...N5QWNfeTg/view

And an excel one I haven't tried which supposedly pulls from my fitnesspal https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5l...45VmlUcEU/view

Good Alternate Method

Would be to designate a meal schedule for the week, log the calories in those meals, then just repeat. I haven't tried this, but no reason why it wouldn't work.

Other Methods

There are less involved methods of course, you can just do things like cut out soda, or switch around meals for lower calorie versions, or do intermittent fasting (skipping meals, and or eating within timeframes). Personally I tend to intermittent fast and count calories (to make some low calorie days). Going low carb works usually just by creating a deficit, though there might be some extra benefit for ladies with PCOS (due to insulin resistance).

Whatever method lets you cut calories with the least discomfort is probably the one you should use (as you will stick to it longer).

Exercise

I personally do no exercise when losing weight. The reasons for this are:

1. I find it spikes my hunger far more than the calories it burns, making it more challenging
2. I despise exercise
3. I can't accurately measure calories burned, and I do like things to be precise

It is always worth incorporating weight training, if you want to, to help preserve muscle mass, but I personally find it makes my weight not go down as easily (presumably due to muscle gain and water retention). I like to see the scale moving down and I find that personally, muscle memory means I can regain muscle quite rapidly later and mentally I do better seeing consistent loss. You probably should do resistance training though (I have a neck injury which prevents it anyway).

If you want to incorporate cardio, then go for it. My only cautions here are that you should be careful you don't overeat as a result of hunger induced by exercise, and that you actually enjoy doing it. If you hate exercise, and build your weight loss plan around it, then, you gonna fail.

I might get some hate for this, but exercise isn't necessary, it can make you lose weight quicker, and for some (who enjoy it) it can be great, but it really isn't necessary at all. I guess like everything there will be variation and some people will do better with lots of exercise and some with minimal.
post #3 of 268 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Ocean Bobbert

Also Reserved

post #4 of 268 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Ocean Bobbert

Start date:
01/01/2017

Weight:
206lbs

Target Weight:
180lbs

Method:
Calorie counting, 500-750 cal deficit per day

Exercise:
None atm
post #5 of 268 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 09:49 AM
littleghost

My Mood: Bashful
That's amazing that you've already lost almost 150 pounds!! Way to go. I need to lose 60-70 pounds. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I used to be even bigger, and i lost 50 pounds, and then I had a gall bladder attack which I learned came come from too rapid weight loss. Well, I had to have surgery, and it caused me to give up on my goals and I gained 20 of those pounds back. The gall bladder is gone now, but I'm still leery of trying to lose too fast.

I lost by counting calories too, and taking supplement from my doc. I ate 1000 calories a day, and I measured and weighed everything. I won't go so low on the calories next time.

Good luck! You're doing so great!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. ...Eleanor Roosevelt
post #6 of 268 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Ocean Bobbert

@littleghost thanks . Yeh, its probably taken me 3 years or so, maybe longer because there were lots of times I lost 25, then gained them back (usually over the winter when my mood got bad).

Oh yeh I remember gallbladder issues can occur with rapid weight loss. How quickly did you lose it?

Don't worry about the 20lbs gain. This happens. I think a good way to look at it (even if you aren't able to start losing again immediately) is just to try to minimise any gain. This is actually just as good as losing weight (because it is weight you won't have to lose in the future ).

Re weight loss speed, this is my last year:

A little over 1lb per week. Still huge amounts of weight came off even with this amount. And a deficit of 500 calories per day, just through diet (in my case, eating 2000 instead of 2500) isn't that difficult at all.
post #7 of 268 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 11:07 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Pensive
@splendidbob that is awesome man. I lost 40 pounds at the beginning of last year and I've gained a lot of it back. My new years resolution is to make a lifestyle change lol. I know I can lose the weight....I lost 40 pounds in about four months last year. I hit the gym every day and I ate right. So I know I can do it, I just need to stick to it this year. I have no excuses. I have a really nice gym in my apartment complex that's open 24/7. No excuses anymore lol.

Congratulations on all the weight loss man that is amazing.
post #8 of 268 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 11:11 AM
SAS Member

Location: all alone yo, no one around and all i can hear is this ****ed up sound.
My Mood: Psychedelic
@splendidbob - good luck mate, I will miss those love handles though.

Try going without food for 12/13hrs - say 8PM to 8 or 9AM and do some exercise just before brekky.

Sun's so bright that I`m nearly blind, cool cos I`m wired and I`m out of my mind.
Warms the dope running down my spine but I dont care about you and I got nothing to do.

I think my name is on your lips....probably complaining!

post #9 of 268 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Ocean Bobbert

@AllTheSame thanks man. Yeh, you can def do it again. You should join me here in posting your weekly weight change, give you a bit of further motivation to do it

I am going to look like a right idiot having made this thread if I fail and gain weight now .

@SFC01 haha. Yeh, you always seemed to enjoy the love handles

I do intermittent fasting actually sometimes. Because I run my calories on a weekly / monthly average I sometimes throw in a super low calorie day if I am behind. Though it seems to work better if you do it beforehand, than when trying to catch up. I did a sub 1000 cal day yesterday to kick off the year .
post #10 of 268 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 12:07 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
Congrats on the weight loss! I know how tough it is, especially how hard it is to keep going over that length of time. I've always battled my weight, and right now need to lose about 50 lbs. Currently, I have a lot going on in my life, and I'm not sure I'm up to battling the weight, too. I wish you the best.
post #11 of 268 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 12:32 PM
Cumbersome

Congrats on the weight loss so far and good luck with your future goals. Sounds like you know what you need to do. Nothing left except to do it.

I dropped quite a bit last year. Been consistently working out for over five years, but became kind of a permabulker for a couple years. I was 237lbs at 5'10" in January 2016 and dropped as low as 191lbs in September 2016. I'm intentionally back around 205lbs at the moment and will remain at this weight awhile.

I used myfitnesspal to track everything, too. Weights four days a week and cardio the other three. Carb cycling diet, which was higher carbs and calories on weight training days and lower carbs and calories on non weight training days. It worked really well. I'm still using the same approach to diet, except I'm eating at maintenance at the moment. Been slacking on cardio pretty hard lately and need to get back at it soon though.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #12 of 268 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:18 PM
SAS Member

i'd like to lose 5-10 lbs (it'd probably be good to replace some of that weight w/ muscle). i'll give myself 1 year to do it.....seems like a reasonable enough goal.

i think i weigh somewhere between 110-115 now.
post #13 of 268 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 03:32 PM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
Start date:
01/03/2017

Weight:
225 lbs

Height:
5'9

Target Weight:
160 lbs

Method:
Vegan diet and calorie counting.

Exercise:
Jogging on treadmill, at least half an hour a day.

I put on five pounds this week, by eating dairy products.. a real pita, next week we should have a treadmill and I plan on using it often. I'm going to try to keep to 1600 calories a day. My diet currently is vegetarian and has been for the past year, but I allow sweets, I plan on cutting those out, as well as going back to being a vegan.

This picture was taken about an hour ago at the grocery store, at the end of the year I hope to have another to upload with me at my target weight.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #14 of 268 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 04:42 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonebox View Post

I put on five pounds this week, by eating dairy products.. a real pita, next week we should have a treadmill and I plan on using it often. I'm going to try to keep to 1600 calories a day. My diet currently is vegetarian and has been for the past year, but I allow sweets, I plan on cutting those out, as well as going back to being a vegan.
my current diet is vegetarian, too, but i want to maybe work towards eliminating dairy and/or eggs. or maybe just eating that stuff/products w/ that stuff in it occasionally.

cool about the treadmill.....i'd like to get one, too, lol.
post #15 of 268 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 05:08 PM
Permanently Banned

Good luck you all. I made a graph when I lost weight too and it was interesting, I wish I still had it but that computer died epically.
post #16 of 268 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Ocean Bobbert

@JH1983 thanks, yeh, pretty much a matter of execution.

Cycling calories and carbs is interesting. I have been lifting again (as far as I am able) over the past month (I have a neck injury that has prevented me for the last couple of years) and god damn, lifting makes me ravenous

Out of interest, how long would you usually bulk for? Just until you get sick of the fat?

@fishaholic ty, if you feel like joining in tho please do, the more the merrier

@tea111red seem like a goal you can definitely acheive (esp if you are fairly weight stable atm). You can probably accomplish that with just a very minor diet adjustment (dropping soda / milk / something small you regularly have in you diet)

@zonebox yeh I gained 8lbs over christmas, and 4lbs in one day - it was mostly water weight though I think as 5 of those have come off after a couple of low calorie days (a lot of yours probably is too).

Welcome on board

My goal is a sub 2000 calorie average for the week (my maintenance is somewhere between 2400 and 2600 atm). I don't do much exercise personally as it tends to make me super hungry.
post #17 of 268 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 06:06 PM
Cumbersome

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendidbob View Post
@JH1983 thanks, yeh, pretty much a matter of execution.

Cycling calories and carbs is interesting. I have been lifting again (as far as I am able) over the past month (I have a neck injury that has prevented me for the last couple of years) and god damn, lifting makes me ravenous

Out of interest, how long would you usually bulk for? Just until you get sick of the fat?
Yeah, carb cycling is my go to method now for gaining weight with minimal fat, losing weight with minimal muscle loss or just body recomp. You just figure out your maintenance calories (or your deficit or surplus, whatever you're going for) on a weekly scale and adjust your lifting days a little higher and cardio/off days a little lower. I keep protein the same and go higher on carbs and lower fat on the lifting days and and on off/cardio days lower carbs and higher fat. It really works great and like you said you're more hungry on training days. Definitely worth a try.

I pretty well bulked for a little over two years last time. From 160lbs to 237lbs. Won't ever do it like that again, lol. I was just chasing bigger numbers on my big three lifts. I spent almost all of last year slowly cutting weight while maintaining strength and muscle. Now that I've gotten fairly lean, strong and have some decent size on me I'll just slowly gain weight, lose weight or maintain weight while trying to gain strength and not do anything drastic like that again.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #18 of 268 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:18 PM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
Quote:
Originally Posted by tea111red View Post
my current diet is vegetarian, too, but i want to maybe work towards eliminating dairy and/or eggs. or maybe just eating that stuff/products w/ that stuff in it occasionally.

cool about the treadmill.....i'd like to get one, too, lol.
We just ordered one on Amazon, that has pretty good reviews.

Weslo Cadence R 5.2 Treadmill

It should be here by the 11th, I plan to beat the heck out of this thing.. I wanna lose some weight, it has been 15 years since I was below 200 lbs.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #19 of 268 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 01:01 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonebox View Post
We just ordered one on Amazon, that has pretty good reviews.

Weslo Cadence R 5.2 Treadmill

It should be here by the 11th, I plan to beat the heck out of this thing.. I wanna lose some weight, it has been 15 years since I was below 200 lbs.
the price is not bad (i'm making a mental note...lol).....hope you like it and it's durable.
post #20 of 268 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Hugging Hangers

that's an incredible accomplishment @splendidbob .
I have this crazy high metabolism so I don't have weight issues but I often wonder how someone who gets to a point similar to where you were--how they can possibly garner the persistence, patience and toughness to make it back to a healthy weight. It's amazing to me. So nice job, dude!

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page