How to look good when you're just starting to bald (24 yrs old) - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Discussion > Health

Old 11-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to look good when you're just starting to bald (24 yrs old)

ok... it's official, I have a visible balding spot (can clearly see red scalp from a distance). Wtf should I do now? I got long hair right now (been trying to live it up), and I don't know what I'm goona do with it now... It's especially embarasing because you can see dandruf in that area and I don't want to go to class today =(

I'd love to hear (and especially see) from ppl with solutions! I'll post a pick of the damage when I get a chance (and when there's no flakes, lol gross).
Old 11-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Are you sure? Your only 24... That seems way to young to be getting a bald spot.

I would check with a physcian first before doing anything. If it really is the case, I guess you could try Rogain (seen they're commericals, they must be legit). I wish the best for you man.
Prakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mine is starting to recede in front. It's not that noticable, but it's there. I keep my hair shaved down, about 1/2 inch. I've been a little curious about all the hair growth treatments, but i'm not going to go waste money on crap that doesn't work. I'm also not going to go around with the standard 45 year old male clown hair look going on so if it gets really bad its all getting shaved down to the skin. Maybe i'll get a cool skull tatoo on the back of my head. That could work.
glarmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Wow...I thought this type of thing only started in the late 30s at the earliest. This is very depressing to know now, I get to look forward to going bald a couple of years down the road.
Prakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

It can start in the early twenties. When my dad was young he starting losing his hair around the same time I did, which was 24.
glarmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

It's actually somewhat common to start balding early-mid 20's. My hairline has been receding as well for the past couple years, I know this because back in highschool my hair covered up a birthmark on my forehead which is now visible... awesome. I'm not too concerned though, when I look around in class I see other people who are noticabley balding as well.
94hours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have a cousin who was completely bald at 23. He makes up for it by wearing a full beard and handlebar mustache
Amocholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think as your hair loss progresses, you'll want to keep your hair shorter. Generally, anything you do to camouflage the thinning will only serve to magnify your discomfort with it. In my experience, the self-discounting bald or balding men do to themselves has more impact than any external issues do.
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Oh god, it might be ten times more gross than I originally thought it was. I need to get more mirrors and figure this out. Here's a pic of it under a bright light though =(

I use a stimulant and am very stressed which may have something to do with the early onset.

I think this spot may have formed because when I put on T-shirts my hair gets tugged in that spot a little bit everytime. I wish I could go back in time and always hold my hair while putting one on, but I'm not sure if it would even help.

Hopefully it doesn't emit that much glare under school lighting... some one would have stopped me by now, right?
telefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have all my hair but if I were going bald, I would cut everything off and go full bald.
coldmorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

I used to have long shaggy hair, once I noticed the receding hairline, I started cutting it real short, almost a buzz now but it looks pretty good that way.
94hours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

About what I was dealing with at 23. I freaked out over it big time, although 3 years later I'm in about the same place I was hairwise.

I'll echo longer hair is a bad idea. I've tried growing it longer since noticing and the weight always makes the thin area more evident. You're still doing fine though, a caesar or a buzzcut and nobody is going to notice it. There's still plenty of hair to do other stuff, just find a good stylist.
ivankaramazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

Dude, you can get hair implants. They take the root system from somewhere on the side of your head where the hair is 100% fine and then they put that up the top where you're balding.
I don't know how much it costs.
Phibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phibes View Post
Dude, you can get hair implants. They take the root system from somewhere on the side of your head where the hair is 100% fine and then they put that up the top where you're balding.
I don't know how much it costs.
Then 20 years from now when those hair follicles are dead too, he can have awesome scars on his bald head to let everybody know how desperate he was to have hair. Fail.
ivankaramazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by telefy View Post
Oh god, it might be ten times more gross than I originally thought it was. I need to get more mirrors and figure this out. Here's a pic of it under a bright light though =(

I use a stimulant and am very stressed which may have something to do with the early onset.

I think this spot may have formed because when I put on T-shirts my hair gets tugged in that spot a little bit everytime. I wish I could go back in time and always hold my hair while putting one on, but I'm not sure if it would even help.

Hopefully it doesn't emit that much glare under school lighting... some one would have stopped me by now, right?
Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't look like a bald spot at all, it looks pretty normal to me. I thought I heard someone say once to just look at the older men in your family and if they started to go bald early, then it might just be a hereditary thing, and if they didn't then you probably have nothing to worry about.
justiss282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

I started losing my hair, on the top at around 24 as well. I shave my head every two weeks. Not a full shave, but a very close shave and you can't tell that there's a bald spot.
mdd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:34 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivankaramazov View Post
Then 20 years from now when those hair follicles are dead too, he can have awesome scars on his bald head to let everybody know how desperate he was to have hair. Fail.
So what.. In that case get the job done again in 15years time.

People go to greater extremes.

Or you could try that laser therapy. Not sure if that works or if it's just a money scam.
Phibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #18 (permalink)

Well, you can shave it all of, believe or not some of us find bald men HOT or you can leave hair very very short. And use Head and Shoulders for the flakes
Old 11-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #19 (permalink)

There are actually quite a few 24ish year old guys who are balding I've noticed... you probably just don't pay attention. I actually think it's kind of hot for some reason. I also prefer really short hair.
And you complicate
In a helpful kind of messed up way
But you have good intentions
yellowpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #20 (permalink)

Shaving it bald/cutting it really short is the best option.
Or maybe dye it blonde so the spot on the back of your head isnt so obvious? Having dark hair makes the bald spot with light skin like magnified. But if you had light hair, it wouldnt be as noticeable.
AstronautsGrapes is offline   Reply With Quote